HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Interesting. Thanks. Yeah, I don't know that side of the business, but glad to see so many events there now.
Yeah, it's a big reason why the restorations were very slow and never really done properly until TNSE took over. They've done a lot so far, even though most is not super visible like AC upgrades, sound and lighting, new seating, backstage areas.

I would not be surprised to see major renos to concessions and even a lobby expansion in the next 1-2 years. This is the final summer of the 5 year arena renovation project, so I could definitely see them turning to major renos at The Burt as soon as 2019. The concession setups currently provide very little opportunity for revenue, they're extremely small and out of date.

One thing I would hope they would be looking at (I know they're aware of it) is improved sound absorption in the upper balconies. The theatre was designed to amplify live sound – it was not made for modern audio setups, and any show with even a slight hint of bass has absolutely dreadful sound quality. Most of the time the shows there just sound like indistinct white noise.

Wouldn't be surprised if they even looked some sort of partnership with Live Nation to make it some sort of House of Blues type venue.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:12 PM

^ I would love to see a lobby expansion... I always thought it was a bit sad that such a grand old theatre only has a sliver of a façade since the rest of the building was never built. I'd love to see the little lawn area get filled in with something substantial to provide some amenities to the building and help define the streetscape a little better.

Here's a graphic showing the original plan and the tiny little portion below showing what was actually built:

Source: http://winnipegdowntownplaces.blogsp...r-theatre.html

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:21 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This is the final summer of the 5 year arena renovation project
Is there anything known about what is being done this summer at the arena?

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Is there anything known about what is being done this summer at the arena?
I think is lower area the exchange restaurant dressing rooms etc..

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:29 PM

Event level from my understanding. Like wpg guy said. Everything on the lower ice level. I don't mean everything, but down on that level. So you probably won't see much. Otherwise they've already done most everything else.

I wonder if they'd ever try to get the visitor team tunnel into the bench area? Not sure how things are set-up down there on that side. Probably wouldn't happen though. Right now visiting team room is in the corner where the gate is. And they're crappy generic rooms. I guess that's what visiting teams get.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:40 PM

Got it.

T-1 month until TDS moves in.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I would love to see a lobby expansion... I always thought it was a bit sad that such a grand old theatre only has a sliver of a façade since the rest of the building was never built. I'd love to see the little lawn area get filled in with something substantial to provide some amenities to the building and help define the streetscape a little better.

Here's a graphic showing the original plan and the tiny little portion below showing what was actually built:

Source: http://winnipegdowntownplaces.blogsp...r-theatre.html
Yeah the story of what was planned and fell through is really interesting. Might be cool to have a treatment like the RRC Roblin Building that has superimposed images of the old buildings there on glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Event level from my understanding. Like wpg guy said. Everything on the lower ice level. I don't mean everything, but down on that level. So you probably won't see much. Otherwise they've already done most everything else.

I wonder if they'd ever try to get the visitor team tunnel into the bench area? Not sure how things are set-up down there on that side. Probably wouldn't happen though. Right now visiting team room is in the corner where the gate is. And they're crappy generic rooms. I guess that's what visiting teams get.
Yeah it's mostly event level from what I've heard, and I know that the original announcement years ago said some eventual exterior upgrades, so I wouldn't be surprised to see upgraded lighting and signage on the outside, as well as some skywalk cosmetic upgrades (would make sense with TNS connection via cityplace).

In terms of change rooms, it's quite common in NHL to have visitor dressing room tunnels not behind the bench, as many arenas were built for basketball (first or also), where dressing room location doesn't matter. Also, visitor rooms are generally very generic – NHL sets minimum standards for size and amenities, and no team would ever go above that and benefit the visitor.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
In terms of change rooms, it's quite common in NHL to have visitor dressing room tunnels not behind the bench, as many arenas were built for basketball (first or also), where dressing room location doesn't matter. Also, visitor rooms are generally very generic – NHL sets minimum standards for size and amenities, and no team would ever go above that and benefit the visitor.
Someone should tell the CFL about league standards for visitors locker rooms to prevent a repeat of the utterly pathetic facilities at new Mosaic Stadium...

rodpedersen.com

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Someone should tell the CFL about league standards for visitors locker rooms to prevent a repeat of the utterly pathetic facilities at new Mosaic Stadium...

rodpedersen.com
Those are the extra change rooms for high school and university games. They built 4 of them for a total of 6 dressing rooms. That's why there's lockable storage on them. They're also movable so they can use the space as green rooms for concerts and or media spaces for major events.

Mosaic Stadium's athletic and team facilities are stunning – NFL calibre. They're absolutely jaw-dropping, and the Bombers should be embarassed by what we got in comparison, and that they chose an architect with ZERO experience designing sporting venues.

You can see the photo gallery here, starting at #14:

https://www.riderville.com/gallery/2...osaic-stadium/

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
I don't know how long they work. Looking at site righty now, everything is as it was yesterday. Anyways, not a big deal, just an observation.
Don't mind me, I was super sassy yesterday, judging by my posts ha

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't day it's common to not have tunnel access to the bench. There's only a few arenas in the league like that. Winnipeg being one of them.

It's quite inconvenient as the goalie sits by himself and you can't run down the tunnel to the room. Or if there's an injury, they linger on the bench then make and awkward skate across to the room at breaks.

No matter to me as it's the visiting teams anyways! haha

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Those are the extra change rooms for high school and university games. They built 4 of them for a total of 6 dressing rooms. That's why there's lockable storage on them. They're also movable so they can use the space as green rooms for concerts and or media spaces for major events.

Mosaic Stadium's athletic and team facilities are stunning – NFL calibre. They're absolutely jaw-dropping, and the Bombers should be embarassed by what we got in comparison, and that they chose an architect with ZERO experience designing sporting venues.

You can see the photo gallery here, starting at #14:

https://www.riderville.com/gallery/2...osaic-stadium/

AFAIK the pics I posted were the CFL visitors locker rooms, I recall last season those were the subject of player complaints as well.

I'm also not really sure what the Riders got that the Bombers didn't in their new facilities other than a barber shop that no one uses... the training stuff is all there at IGF. Clearly the Riders did a nicer job with the finishing touches in terms of paint, lighting and overall décor... IGF looks a bit like some random government office on the inside with lots of beige, not unlike MTS Centre when it first opened. But the equipment and facilities are all there.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:39 PM

Their inground hot tubs blow Winnipeg's Krevco spa out of the building.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:43 PM

Let's not re-hash the stadium debate.. Regina got it right, and spent $100 million more. Although with all the repairs, IF has to be getting up there..

So TNS, they're clearing the sidewalk along Hargave of the gravel material they put down. Getting ready to open up, like Biff mentioned. Or maybe they're re-doing the sidewalk. hard to tell.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Their inground hot tubs blow Winnipeg's Krevco spa out of the building.
Snazzier design for sure, but with no impact whatsoever on function.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:28 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Let's not re-hash the stadium debate.. Regina got it right, and spent $100 million more. Although with all the repairs, IF has to be getting up there..

So TNS, they're clearing the sidewalk along Hargave of the gravel material they put down. Getting ready to open up, like Biff mentioned. Or maybe they're re-doing the sidewalk. hard to tell.
We can't really blame Saskatchewan though. They invested in a damn good stadium, and since they're the only major professional sports team in the province, they might as well go big, and boy did they go big.

But anyway, back on topic...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:13 PM

Naysayers aside, the IGF stadium is a great stadium. that doesn't mean that there weren't issues that had to be dealt with and cost overruns and bad management, but the end result is a pretty damn good stadium, and the players' facilities are great. Most CFL team would give an arm and a leg to have the IGF stadium.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:27 PM

Yup. I'll agree with that.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
I wonder if they'd ever try to get the visitor team tunnel into the bench area?
Doubt it ever happens at MTS Centre. To put in a visitor tunnel to the bench area you would remove a handful of P1 seats permanently. Even if you could move them from their current location to where the existing visitor player tunnel is you are still pushing them down in pricing.

About the earliest I think you are likely to see a visitor tunnel is when the replacement to MTS Centre is built.

--

In terms of The Burt I would love to see something like the Playhouse lobby annex. My vision is punt Enterprise out of there and build something on that spot perhaps with a restaurant/bar on a second floor with high ceilings on the ground level. Connect it all up to the theater with a hallway along Smith to the existing entrance.

--

In terms of True North Square, noticed the other day RWB has ground level parking under their building and to the south. That could potentially be converted to an addition for their student residence and free up the existing residence location for a future tower three site.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:21 PM

They are really flying with the glass now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan