HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 12:02 AM

Does anyone know whats the status on the Coronado Bridge Lighting project I know they delayed it but does anyone know if its even active anymore?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
As I said in the original post, it's the Manchester Pacific Gateway. Largest project in SD history, 8 blocks worth of High/Mid rises.

Don't expect to see much more than a dirt patch when you visit though, it's a 4 year project and they're not even done with the underground portions yet.
I wish the tallest of the towers went up to (or close to) the 500' height limit. Instead it seems to stop short, at maybe 400 feet? Correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise good.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 12:10 PM

Can't get over how the SD skyline has grown over the last 20 years.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I wish the tallest of the towers went up to (or close to) the 500' height limit. Instead it seems to stop short, at maybe 400 feet? Correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise good.
I liked the previous design much better. It looked very much more 1940s era Art Deco. The current design seems to have more of a resemblance to the steel and glass residential towers going up. But it’s still great development for downtown.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 7:43 AM

That Manchester rendering looks like it's got a couple of 'super talls' off in the background.
Artistic license? Or do they know something..... Ha!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 9:22 PM
Babylon falling

Are you guys still worried about 7th and Market now after reading the Cisterra quote in the recent UT write up? Seems to me like the economy will hold at least until the summer so the project should get financing soon. Remember Manchester went through the same issue after all the legal challenges were done they had to resecure funding. My hope is we get a China agreement and back off on the trade war in the next couple months and the economy gets 6 to nine months of juice and then the big collapse in early 2020. If the China thing doesn't get resolved i see sharp downturn starting this summer. What do you guys think?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Are you guys still worried about 7th and Market now after reading the Cisterra quote in the recent UT write up? Seems to me like the economy will hold at least until the summer so the project should get financing soon. Remember Manchester went through the same issue after all the legal challenges were done they had to resecure funding. My hope is we get a China agreement and back off on the trade war in the next couple months and the economy gets 6 to nine months of juice and then the big collapse in early 2020. If the China thing doesn't get resolved i see sharp downturn starting this summer. What do you guys think?
I’m going to be nervous about it until they break ground. Every day I drive by there and think I can’t wait until I see them roping off that nasty surface lot to start prepping the site.

It just seems like that site has inherrantly had more problems over the years than any other. It’s probably because it’s city owned land, but in any case I am nervous about it yet cautiously optimistic. I think any company that’s trying to secure funding has to be confident when talking to the media, but are they really that confident in the funding behind closed doors? Who knows. Fingers have been crossed for a long time and remain crossed

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:34 AM

I came across a different rendering of the Horton Plaza redevelopment and it's great to see two office towers in the background. As you may recall, there is potential to add another 1.5 million square feet of office space if the project is successful.

According to the link below, a new food hall will be built on the ground floor where an optometrist office is currently located (Closer to the Westin hotel). It's too bad the hall isn't opening in front of the park, but 'm guessing they have grander plans for that area?

https://www.sandiegoville.com/2019/0...town.html#more

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv_2897 View Post
Does anyone know whats the status on the Coronado Bridge Lighting project I know they delayed it but does anyone know if its even active anymore?
I believe it's still active but there are some who don't want to light it up because it may increase the number of suicides? Really?

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...cide-concerns/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 6:10 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego_urban View Post
I came across a different rendering of the Horton Plaza redevelopment and it's great to see two office towers in the background. As you may recall, there is potential to add another 1.5 million square feet of office space if the project is successful.

According to the link below, a new food hall will be built on the ground floor where an optometrist office is currently located (Closer to the Westin hotel). It's too bad the hall isn't opening in front of the park, but 'm guessing they have grander plans for that area?

https://www.sandiegoville.com/2019/0...town.html#more
Anybody remember the InterContinental hotel that was going to be build on the southern surface parking lot?

Would have been interesting

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:04 AM

Removing Height Limits

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...yimby-war-has/

This is HUGE!!! It maybenot apply to downtown but the uptown areas as well as other areas close to trolley stops may increase height limits. I feel a lot of us would need to attend meetings and voice our support for increased density and the removal of height limits to better accommodate families and indinivuals looking for homes closer to to transit stops.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Can't get over how the SD skyline has grown over the last 20 years.
I wonder if this is what NYC felt like at the turn of the century. I scarcely recognize the city of my childhood, with a skyline described as an 'empty toolbox' and a waterfront with nothing but parking lots. San Diego finally feels like a real city, will all that implies. Not just a collection of scuzzy traps to part sailors on shore leave with their hard-earned cash and a naval retirement community, but the economic and cultural center of an entire region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...yimby-war-has/

This is HUGE!!! It maybenot apply to downtown but the uptown areas as well as other areas close to trolley stops may increase height limits. I feel a lot of us would need to attend meetings and voice our support for increased density and the removal of height limits to better accommodate families and indinivuals looking for homes closer to to transit stops.
I like Falconer's sentiment, but I'll hold off on congratulations until I see those words translated into actions.

Last edited by Will O' Wisp; Jan 18, 2019 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 7:48 AM

There's a hugely important news story happening right now that's oddly not really being covered. The Metro Water Authority has started draining Lake Mead.

Per a 1922 agreement if the water levels in Lake Mead are below a certain point at the first of the year CA and AZ are required to start rationing water from the Colorado river. Mead's water levels have been declining for years as both states have been overdrawing from the Colorado. Metro in particular has been overdrawing as a matter of course for decades, to the point that SoCal doesn't really have a good understanding of how much water they reliably have access to. It's actually a fraction of what Metro provides now. Since Metro has apparently decided that rationing is probably going to go into effect anyway, now that the 1st of the year has passed they're topping up every reservoir they can. That decision removed whatever slim chance there was to avoid rationing, it's all but assured to go into effect in Jan 2020. Expect a major legal battle between CA and AZ then, but also brutal fights amongst Metro's local customers their ration of water.

Good news for us San Diegans is that we've made some preparations. We collect about 10% of our water locally, the desalination plant in Carlsbad covers about 10%, and Pure Water should cover 10% by 2021 (and 30% by 2035). Another 50% should come from a contract with the Imperial Valley Water District, which gets its own ration of Colorado river water and now has to share half with SD. So SD is going to be fighting for 20% of its water until Pure Water finishes, after which it can tell Metro to go screw itself. That will lead to a certain spike in water prices, but less than most of the LA and OC county water districts which are completely dependent on Metro's ration.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 3:17 AM
Category Five

Avoid the UTC area for a week starting Feb. 8

They're closing La Jolla Village Drive at Genesse Ave

https://www.10news.com/traffic-armag...2tVCcwRwjcZlck

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:00 AM

Jimbo's asks court to halt Horton Plaza redevelopment
UT Article: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...125-story.html

I hope this doesn't affect the Horton Plaza redevelopment the area desperately needs it.

Last edited by Nv_2897; Jan 27, 2019 at 2:24 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:15 AM

Yeah, I hope it's just the owner's way of ensuring no one drops a crane on his front step... Or walls the store off from the street somehow.
....which, is smart of him IMHO.

In the long run, the redevelopment is so much better for their business. Trying to drum up foot traffic at the mall (as is) seems futile.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:20 AM

Forum missing some skyscraper diagrams for San Diego

The diagrams page is missing some new buildings, some completed. For example, no drawing/data for Ballpark Village tower. Several other examples. Are they short of artists? Other cities seem to be updated more promptly, even when a building is still under construction. Get to work artists. Maybe somebody with more time can compile a list of new buildings that need to be in the diagrams section that aren't there. There must be 5 or 10 over 300 feet, and a couple over 400' that are missing.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv_2897 View Post
Jimbo's asks court to halt Horton Plaza redevelopment
UT Article: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...125-story.html

I hope this doesn't affect the Horton Plaza redevelopment the area desperately needs it.

I don't understand why there is no historic preservation opposition to demolishing Horton Plaza. I could understand supporting redevelopment if there were to be skyscrapers but this project is basically a bland office part with no aesthetic value or density. Ideally Horton Plaza would be preserved and highrises would be built on the sides. Some retail could be converted to office space but the unique aesthetic has to be preserved.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:03 AM

20 story hi rise in Bankers Hill

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:05 AM
SD/OC

Great! Was the height limit raised in Bankers Hill?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations