HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:56 PM

N3 Condo (Zero Parking Condo in East Village)

N3 Condo goes to the Calgary Planning Commission for approval on March 12th, 2015. Now that its been in the media for quite some time, what are your thoughts on it?

Images here: www.n3condo.ca

(I've tried to create a poll, but I seem to be having issues!)

Last edited by atlas_inc; Mar 11, 2015 at 2:57 PM. Reason: Trying to create a POLL but having troubles...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:00 PM
Editor

I love the idea, and have no problem with condo developments not having parking. I don't have any stats, but I believe there is a solid market for this kind of development. Let the market decide.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 5:59 PM
BANNED

i think planning approved it, goes to council tom.

Would like to see some of this in the Beltline and southern inner-city communities in general, where most of the intensification is happening.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 9:15 PM
Inflatable Hippo

I'm okay with it in a location like this where there isn't really much potential for assholes to park on residential streets, although I also know someone who found his (dead) brother's condo in Toronto very difficult to sell when every other similar unit in the building and nearby on the market did have parking.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
i think planning approved it, goes to council tom.

Would like to see some of this in the Beltline and southern inner-city communities in general, where most of the intensification is happening.
Definitely. Not to mention that if a similar building was built in the Beltline, those residents can immediately take advantage of already well developed services easily within walking distance.

If I were to buy one of these - the floor plans and prices look pretty good - I would be the guy would buys it off of the first owners that are "having trouble selling". In 5 years there will be many more services in East Village and make the whole thing even more attractive.

I also love the newspaper comment section on this development. Complete hysteria. "How could anyone possibly live without a car? I don't want anyone to live a life that's different than mine! Way to go Nenshi for ruining the city, this building is your fault!"

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I love the idea, and have no problem with condo developments not having parking. I don't have any stats, but I believe there is a solid market for this kind of development. Let the market decide.
Could not agree more, too many times government tries to dictate what they think is good for the market.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
I'm okay with it in a location like this where there isn't really much potential for assholes to park on residential streets, although I also know someone who found his (dead) brother's condo in Toronto very difficult to sell when every other similar unit in the building and nearby on the market did have parking.
I don't know why people are always worried about parking. Parking spots around the inner city/core are limited to pay parking, permit parking or private parking. If you live in a place like that and have a car, you'll have to find a proper parking spot for it somewhere.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
There are alot of younger people who don't drive these days. They'll have no problem selling those units.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
I don't know why people are always worried about parking. Parking spots around the inner city/core are limited to pay parking, permit parking or private parking. If you live in a place like that and have a car, you'll have to find a proper parking spot for it somewhere.
I think that is "exactly" what PW said...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 3:42 AM
ARTchitecture

I think this development is totally amazing for our city. Not only that, but something like this happening in what is widely considered Canada's most socially conservative city will go a long way towards altering that perception, as will the entire East Village development.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 4:22 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I think this development is totally amazing for our city. Not only that, but something like this happening in what is widely considered Canada's most socially conservative city will go a long way towards altering that perception, as will the entire East Village development.
I'm sorry, where did you say you were from? Where on earth is parking a social issue?

"Jay-sus Christ says that it is tha' will of tha' lawd that there will be parking for the SUV's of the lawfully wedded man and woman of house and that the cyclist heathens will be damned to hell!"

That's what the phrase "socially conservative" means to me.

I would imagine this originated with Mr. Stanley and CMLC and a statement to the effect of "wouldn't it be cool if..."

Last edited by Policy Wonk; Mar 12, 2015 at 7:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 12:24 AM
BANNED

For reference the massive Hudson's Yards proposal in NY totals 17M sf GBA, 5,000 res units, 5 office towers, plus retail/entertainment and only 200 parking stalls. N3 is small peanuts.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...d-requirements

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
For reference the massive Hudson's Yards proposal in NY totals 17M sf GBA, 5,000 res units, 5 office towers, plus retail/entertainment and only 200 parking stalls. N3 is small peanuts.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...d-requirements
It might be hard to compare NYC to Calgary when NYC is the most walkable city on earth. But I do see your point. We still have a loooong way to go. But I do agree this is a great project, that will hopefully get people thinking, "do I really need my car?". And hopefully with people buying into N3 other developers and the city will finally take notice.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
It might be hard to compare NYC to Calgary when NYC is the most walkable city on earth. But I do see your point. We still have a loooong way to go. But I do agree this is a great project, that will hopefully get people thinking, "do I really need my car?". And hopefully with people buying into N3 other developers and the city will finally take notice.
You're right, but just an example. The Hudson Yards project features 9 Bow Towers worth of total square footage. The non inner-city councilors need to get with the times. Urban development is changing extremely fast across major cities. If Calgary wants to become a more pronounced global city, need to be ahead of the curve.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:43 PM

The comments on this tower in the newspapers are just ridiculous! one clown was actually claiming this would become the next Cecil.

I have a feeling most of the units will end up being rented out before long.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
That's how I see it. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few people out there who would love to save a few tens of thousands of dollars on a new condo by sacrificing a parking spot.

I mean, it's not like they're trying to trick anyone. A condo building in the heart of the inner city without parking... I just don't see what's so controversial about it.

As for the rest of the building: I really like it! I'm quite a fan of the floor plans. Two bed/bath units at less than 700 square feet... I'm impressed! Were I in the market, I'd be giving this building a really hard look.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 8:36 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The comments on this tower in the newspapers are just ridiculous! one clown was actually claiming this would become the next Cecil.
If he is willing to wait thirty to forty years, you can probably make that prediction about a lot of developments. Residential succession and absentee amateur landlords are a bitch.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:31 PM

Received very positive feedback at CPC yesterday, goes to council soon.

One thing stood out from the presentation was the overwhelming list of transportation options for the site. 2 blocks from LRT City Hall station (both lines), 1 block from the high-frequency Route 1 / 305 combination, 2 blocks from the pathway system, walking distance to a few thousand downtown jobs and services etc.

It would be hard to have a better site to convince people that an idea like this can actually work. I would have no problems with these scattered throughout the Beltline. It has a similar access to transit and downtown with the bonus of great pedestrian-focused services.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:42 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post

One thing stood out from the presentation was the overwhelming list of transportation options for the site. 2 blocks from LRT City Hall station (both lines), 1 block from the high-frequency Route 1 / 305 combination, 2 blocks from the pathway system, walking distance to a few thousand downtown jobs and services etc.

It would be hard to have a better site to convince people that an idea like this can actually work. I would have no problems with these scattered throughout the Beltline. It has a similar access to transit and downtown with the bonus of great pedestrian-focused services.
Are there other locations outside of Centre city that would work for this type of development (parkless)? Or are the locations that could work if there was mobility improvements?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Still has to get past Shane Homes and co though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates