HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
commercial traffic doesnt take transit. You think goods just magically teleport?
Everyone always brings up goods transport despite the fact that most of the road space is taken up by single occupancy cars. It is, in other words, a red herring. Transit is still the best way to address the real problem.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Everyone always brings up goods transport despite the fact that most of the road space is taken up by single occupancy cars. It is, in other words, a red herring. Transit is still the best way to address the real problem.
The problem of road space being unnecessarily taken up by single occupancy vehicles?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
The problem of road space being unnecessarily taken up by single occupancy vehicles?
That's where most of the road space goes. If you want to expedite commercial traffic, the low hanging fruit is all those SOVs.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 8:10 AM

When the Canada Line was built and all the suburban buses discontinued on Seymour and Howe, it made a noticeable difference in traffic flow.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 11:12 AM

One would suspect that reduced congestion was more the result of fewer cars than fewer buses. The Canada's ridership in Week 6 was 82k - no way that all came from cancelled feeder service.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
When the Canada Line was built and all the suburban buses discontinued on Seymour and Howe, it made a noticeable difference in traffic flow.
Blaming buses for congestion is absurd, considering that a bus moves dozens of times more people than the equivalent road space taken up by the cars it replaces. And considering that there are still far and away more cars jockeying for road space than buses.

The reason cars get stuck in congestion is because of cars.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
That will be marginal at best. Adding more traffic lights and making the signal cycles more pedestrian-friendly will more than offset this.
Sure, maybe. Why would you bother taking Broadway for long E-W travel anyway? 12th is almost always a better option, and there are others.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Yep, I see it all the time on Broadway, especially when they allow parking in the curb lanes. Articulated buses lumbering along and changing lanes all the time take up a ton of space and slow everything down.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 5:36 PM

I agree that 30 buses an hour is better than over an additional 1,000 cars an hour but they stop and go quite often, buses constantly pulling out into traffic to leapfrog other buses or because parking is prohibited, etc. It was further exacerbated by the fact that all the local bus routes also ran down Hornby and Seymour while the Canada Line was being built.

Canada Line was a one two punch of pulling suburban buses as well as additional cars off the road.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 6:21 PM

And then there's how some people consider themselves too good for the 3pm cutoff, effectively shutting down that lane for half a block. We can argue about two lanes or three lanes all day, but it's a good thing they're ditching the parking.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
And then there's how some people consider themselves too good for the 3pm cutoff, effectively shutting down that lane for half a block. We can argue about two lanes or three lanes all day, but it's a good thing they're ditching the parking.
it is ridiculous that parking is allowed on arterial's at all. if you really want to help solve congestion a good place to start is make all arterial's "no stopping anytime"

that would help a lot i think in a lot of areas. and the hours should be changed to start at 6am/2pm to give a 1hr buffer to get those cars towed away.

you see at 3:45/4pm cars still parked in the No Stopping zone and not even ticketed yet. i mean really?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
it is ridiculous that parking is allowed on arterial's at all. if you really want to help solve congestion a good place to start is make all arterial's "no stopping anytime"

that would help a lot i think in a lot of areas. and the hours should be changed to start at 6am/2pm to give a 1hr buffer to get those cars towed away.

you see at 3:45/4pm cars still parked in the No Stopping zone and not even ticketed yet. i mean really?
I agree with no parking on arterials. It needs enforcement too though. Right now Broadway is no stopping along the construction route, and there's a non-stop parade of delivery drivers stopping, getting out to pick up orders, etc.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I agree with no parking on arterials. It needs enforcement too though. Right now Broadway is no stopping along the construction route, and there's a non-stop parade of delivery drivers stopping, getting out to pick up orders, etc.
There needs to be alternatives though. Can't just take away all the parking/stopping zones/loading zones and expect business to continue as normal? Businesses need their goods and supplies. Restaurants need to have their orders picked-up on a constant basis.

I'm not familiar with the area, curious if there was viable planning to faciliate these activities. People will choose to break the rules and risk it regardless if there are no alternatives.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 8:21 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
I don't see any parking garages, do you?
Other than "don't drive a car to do your business on Broadway" it's not as simple as telling people who want to shop (or pick up their take-out from the Moderne Burger ) that they need to park on a side street. Most of that is reserved 24 hours for local residents with a permit and the rest is metered parking that is always full.
My $50 ticket says that they are watching you when that 25 cents goes in and you only get three minutes to run two blocks.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
There needs to be alternatives though. Can't just take away all the parking/stopping zones/loading zones and expect business to continue as normal? Businesses need their goods and supplies. Restaurants need to have their orders picked-up on a constant basis.
Yeah, as a Meals on Wheels volunteer I can really appreciate the need to have some designated loading zones. The experience has given me a whole new respect for delivery drivers in general...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 8:49 PM

Quote:

I'm not familiar with the area, curious if there was viable planning to faciliate these activities. People will choose to break the rules and risk it regardless if there are no alternatives.
Do those businesses not have back doors?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 9:07 PM

Since the parking lane is becoming a sidewalk, a hybrid delivery/taxi/carpool zone every 3-4 blocks should be acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Do those businesses not have back doors?
You really don't want heavy traffic in a back alley. Cars can't even pass each other sometimes.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 9:08 PM

Quote:

The ones I see this the most in are all meters. Loading zones are fine and can be created. They don't exist now.

I'm sure these same people were stopping at the meters and not paying either.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I don't see any parking garages, do you?
There are garages and other pay options in the area. People are cheap/lazy.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Sure, maybe. Why would you bother taking Broadway for long E-W travel anyway? 12th is almost always a better option, and there are others.
Seemingly oddly, Broadway feels quicker eastbound PM than 12th and 4th right now. The lack of turning traffic dramatically speeds up traffic. Definitely not a long-term change though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure