HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:21 PM

Naw, I'm going to say we max out around 93 this year.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djesus777 View Post
Hopefully, this spike in homicides isn't a trajectory of what's to come. I was hoping we'd go below 23 this year but I guess not. Still got 1 1/2 months left this year.
Its a very minor increase over the past few years. Definitely no cause for concern.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Gatineau is now at 4.

If we stay there we will end the year with a rate of about 1.4 per 100,000.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 8:36 PM

Toronto - 90
Peel Region - 23
York Region - 9
Durham Region - 9
Halton Region - 2

Total - 133

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 9:42 PM
ハルウララ

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...-eng.htm?HPA=1

Courtesy StatCan:

Homicide in Canada hit its highest rate in almost a decade in 2017. Much of the increase was the result of more firearm-related and gang-related incidents. The firearm-related homicide rate increased 18% from 2016 to 0.72 per 100,000 population—the highest rate since 1992.

Police reported 660 homicide victims in Canada in 2017, 48 more than in 2016. The homicide rate rose 7% in 2017 to 1.80 victims per 100,000 population—the highest level since 2009.

While homicide continues to be a relatively rare occurrence in Canada, representing less than 0.2% of all police-reported violent Criminal Code offences in 2017, homicide rates are considered benchmarks for levels of violent activity both in Canada and internationally.

In 2017, two provinces drove the national increase in homicides: British Columbia with 118 victims, up 30 from 2016, and Quebec, which reported 93 victims, up 26.

In 2017, police services reported 148 victims of homicide in rural areas of Canada, 36 more than in 2016. This represented 22% of all homicides nationwide, even though people living in rural areas accounted for 16% of the Canadian population.

Vancouver reported 52 homicide victims in 2017, its highest number since 2009. A rise in firearm-related incidents contributed to the increase. Overall, 48% of victims in Vancouver were killed by a firearm compared with 44% in 2016, representing an increase of 7 victims. Most firearm-related homicide victims (68%) in Vancouver were killed with a handgun.

The increase in Québec was the result of the January 2017 mass shooting that occurred at the Islamic Cultural Centre of Québec.

CMAs with highest rates per 100K, 2017:
Thunder Bay 5.8
Abbotsford-Mission 4.72
Edmonton 3.49
Brantford 3.36
Regina 3.15

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail.../t002a-eng.htm

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 7:41 AM

I'm curious what the same report will say for 2018, I feel like Ontario might go up due to the spate of gun violence there this year. BC maybe down from 2017 which was a really bad year and this year doesn't seem as bad

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 8:04 PM

Well here it is:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/1...er_a_23594924/

NEWS
11/20/2018 11:46 EST | Updated 11/21/2018 09:51 EST

Toronto Has Highest Homicide Rate Among Major Canadian Cities For 2018
It's been a violent year.
By Samantha Beattie

After a violent year, Toronto has the highest homicide rate out of Canada's largest cities.
After the deaths of a former high school football player and an assault victim, Toronto has the distinction of having the highest homicide rate of Canada's largest cities.

At 3.3 homicides for every 100,000 people, Toronto easily surpasses cities including Winnipeg with a rate of 2.6 and Hamilton, Ont. at 1.1, as of Monday.

"I am a little bit surprised to see this to be honest, because historically Toronto has been below the national average," said Jooyoung Lee, a sociology professor at University of Toronto.

Canada's homicide rate in 2017 was 1.8 homicides for every 100,000 people, according to Statistics Canada. There are year-to-year fluctuations to the national homicide rate, but generally it has been declining. Homicides are considered rare in Canada. In 2016 police reported them as accounting for less than 0.2 per cent of violent crimes.

HUFFPOST CANADA/GRAPHIC
Data provided by police services and Statistics Canada.
On Sunday, Toronto broke its own record of 89 homicides set in 1991. Lee said one theory for the uptick in Toronto homicides this year is that there are more firearms in circulation and "people in vulnerable situations have more access to firearms."

Cardinal Licorish, 23, was shot in a Scarborough apartment building on Sunday. He was found in a stairwell with gunshot wounds and pronounced dead at the scene. No arrest has been made.

HUFFPOST CANADA
Cardinal Licorish, 23, succumbed to gunshot wounds in a Scarborough apartment building Sunday.
Licorish was a former high school football player, and developed a reputation on the field as someone with a "desire to succeed." He was hardworking, passionate and never missed practices, said a former coach, who didn't want to be named because he feared for his safety.

"He was a good guy to coach," he said.

On Monday, Paul Tonya, 47 who had been assaulted near Moss Park in east downtown died of his injuries, putting Toronto's homicide number at 91. Trevor Clarke has been charged with manslaughter.

Toronto's 91 homicides so far this year is a jump from 65 in 2017, but that's partly because of the van attack in April that killed 10 people. Excluding the van attack, Toronto's homicide rate would still be 2.9 per 100,000 people — still higher than any other major city in Canada.

Homicides increased in recent years alongside a significant jump in shootings, said Lee. So far in 2018, there have been 364 shooting incidents and 497 victims, according to police data. That's more than double 166 shootings and 207 victims in 2014.

"That's a pretty troubling statistic and raises the interesting question of how many firearms are out there?" Lee said, adding there's limited data on the number of unregistered guns in circulation.

Forward-looking, public health-oriented initiatives are needed to address this level of violence, said Lee. Most important will be ensuring the city supports more community programs to help at-risk youth stay away from crime.

Mayor John Tory told reporters Monday Toronto shouldn't accept "any kind of new normal."

"We have to double, triple and quadruple our resolve to do whatever we can," the mayor said, promising to review how youth programs and initiatives are being funded.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 12:55 AM

I’m pretty sure Toronto has mostly always been above Canada’s national homicide rate

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 1:50 PM
BANNED

interesting reveal on CDAN yesterday relating to one of the higher profile Toronto murders in 2017..
(for those unfamiliar, CDAN was source of a lot of pre-"meToo" leaks, so deemed fairly credible, albeit mostly hollywood oriented)

wonder which reserve(s) they were running illegal tests on?

https://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2...ary-month.html

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:40 PM

Ottawa at 16, I think, after a 27 year old man was shot and killed last night in the parking lot of a shopping centre in the south end of town.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Ottawa at 16, I think, after a 27 year old man was shot and killed last night in the parking lot of a shopping centre in the south end of town.
I believe it's 17.

I must say that things have calmed down quite a bit in Ottawa in recent months. The first part of the year was much more "murderous" and at the time it looked like the city might end up with 25-30 homicides.

But that won't be the case, I gather.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I believe it's 17.

I must say that things have calmed down quite a bit in Ottawa in recent months. The first part of the year was much more "murderous" and at the time it looked like the city might end up with 25-30 homicides.

But that won't be the case, I gather.
The gang dispute earlier this year led to a new modus vivendi, as I understand it. The more recent cases seem mostly to be drug deals gone bad.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 4:13 PM

Toronto - 92
Peel Region - 24
Durham Region - 10
York Region - 9
Halton Region - 2

= 137

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:08 AM
I am a typical

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...-jacob-1153474

Body found in Chapples Park identified as Braiden Jacob
Jacob, 17, was reported missing on Dec. 6

Quote:
A source close to Jacob's family confirmed the identity with TBT News late Sunday evening.

Thunder Bay Police were called to Chapples Park Sunday morning just after 11:30 a.m. after a passerby located what they believed to be a body.
He was in town to receive grief counseling. This is the third indigenous youth to die under suspicious circumstances in 18 months.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 11:42 AM

The latest one in Sauga is in the same neighbourhood of another teenage murder a decade ago or so. Right off Truscott.

When I started my house search a few years ago the very first house we looked at was just off Truscott. You know, see what you can get for your budget.

Well first thing we saw was garbage bags at the curb but garbage day a few days away. No big deal. Then a couple dozen empties under the porch. Then a keypad lock for the front door with a note saying don't worry about dog barking, he's in a cage.

Walk in, first thing I see other than a german sheppard is a bunch of fishing rods with musky lures. I thought cool, I'm a big angler myself. But that was the last positive thing we saw inside.

Next to all this was a stand up tanning bed that accepts coins. Walk down the hallway and all three bedrooms have keypad locks. Walk down to the basement and there's a massage table. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

So basically this was either a bawdy house or a rooming house. Either way, must have been illegal and hence why it was for sale.

We already knew Truscott had a reputation. This confirmed it.

The neighbourhood has improved over the years for the same reason as in Toronto. People moving to less desirable areas in search of affordability. Great potential here. Real mature with lots of big trees, long driveways and spacious yards.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:40 PM

Toronto and Brampton projected to be way over their 2017 homicide rates. Edmonton and Calgary down a lot.

https://homicidecanada.com/10-bigges...ber-10th-2018/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Toronto and Brampton projected to be way over their 2017 homicide rates. Edmonton and Calgary down a lot.

https://homicidecanada.com/10-bigges...ber-10th-2018/
I think there might be an error in the way the rate has been calculated for Montreal.

It lists 1.7 million as the population but the number of murders is for the area patrolled by the SPVM which is Montreal city police but it also patrols all of the on-island suburbs. Basically 300,000 more people. So the population should be 2 million, not 1.7 million.

As a result the rate for Montreal per 100,000 is likely 1.4 or 1.5 per 100,000, not 1.8.

These stats also put Toronto's rate in line with that of NYC - we've been predicting that would happen since earlier this year.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 11:11 PM

London is doing OK...…….still at 4.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 11:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
London is doing OK...…….still at 4.
It's the Quebec City of Ontario!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:07 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Woah that’s a pretty impressive (in a good way) number for London.

By the way, https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lDxLMOERbPKm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada