HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 2:26 AM
Metal Up Your !

Oh man, definitely not holding my breath for this one (facade)...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 1:29 AM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...hop-architects

First permit for residential tower at AY filed

August 23, 2011

[quote]Atlantic Yards and Forest City CEO Bruce RatnerForest City Ratner has filed its first application with the Department of Buildings for its planned construction of a residential tower at Atlantic Yards, Brownstoner reported.

The permit seeks to build a 33-story, 368-unit tower at Flatbush Avenue and Dean Street, right next to the arena. Half of the building's units will be affordable housing. According to Brownstoner, it is not yet clear if the tower, designed by SHoP architects, will be prefrabricated. SHoP's website does not yet show any renderings for the site.

Put a link in the highrise forum:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193371

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 4:30 PM

um,that facade looks rather..bad.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 12:09 AM
BANNED

Very impressive arena!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:46 AM
New Yorker for life

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.3108402

Ratner and Yormark meet with NHL officials

Aug 19, 2011
By Katie Strang

Quote:
A league spokesperson confirmed to Newsday reports that Barclays Center developer Bruce Ratner and CEO Brett Yormark met with NHL officials at the league office in Manhattan recently. The spokesperson declined to discuss the nature of the meeting, but an additional league source defined it as "very general and conceptual in nature."

One question that has surfaced repeatedly with regards to the Barclays Center is whether the arena's limited capacity--believed to be about 14,000 for hockey-- would be a deterrent.

However, each evaluation is "situation based" by the NHL. "We have no set seating capacity or requirements established," the league spokesperson said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 10:47 PM

And now the glass is going up....

http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/8/25/2...arclays-center

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 5:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 3:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Meanwhile, just accross...

http://brooklynpaper.com/stories/34/...11_9_2_bk.html
Bollard backtrack! MTA reverses course on Atlantic Terminal security sarcophagi

The original security perimter was massive.

The new bollards at the Atlantic Terminal will be similar to these reasonable protective pilons on Tillary Street
near the city’s 911 call center. Our intern Alfred Ng shows how unobtrusive they are.

The original rendering of the Long Island Rail Road terminal showed no security perimeter at all.

By Daniel Bush
August 30, 2011

Quote:
The MTA has agreed to tear out the massive granite barricades ringing the Long Island Rail Road’s Atlantic Terminal, finally admitting that the concrete coffins at the borough’s largest transit hub were excessive and ugly.

Starting in February, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority will rip out the 14 stone sarcophagi and replace them with a series of short metal bollards at the entrance to the $106-million Atlantic Terminal, which opened to immediate criticism in January, 2010.

http://www.streetsblog.org/2011/08/3...ing-sidewalks/
Nets Fans Get No Assist From Atlantic Yards’ Shrinking Sidewalks

by Brad Aaron on August 30, 2011

Quote:
In June we wondered whether Forest City Ratner would make the most of the Barclays Center’s potential as a destination for pedestrians, transit riders and cyclists. Recent developments are less than encouraging.

Gib Veconi noted a couple of weeks back on Atlantic Yards Watch that a July proposal from Ratner to NYC DOT regarding bollard placement shows that sidewalks around the arena may be much narrower than what Ratner and the Empire State Development Corporation originally led the public to believe.

Public comments on the Ratner bollard plan will be accepted through September 22

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 10:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:48 AM
BANNED

This is a beautiful stadium.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 4:22 PM

That facade is AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZIIINNGGG.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 4:44 PM

You can all have ur own opinion. I have my own. It looks like a big rusty bucket. Ugly as sin.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 6:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seat24inNJ View Post
You can all have ur own opinion. I have my own. It looks like a big rusty bucket. Ugly as sin.

I'll take this over another boring brick and glass facade that you see everywhere.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 8:55 PM
BROOKLYN

Woah. This going to be one helluva a stadium.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I'll take this over another boring brick and glass facade that you see everywhere.
You are right... it is everywhere!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seat24inNJ View Post
I'm with you Seat24inNJ. I see nothing appealing with rusted fish scales. There could have been so many other ways to make this unique and appealing.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:42 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

I'll wait until there is more of the facade to form my opinion but as of right now... MEH!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 5:06 PM

I love it as well. Though I suppose a good alternative to the rusted steel would be terracotta that comes in a variety colors. But I like the patterns and shape. It's a welcome departure from typical stadium architecture and the recent post-retro designs of curving metal and glass. The rusted metal shell-hat-creampie is definitely unique.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
The rusted metal shell-hat-creampie is definitely unique.
Ha! I was thinking more along the lines of a bloated intergalactic cargo ship, floating noislessly through Orions belt (geek). I love it as well, and think more people will as time goes on.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:20 AM
Khurram Parvaz

I love but at the same time hate the fact how people just stand around construction sites let alone one of this magnitude and just unwaringly talk or just pass by. Maybe i could give it a pass if the pic was taken at the wrong time and the person saw something shiny and looked down, but its inexcusable that in every pic of every high profile entity I see literally sheep just walking by ex. Carnegie 57. Thats why I love the forum where people are just like you and actually have some intelligance of what's going on around us, and it gives you a sigh of relief that there are some people out there who somewhat make the world a better place. sorry for the rant and of topic comment. Great progress cant wait to go when its completed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction