HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 10:57 PM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 11:27 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Great update....the elevated walkway should NOT have that pillar in that position in relation to the sidewalk. It looks like a chokepoint for pedestrians, who may spill out to the streets. Because of the image's perspective it may not be that bad. (The fish eye effect is a bit annoying for every image, but it's fine....just would rather see the complex's site design)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 9:06 PM

I was hoping the area around the SE corner would remain open and it is open. I have used the sidewalk a few times now and didn't even notice the pillar.

For those saying the lighting could be better, it's ridiculously bright when the sun reflects off the TNS building in the morning.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 11:12 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Sign says:

Quote:
Welcome to True North Square

Coming Soon to the Plaza:

* Water Fountain
* Sculpted Benches
* Grand Staircase
* Landscaping
How can TNS make sure to prevent vagrants & panhandlers from "hogging" the space and scaring us normal people away, especially after work hours, similar to the situation at Air Canada's Window Park?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 12:32 AM

The Managing partners of the Law Firm and Accounting Companies that are the major tenants will make sure that building security moves them off in short order. Don't want to have "those sort of people" interacting with the two firms clients.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Great update....the elevated walkway should NOT have that pillar in that position in relation to the sidewalk. It looks like a chokepoint for pedestrians, who may spill out to the streets. Because of the image's perspective it may not be that bad. (The fish eye effect is a bit annoying for every image, but it's fine....just would rather see the complex's site design)
That's actually the corner column of the building, not a skywalk support, and the "sidewalk" space in the foreground is actually space that would be within Tower 1, but they cut it out – the public sidewalk is on the other side of the column.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The Managing partners of the Law Firm and Accounting Companies that are the major tenants will make sure that building security moves them off in short order. Don't want to have "those sort of people" interacting with the two firms clients.
Aren't "those sort of people" potential clients?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Aren't "those sort of people" potential clients?
That made me laugh

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:30 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That's actually the corner column of the building, not a skywalk support, and the "sidewalk" space in the foreground is actually space that would be within Tower 1, but they cut it out – the public sidewalk is on the other side of the column.
Sorry bout that.....the image gave me the impression that the sidewalk was before the column. I should've checked Google Streetview (Assuming it's updated by now). It's great to see the office tower being occupied, great work Winnipeg

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post

Sign says:

How can TNS make sure to prevent vagrants & panhandlers from "hogging" the space and scaring us normal people away, especially after work hours, similar to the situation at Air Canada's Window Park?
Security.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:59 PM

No doubt with the amount of retail/service and TNS, late hours lawyers work, and lots of residents coming in and out – there will be 24/7 security. The Air Canada park and building barely see a soul after 6pm, so they probably don't care to deal with it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:06 PM

^ There will definitely be 24/7 security. I used to work in a small class B office building, not one of the major towers downtown and there were some nights when I'd be in the office to around midnight... when I would leave there was still a security guard around at the front desk. If that small building could manage it, it I'm sure TNS will have a full complement of security on hand. The expense is probably relatively minor for a complex of that size.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:00 PM

Yeah and with the prominence of this project, especially once the hotel gets built, True North won't try to save money and take that risk – and you can bet foot patrol will always be around.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:04 PM

There's a difference between security kicking some out out of a private office building and a public square. Portage Place got into issues with indigenous groups for kicking loiters out.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:07 PM

True North owns the square, it is public in that they allow people in there, but it is not owned by the public. They can do what they want. Same goes for Air Canada – that's why they have Park Hours posted, they just don't enforce it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
No doubt with the amount of retail/service and TNS, late hours lawyers work, and lots of residents coming in and out – there will be 24/7 security. The Air Canada park and building barely see a soul after 6pm, so they probably don't care to deal with it.
Window Park is a bit of an anomaly that way anyway. Few of the same problems seem to exist in the MB Hydro plaza or the Japanese gardens behind the Delta. Millennium Library park is a little worse but nothing like Window park and I think it's gotten better since MB Housing moved out of 185 Smith. The TNS plaza is basically semi-private space, it's partially enclosed, easy to supervise and will have 24-hour security and a few hundred residents living there.

You can definitely encounter that stuff anywhere downtown but it's much more common in Window park, that place is more the exception than the rule. There's steps they could take there to mitigate it but they don't seem to give a s***, I don't think anything's been done to that park since it was built other than the big marbles the BIZ put in.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:11 PM

^I think the likely reason for that is because of lack of enforcement, they know no one will kick them out of there, even during the day. It's just bizarre because it's the only plaza that has hours posted all over it, but no one does anything about it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
^I think the likely reason for that is because of lack of enforcement, they know no one will kick them out of there, even during the day. It's just bizarre because it's the only plaza that has hours posted all over it, but no one does anything about it.
I wonder if with APTN right next door there are concerns about the optics of cracking down on the mostly indigenous loiterers there or if APTN has even gotten involved in it. That's just a guess, but also if APTN wants to avoid the spread of negative stereotypes about indigenous people a great start would be to not let those stereotypes flourish right beside your studio.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 6:58 PM
Formerly rypinion

Pretty sure it's actually a legit city park, and therefore has hours like most other city parks.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
It really is bizarre. And I get it's private space but with the City looking at targeting and dealing with problem areas such as the PP bus shelter, you'd think this would be another area that's noted and looked at a little closer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan