HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
WTF. It's already sandwiched between two parking lots and a garage. It just doesn't make any sense without more details.
Well there's no plans to build anything, just demolish the buildings and it's not hard to turn an empty lot into a parking lot. Just pave it, paint it, fence it, and add lights and maybe those spikes that pop your tires if you go in the wrong way.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
Well there's no plans to build anything, just demolish the buildings and it's not hard to turn an empty lot into a parking lot. Just pave it, paint it, fence it, and add lights and maybe those spikes that pop your tires if you go in the wrong way.
Didn't think it would be difficult. Just seems silly.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Didn't think it would be difficult. Just seems silly.
Yeah. We need to get people to boycott Joe's so they stop creating more eyesores.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 4:54 PM

Across the street

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 5:37 PM

this popped up in a google search...

Quote:

google maps, la.curbed.com

The long-running, all ages, DIY venue The Smell and several of its neighbors are having a crappy Memorial Day weekend, because Friday afternoon they all received notice that an application had been filed to demolish much of their block of buildings in Downtown Los Angeles. The notices were posted on the doors of businesses along Main Street between Second and Third streets, and apply to the trailblazing gay bar New Jalisco Bar, venue/watering hole the Five Star Bar, the Downtown Independent movie theater, and the Shish Kabob restaurant, in addition to The Smell.

This is basically a heads-up notice alerting the tenants that an application to demolish about half of the block has been filed. (For some reason, the LA Department of Building and Safety website shows this information for the addresses of the businesses closest to the corner of Third and Main—like the Five Star and the Shish Kabob—and for the Downtown Independent, but not for the addresses of the New Jalisco and The Smell, though they did receive the notice.)

I've long disliked the small bldg at the corner of 3rd & main st, although it at least received a somewhat decent paint job awhile back. It used to be a 3 or 4 story bldg over 70 yrs ago, but was shortened to make it less vulnerable in an earthquake. I won't mind seeing it go to the big demolition yard in the sky. But the loss of the independent movie theater, which originally was an old theater that showed japanese films, & was nicely cleaned up several yrs ago is a disappointment.

However, if the owner doesn't allow all that land to rot away as another big gap parking lot over the next several yrs but instead fills it in with nice new devlpt....esp housing.....that will help make that part of dt seem less desolate & tired.

the recent downtownnews.com round up of new projs shows that once again delays in groundbreaking are affecting the apt tower proposed for 4th st & Hill, the apt proj at 5th & olive, barry shy's projs....hardly a surprise....& I don't think even mentions the apt tower planned for 4th & broadway. although I quickly breezed through the list & probably missed a lot of details.

another new smaller apt proj, a block away from the proj shown in blackcat's photo, & across from the weller ct....on a former parking lot in the shadow of LA city hall....is listed as having a groundbreaking delayed from March to June.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 7:57 PM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
You are talking a lot but actually know very little. I'm fairly certain about who is buying the lot and if they are not buying it that is because they were outbid. As it stands today, this is not going to be a parking lot.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
You are talking a lot but actually know very little. I'm fairly certain about who is buying the lot and if they are not buying it that is because they were outbid. As it stands today, this is not going to be a parking lot.
That was pretty hard for me to believe too, just included the bit about the owner as it was all the info I could find.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 8:32 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't have worded it that way, but I agree with your sentiment. Even if it's a parking lot operator that won, they may not be buying this just to build a surface lot. It really only makes sense to build something on it. At least to me. Not that downtown won't continue to build parking lots. I'm sure it will. Unfortunately parking lot owners likely see downtown's boom as a potential parking boom as well. But I think most new lots will be like the structures under construction at 8th/grand and 9th/hope and will include retail. So I'm not going to worry until I hear more.

That being said I recently had a conversation with a guy who's family just sold their parking lot to Joe's Parking. I think that he said it was near the courthouse. Wherever it was Joe's definitely bought their lot with the intention of keeping it a parking lot for the foreseeable future because they asked the family to continue to run it.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I wouldn't have worded it that way, but I agree with your sentiment. Even if it's a parking lot operator that won, they may not be buying this just to build a surface lot. It really only makes sense to build something on it. At least to me. Not that downtown won't continue to build parking lots. I'm sure it will. Unfortunately parking lot owners likely see downtown's boom as a potential parking boom as well. But I think most new lots will be like the structures under construction at 8th/grand and 9th/hope and will include retail. So I'm not going to worry until I hear more.

That being said I recently had a conversation with a guy who's family just sold their parking lot to Joe's Parking. I think that he said it was near the courthouse. Wherever it was Joe's definitely bought their lot with the intention of keeping it a parking lot for the foreseeable future because they asked the family to continue to run it.
Obviously there are regulations and minimums forced on developers to include parking, but do you or anyone else know if there are any regulations to building a parking lot/garage? I feel like the two should be regulated by taking both in mind for the total amount of parking downtown.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:11 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:56 AM

Much much better than the original renderings we saw.. Let's get this underway already

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 7:12 AM

Love it, perfect infill. Start it ASAP!

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 11:49 AM
Ascension

Yes. No gimmicks (aside from a billboard but this is LA), good height and design and a perfect compliment for Apex I. Build it now.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 4:51 PM
BikeMike

You guys won't believe why that building looks like it does compared to the original plans. The old developer blackmailed them with threat of lawsuit to change the designs. He also demanded $$$$ (you can hear the public comments at the planning meeting if you want)

That is also why Apex 2 was supposed to break ground last August but is now breaking ground in 3 months.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 5:39 PM

Whatever works. Glad we're getting this version instead of the Nike shoebox building.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Yes. No gimmicks (aside from a billboard but this is LA), good height and design and a perfect compliment for Apex I. Build it now.
Did the height change?

The Apex 1 has a height of 331.99 Feet (101 Meter), Apex 2 has 312 Feet (95 Meter)?

I don't get too excited about tower under 100 Meter, but the design looks good.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:43 PM

Quote:
You guys won't believe why that building looks like it does compared to the original plans. The old developer blackmailed them with threat of lawsuit to change the designs. He also demanded $$$$ (you can hear the public comments at the planning meeting if you want)

That is also why Apex 2 was supposed to break ground last August but is now breaking ground in 3 months.
You mean Astani? Good if so. He invested heavily in DTLA when few others would and then got screwed out of that property when the recession hit. I recall people here being pretty bullish on concerto as it was called back then. And even more so on what became 8th/grand. I'm glad that he's back downtown and his G12 is one of the nicer looking 7 story developments.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
Did the height change?

The Apex 1 has a height of 331.99 Feet (101 Meter), Apex 2 has 312 Feet (95 Meter)?

I don't get too excited about tower under 100 Meter, but the design looks good.
Where are you seeing these stats?

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:56 PM

I heard some rumors that the Shenglong Group (City Century, LLC operates as a subsidiary) is trying to move forward with it's LA Gateway Project.
It still shows ''under construction, launching soon". I am in contact with City Century and will try to get more details.

Shenglong spent around 30 billion for projects around the world, they paid also one of the highest prices per square foot ever for the Grand Ave and 12th Street site, so I am optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Where are you seeing these stats?
It was actually 317"..

Maybe it changed.

http://www.laocdb.com/la-development...ission-meeting

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 7:07 PM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
You mean Astani? Good if so. He invested heavily in DTLA when few others would and then got screwed out of that property when the recession hit. I recall people here being pretty bullish on concerto as it was called back then. And even more so on what became 8th/grand. I'm glad that he's back downtown and his G12 is one of the nicer looking 7 story developments.
You don't know any of the story. He might have done good stuff in the past, but what he did here was shady as f$&@. I would say more,but it's not in my current best interests.

Last edited by Resident; May 31, 2016 at 11:36 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations