HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 11:37 PM
They all float down here

10-year anniversary of SLC Tornado...

Hard to believe it's been ten years (on the 11th).

So much in my life has changed and yet, I still remember that day as if it were yesterday.

Over the coming days, I expect the media to look back on the events and so I threw up this thread for us to look back, as well.

What are your stories? Any photos? Videos?

Post 'em!

Anyway, here are some cool before and after photos from the Tribune.

Memory Grove was one of the hardest hit areas. So many of those old trees were uprooted.

Today, more than 400 new trees have been planted.

The Salt Lake Avenues were hit hard, too. Homes were demolished, roofs ripped off and of course, trees thrown to the ground like twigs.

Today, a much different scene:

The tornado ripped through downtown, tearing off part of the Delta Center roof and blowing out windows in the old Wyndham (ha, perfectly named) Hotel.

Today, everything is normal.

The Capitol grounds were also heavily hit.

Today, new trees.

State Street, on Capitol Hill, saw some of the most damage.

The Delta Center was nearly ground zero for the tornado. Notice the lack of Gateway...

Today, Energy Solutions Arena is goin' strong and Gateway has sprung up across the street.

The Sun Bar was one of the first structures hit.

Today, that lot still sits empty.

Other photos I pulled from the net...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 12:41 AM
BANNED

WOW is all I can say....

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 1:28 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Holy crap, that was 10 years ago! I remember that day quite clearly, but if you had asked me on the street, I would've probably said about 6 or 7 years ago, not 10! Wow!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 2:14 AM

I was working at the Gateway computers manufacturing building when it happened. We knew something was up about 10 minutes prior as we heard what sounded like a low flighing air plane over the top of the building.

I went out side with a few others and the whole sky was black, it looked like it was 1am except no stars nor moon.

When we came back into the building, the TV was on and the news was talking about a tornado that had just touched down. We all watched the news for about 30 minutes before they started sending us home.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 3:58 AM

That shet was crazy, and one of the few instances of the impact of a tornado on an urban area. My brother works at the Utah capital, that day made me crazy with worry....

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 4:48 AM
Closed account

I was in 5th grade when it happened and even I remember that day quite well. My buddies and I were out at recess at the time the main cloud was passing over us and I remember us all wishing for it to rain, but it never did. Then later in the day a classmate said his teacher told his class that a tornado hit downtown and I didn't believe him. Then when I got home my mom said the same thing and I spent the day watching the news coverage.

Last edited by MetroFanatic; Aug 10, 2009 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 5:19 AM

I was just out of college and on my way back from Humboldt County and San Francisco with some friends and drove through SL,UT on my back to Denver. We drove through a couple days after the storm and we came across much of the damage. I particularly remember the Delta Center somewhat battered. I also remember desperately trying to meet a Mormon chick and get her drunk. No such luck, though.

"I should be floating but I'm weighted by thinking"

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 5:46 AM
Exit 298

Not mine ...

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsaz View Post
I also remember desperately trying to meet a Mormon chick and get her drunk. No such luck, though.
HAHA. Next time, just tell them you're an RM and that what you are drinking is sparkling apple juice.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 6:12 AM
They all float down here

I remember sitting in my basement. It was summer vacation for me (I didn't go back to school until later that month) and all I knew was that a storm was moving through the valley.

I remember watching television and the lights flickered on and off (about the time the tornado hit) and maybe five minutes later, if that, my mom yelled down to me and told me to turn on Channel 2.

So I did and saw the early footage of the tornado ripping through downtown.

Except I didn't know it was Salt Lake at first. I saw a tornado and high-rises and just assumed it was somewhere in the midwest and not here.

Then I read below and saw the BREAKING NEWS: TORNADO IN SALT LAKE CITY or something similar. I just remember seeing Salt Lake and thinking "what the fuck?".

About five minutes later, the phone rings and I answer it. It's my great uncle in California asking how we were because they had just started their noon news (the tornado hit shortly before one Salt Lake time) with the tornado.

I still have a ton of news footage from that day. A lot of it is in pieces, but it's still fun to watch because it dominated the news, especially CNN, MSNBC and FOX. We're not talking just a blurb here and there, I mean, the entire day and night was spent talking about the tornado.

I ended the day, as I normally did, listening to JT the Brick (sports radio) and his top story was about the tornado. I think he had said he was coming out of a Dodgers game and someone stopped him and said, "did you hear what happened in Salt Lake?" and that's when he was told.

Like I said, I remember every aspect about that day as if it happened yesterday. Weird how vivid it is. Right down to me remembering my mom going and getting her hair cut later in the day.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 7:14 AM

I was visiting my new school (University of Utah) with my friend the day before. I couldn't believe what had happened the next day.

I remember getting a call from my sister that day telling me the Delta Center roof was torn off. That was a wicked storm.

While I condemn the need to flame the conspiracies, I find it strangely odd of the path the tornado took after UTA dug up Native American artifacts while constructing the TRAX line on South Temple by the arena earlier that year.

If anything, it gives that storm an interesting spin.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 3:35 AM
The Drifter

10 years already? Dang where has my life gone?

I think I am getting old.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 2:16 AM

10 Years Later and Still Memories

August 11, 1999 started out as any normal day for folks here in Salt Lake City. Meterologists knew it was going to be a stormy day, but no one could imagine what would happen before the lunch hour ended.

The tornado blew off the roof to what was the Delta Center. It shattered windows to buildings. Nearby, the Outdoor Retailers Convention was underway. The tents set up for the event were flattened, injuring dozens of people and killing one person.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 5:53 AM

Wow, I remember that day. I was in Park City when it happened and all of the news stations had breaking news reports about a tornado in downtown SLC. I was very confused! There was a lot of rain and lightning in PC that day, but I had no idea a tornado would rip through downtown.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West