HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:42 PM

So why did they demolish part of Granville Street Bridge?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
So why did they demolish part of Granville Street Bridge?
They took the spiral ramps away at the north end, so they're rebuilding the part of the bridge where they used to be.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 3:54 PM

Demolition is now in progress for the main approach viaduct north of Pacific.
This will be rebuilt on solid fill so that the new development can fully integrate without needing to leave room for maintenance of the bridge structure.

Last edited by madog222; Mar 14, 2024 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 3:08 AM

Thanks!
That explains the diversion of all traffic to Seymour:

From Trish Jewison twitter:

https://twitter.com/TrishJewison/sta...259564/photo/4

https://twitter.com/TrishJewison/sta...259564/photo/3

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks!

From Trish Jewison twitter:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
Screen grab and gif from giallo's Vancouver House Post #2886 with a gracious written consent, thank you!

[IMG]...gif[/IMG]
https://makeagif.com/i/tsP7-E

[img]...[/img]
[img]...[/img]
[img]...[/img]
[img]...[/img]
[img]...[/img]
Seeing this shocked or surprised me, I was unaware the bridge deck (approach slab) connecting to the Granville corridor was also being demolished.
When walking by on Drake St. I tough they where just scaping the old paved surface to be resurfaced.

This morning

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

From Trish Jewison twitter:

https://twitter.com/TrishJewison/sta...259564/photo/4

What a predictable sh!tshow.

Pathetic the city couldn't pry its hand off parking meter revenue and do the right thing and eliminate meter parking on the eastern curb lane on Seymour from Davie to at least Helmcken to make up for the lane lost to the bus barriers on Seymour at Davie.

On the other hand, is this a daily occurrence or just yesterday (and today I think) when the Cambie Street bridge is closed due to filming (I wonder who the idot at City Hall was who approved that).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
On the other hand, is this a daily occurrence or just yesterday (and today I think) when the Cambie Street bridge is closed due to filming (I wonder who the idot at City Hall was who approved that).
Hard to tell, but there look to be cars on Cambie Bridge:

https://twitter.com/TrishJewison/sta...259564/photo/2

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:56 AM

Quote:

Pathetic the city couldn't pry its hand off parking meter revenue and do the right thing and eliminate meter parking on the eastern curb lane on Seymour from Davie to at least Helmcken to make up for the lane lost to the bus barriers on Seymour at Davie.

I think it's a daily occurrence.. outside of rush hour it's backing up to the crosswalk most of the time. They should block off the connection to Seymour from Pacific while they're at it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 1:00 AM

So I'm assuming that the north bridge viaduct that is being demolished didn't perform some sort of buttressing function that is now lost to thin air before they backfill with an earth-filled abuttment.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 1:49 AM

Quote:
So I'm assuming that the north bridge viaduct that is being demolished didn't perform some sort of buttressing function that is now lost to thin air before they backfill with an earth-filled abuttment.
Maybe the piers next to the main bridge span but you assume those sections are structurally independent.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Maybe the piers next to the main bridge span but you assume those sections are structurally independent.
Yeah, the cantilever steel doesn't start until near the social housing building

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 2:24 AM

Quote:

The image says it was photographed last week, and posted on March 9th, so it shows rush hour in the first week the bridge closure was initiated.

I've been past, and across the bridge on foot several times when it isn't rush hour, and it's fine - barely any backup at all. The two lanes of the off-ramp generate the traffic backup, and the volume of traffic determines how far back the traffic ends up on the bridge. If you check the volume of traffic coming out of Downtown on the Burrard Bridge in the other image it's also backed up for about half the length of the bridge, and they're not doing any road works in Kitsilano. The traffic keeps clearing, and doesn't back up far enough to impact any other junctions. It's not carmageddon, it's just the time of day when the picture was taken - to quote you on another topic - meh.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 3:18 AM

realistically all arterial roads should be no stopping anytime. the full 4 lanes should be open the entire time to move traffic. they should also properly time the "green wave" because it doesnt seem to work that well.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 4:23 AM

Yeah, Trish Jewison is a traffic reporter, so would be surveying the scene when traffic is heaviest.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 4:38 AM

^^ Might have been during one of those Palestinian protest marches downtown.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 2:33 PM
(daka_x)

Quote:

Unfortunately, it is 100% daily/every day.

I've been through it on a bus. Northbound is a minimum 15-20 minute delay for every route regardless of time of day. It is only caused by the constraint in capacity, there were no other events influencing the volume on the days I was heading downtown/in downtown.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
Seeing this shocked or surprised me, I was unaware the bridge deck (approach slab) connecting to the Granville corridor was also being demolished.
Holy CRAP! I had no idea that was in the scope. Wow is the city going to rue the day. Or maybe it won't. Maybe it will keep telling itself Rome is perfectly fine while it burns.

To use a medical comparison, please tell me how clogging arteries is a good thing?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Holy CRAP! I had no idea that was in the scope. Wow is the city going to rue the day. Or maybe it won't. Maybe it will keep telling itself Rome is perfectly fine while it burns.

To use a medical comparison, please tell me how clogging arteries is a good thing?
You do understand this is for construction and not the final configuration?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I think it's a daily occurrence.. outside of rush hour it's backing up to the crosswalk most of the time. They should block off the connection to Seymour from Pacific while they're at it.
Yes, I really noticed once the loops were removed how the traffic on that stub of Seymour from Pacific to Drake was messing up flow off the bridge. There are still plenty of people who want to get from the bridge to westbound Pacific and they have to quickly cut over from the off-ramp to make a right onto Drake. That’s often blocked by people trying to get out of the Seymour stub. That’s one reason the city needs to make the south curb lane of Seymour from Drake to Helmcken a no parking zone. Unless there’s some fire lane requirement for the Seymour stub, get rid of it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, I really noticed once the loops were removed how the traffic on that stub of Seymour from Pacific to Drake was messing up flow off the bridge. There are still plenty of people who want to get from the bridge to westbound Pacific and they have to quickly cut over from the off-ramp to make a right onto Drake...
"Plenty of people" being five cars a minute at most; every time I walked across the west loop, it was near-empty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure