HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 10:36 PM

A post on the B-Engaged Blog talks about the longstanding cooperation between the B Street Theater and Randy Paragary. I think it's basically an advertisement for Paragary restaurants. However, one section jumped out at me:
Quote:
After the Sofia opens in February, Paragary’s will begin construction on a new hotel right next door. The Sacramento Staycation could become one of the most delightful experiences for residents from Roseville, Grass Valley, Granite Bay… even Midtowners who just want a night of crazy fun. A night of great food, great theatre, and a relaxing bed in a beautiful new hotel. The future is bright for Sacramento.

Source:
https://bstreetbengaged.wordpress.com/
Paragary’s & B Street: A Match Made in Sacramento
DECEMBER 11, 2017
This is the hotel that the advertisement is mentioning:
Quote:
Paragary proposes six-story boutique hotel in midtown

By Mark Anderson – Staff Writer, Sacramento Business Journal
Dec 2, 2015, 7:16am
Restaurateur Randy Paragary is reviving plans to build a boutique hotel in midtown Sacramento — and this time, he's going all out.

He’s proposing a six-story, 107-room hotel within a block of the Sutter Medical Center. The $20 million building would be built on the site of the current Cafe Bernardo building at 28th and Capitol Avenue.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...que-hotel.html
Here's sketch from the Vrilakas Groen Architects website:

I've been wondering about this project. Could it actually happen? Let's hope.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 9:46 PM

^^^ "Could it actually happen? Let's hope." Haha when was the last time you set foot in Midtown Sacramento?

I will say the the bit about "Staycation" is silly though I can see partying residents from the suburbs wanting to stay overnight I can't imagine Midtowners wanting to "vacation" in Midtown. It will also cater to people visiting family and friends at Sutter Hospital across the street.

Last edited by ozone; Dec 13, 2017 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 9:45 PM

It's an advertisement!!! I'm more interested in whether the ad is a sign that this project has legs or not.

What does me stepping foot in mid-town have to do with anything? The future looks bright, but there are lots of proposals, even in good times, that don't pan out.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
It's an advertisement!!! I'm more interested in whether the ad is a sign that this project has legs or not.

What does me stepping foot in mid-town have to do with anything? The future looks bright, but there are lots of proposals, even in good times, that don't pan out.

I really hope this happens, it will improve the huge imbalance that the giant parking garage next door created and will add needed hotel rooms near east sac/the freeway, and the medical center.

Personally it would bring Sacramento up to three hotels that I will let my family stay at lol.. the Citizen, the Sawyer and this new one.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:12 PM

You guys and gals should check out this video on the new Brightline rail service in SE Florida-just imagine if we had something like this going to the Bay and perhaps RT could run a fast light rail from downtown to SMF (not a route on Truxel as that would be a slow painful ride for folks right off a plane who want to get to a downtown hotel room fast-ok maybe a stop at Del Paso Rd near hotels there). Anyway here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-eNFxkNWHM

I think I' gonna contact my state assembly person about this-and plus these are of course made at the Sacramento Siemens plant.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:16 PM

Delete

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 7:37 PM

Here's an article about the ridiculousness of preservation:

Quote:
Federal government: Moss Building on Capitol Mall isn't historic
By Ben van der Meer – Staff Writer, Sacramento Business Journal
January 23, 2018

One of the oldest buildings on Capitol Mall is an obvious example of mid-century modern architecture, and it’s also seen its share of history as a former federal courthouse...

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...itol-mall.html
That building is not worthy of historic preservation. It may be an example of Midcentury Modern architecture, but it's hardly a first class example; and there's no beauty to it. I can understand wanting to preserve a building like the SMUD headquarters or the entrance to the Sacramento Zoo, but this is just a blah building from the 1960s. Ironically, its construction was part of a movement to gut the city's west end of its truly historic buildings. Supporters of its preservation point to the trials of Squeaky Fromme and the Unibomber as enough to qualify (probably because they realize no reasonable person would look at that building and think it's worthy of protection); but that is just silly.

What's next? Should we nominate all the Buzz boxes along the R Street Corridor because they are excellent examples of cheap, single-story, tilt-up buildings that are poor uses of valuable central city land? How about the State Office Buildings on Capitol Mall? Why not call them "historic"?

Last edited by snfenoc; Jan 24, 2018 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:18 PM

snfenoc, you are only arguing with one member of this board and you know who that is. Almost all of us here are frothing at the mouth to tear down and replace the 1960s crap that was built in the 60s.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 8:14 PM

So what? I can't post these items and complain about their lunacy?

I certainly will take every opportunity I can to go after power hungry control freaks, like wburg and his activist buddies. However, I suspect wburg blocked me a long time ago; so I'm really not that interested in sticking it to him, My bigger goal is to get YOU guys involved, especially since I don't live in Sacramento anymore. (I have been told by commission and council members that, "you have no standing because you live in Southern California.") Also, I can't readily attend meetings. However, many of you have standing and can attend meetings. Hold these people, including wburg, accountable. They are trying to control what gets developed. Do you want them to have that control? I mean, it's to the point that they're claiming an ugly, boring, good-for-nothing, 60s era federal building is worth of preservation! That's ridiculous. Obviously, they are trying to take more power than they deserve. So get off your asses and complain! Hold their feet to the fire!

Additionally, this is a discussion board. We have discussions. We argue. We post pictures. We float rumors. Remember that? What happened to all of you?

Last edited by snfenoc; Jan 24, 2018 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 4:47 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
You guys and gals should check out this video on the new Brightline rail service in SE Florida-just imagine if we had something like this going to the Bay and perhaps RT could run a fast light rail from downtown to SMF (not a route on Truxel as that would be a slow painful ride for folks right off a plane who want to get to a downtown hotel room fast-ok maybe a stop at Del Paso Rd near hotels there). Anyway here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-eNFxkNWHM

I think I' gonna contact my state assembly person about this-and plus these are of course made at the Sacramento Siemens plant.

Isn't that what we call Capital Corridor here? Not seeing how it is different. There is 11.85 billion dollars in improvements planned for Sac -> Oakland to greatly increase travel time.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:16 PM

^ Yes that's the Capitol Corridor I was referring to and I didn't know about the 11.85 bil in improvements to it. I do know that Union Pacific and CalTrans is about start construction on a 3rd track from downtown Sac station to Roseville. I've been here 3 yrs and I do need to look up stuff on this-thanks for the info bro.

Oh btw I liked Brightline's new fresh look, the fact it had high platform stations and the loads of space in the cars.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:43 PM

I agree 100% It doesn't cost a lot of money to do these things.

http://www.sactownmag.com/February-M...ng-Sacramento/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
I agree 100% It doesn't cost a lot of money to do these things.

http://www.sactownmag.com/February-M...ng-Sacramento/
I've been saying for years that we need to get the building lights turned back on and the fountains flowing.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 8:08 PM

Does anyone have knowledge as to why the city does not get the lights turned back on? Our cities appearance would change dramatically at night if the lights were on! West sac too.
Also I remember reading an article a few months back and the capitol fountain was suppose to be turned back on by now.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:01 PM

If anyone has any ideas on how to get some of this stuff going, esp the fountains, sign me up!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:34 PM
Kodachrome

Write the city councilmembers, write the people on the Water Committee. Go to the
meetings and speak up during open session. For nearly 10 years I was one of maybe
three people on this forum who took our ideas from here on this forum directly to the city
council meetings. I assure you, nobody on the council reads this forum, so if you want
your voice to be hear you have to do the leg work and show up again and again.
Wburg has been down there pushing back on everything for nearly 20 years.

The Water Committee meets maybe once a year, so don’t expect to be heard till they
meet in Nov. In the meantime contact the city council members. If you pester them
enough you might get to talk to them one on one. I have several times including former mayors.

http://sacramento.granicus.com/ViewP...php?view_id=21

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 10:10 PM

http://www.sactownmag.com/Blog/2017/Capitol-fountain/
Here is the article I was referring to earlier about the fountains

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 10:13 PM

Also being able to go to the top of the capitol dome is something that is quite interesting too

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 1:23 AM

It seems that the Kings are going to unveil their pitch next week to host the NBA All Star Game sometime in 2022 or 2023.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 5:03 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

The proposal has 301CM as a baren wasteland still in 2023. Probably a safe bet!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area