HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:44 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I would hope a citizens petition without any sort of transparency isn't sufficient. We should be able to know who collected the signatures, why and how before we have a referendum.

Anyway, the populace has been back-handing NIMBYs left, right and center for 12 months now. Bring it and we'll kill this one too.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 9:50 PM

There needs to be some change in the law or city ordinance that deals with these petitions. The number of people required to sign may have made sense when Austin was much smaller, but we have boomed in population since then. It's too easy to get 20K signatures; literally anything could be forced into a public vote for a relatively small amount of $$$ and a good organizer.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 10:13 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
There needs to be some change in the law or city ordinance that deals with these petitions. The number of people required to sign may have made sense when Austin was much smaller, but we have boomed in population since then. It's too easy to get 20K signatures; literally anything could be forced into a public vote for a relatively small amount of $$$ and a good organizer.
Start two petitions - one: to swipe this one from the ballot (should it make it there) and two: to increase the amount of signatures needed to place items on any given ballot.

*If there was proven fraud in the securing of these signatures (i.e., lying or spreading disinformation while canvassing), is there legal precedence to nullify this petition?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 10:27 PM

Statesman Reporter: Phil Jankowski
NEW: City of Austin spox tells me that a May 4 election on soccer petition disallowed under City Charter provision preventing 2 petition elections within 6 months of each other. Goes against "Friend of McKalla" wishes. #MLS2ATX

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 1:33 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
NEW: City of Austin spox tells me that a May 4 election on soccer petition disallowed under City Charter provision preventing 2 petition elections within 6 months of each other. Goes against "Friend of McKalla" wishes. #MLS2ATX
If that is true...AWESOME!

However, they will try again. This petition had a grandfather clause in it which would/could still be detrimental. However, even if they can get it on the November ballot, hopefully construction would have already commenced. If so, their is far more legal precedence to squash it from the city - as they would/could be sued out the wazu!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Start two petitions - one: to swipe this one from the ballot (should it make it there) and two: to increase the amount of signatures needed to place items on any given ballot.
Brilliant

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:10 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
If that is true...AWESOME!

However, they will try again. This petition had a grandfather clause in it which would/could still be detrimental. However, even if they can get it on the November ballot, hopefully construction would have already commenced. If so, their is far more legal precedence to squash it from the city - as they would/could be sued out the wazu!
Also, if you can push it to the November ballot you'll get better turnout at the polls than a May initiative. They played themselves with their own (losing) anti code-next prop.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 11:03 PM
Resident Moron

Oh, the team is officially official with MLS now. Big party downtown. Come drink!

Stadium construction starts in September for completing in Feb/March 2021 (uhhh.. may need a temporary stadium anyway)

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:26 PM

It looks like the city clerk approved the petition against the stadium. http://https://www.kvue.com/article/...0-2426ba43f194

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:11 AM

Whether it affects the progress or not, my hate for the people driving the petition is intensifying

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:13 AM
Meh

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Whether it affects the progress or not, my hate for the people driving the petition is intensifying
I found they do have a Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/FairPlayATX/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyLine View Post
I found they do have a Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/FairPlayATX/
Thanks, but have you ever tried reasoning with people like that? You can't. They sit around waiting for an opportunity to pick a fight and make it their Game of Thrones.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:50 PM

Ugh.....this is so embarrassing for the city. I cannot wait to support the candidate running against Leslie Pool.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Ugh.....this is so embarrassing for the city.
Not really. Every city has them. They all pine for the "way things were" and generally oppose any and all development.

We must protect our beloved brownfields at all costs!! /s

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:57 PM
Resident Moron

So, Austin FC has said this doesn't affect them.

So, this is for future deals.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
make it their Game of Thrones.
never watched that show, please go on.....

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
never watched that show, please go on.....
Fighting for the throne or independence from it. Fighting the majority for the interest of the minority. Self serving obsession disguised as selflessness, for the good of all of Austin in this case. Maybe my analogy sucked a bit. But even if they got 50K to sign their petition, that's still a tiny percentage trying to force their will on the majority. At least in Game of Thrones, the cause is just, here...I don't see any impact on the opposers. There are better, more important things going on in Austin to fight for.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 12:32 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Fighting for the throne or independence from it. Fighting the majority for the interest of the minority. Self serving obsession disguised as selflessness, for the good of all of Austin in this case. Maybe my analogy sucked a bit. But even if they got 50K to sign their petition, that's still a tiny percentage trying to force their will on the majority. At least in Game of Thrones, the cause is just, here...I don't see any impact on the opposers. There are better, more important things going on in Austin to fight for.

Yes. Absolutely. There are much more important things for which to fight. But, they don't care.

I hope you guys kill this in November (if not before through some legal action). Ridiculous. Austin needs to alter this rule to allow this crap. At least make it harder to achieve.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin