HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:58 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 7:59 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:25 PM

Probably more of a question of placing the services where they are most convenient / needed.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:47 PM
More Towers

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 11:24 PM

Rumour has it that Morguard will be going on spec with its sliver of an office building on Hastings.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 11:35 PM
More Towers

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 11:37 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Rumour has it that Morguard will be going on spec with its sliver of an office building on Hastings.
Nice rumour. But what about all the stories of slow absorption and rapidly rising vacancy being created by the new projects already underway?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Probably more of a question of placing the services where they are most convenient / needed.
Build it and they will come. One could argue the reason it's "needed" there is because that's where the shelter is. Convience how? They don't live or work in yaletown so why do they need to be there plus it's too expensive

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Nice rumour. But what about all the stories of slow absorption and rapidly rising vacancy being created by the new projects already underway?
I'm told their feeling is that they can continue riding the success of MNP with its skinny plate market niche.

Personally, the market's flooded and the lack of takers for the backfill created by the tenants moving to new product is disconcerting.

I also hear that SNC will be putting four of its new floors in 745 on the sublease market for full term.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Anyone knows why that lot at the corner across Robson Street from Landmark hotel is always vacant? Something tall, nice and majestic could be built there.
I cannot find the old quote on this, but I remember it was said to be owned by some very old person living (perhaps he has already died) in Hong Kong with no intention of developing it. Something along those lines as far as I can remember.

I agree that this small site would be nice to see developed.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Build it and they will come. One could argue the reason it's "needed" there is because that's where the shelter is. Convience how? They don't live or work in yaletown so why do they need to be there plus it's too expensive
The site is really only a few blocks from DTES along Cambie

Cambie & Pender (Victory Square) to Dunsmuir, to Georgia, to Robson
(versus the new Catholic Charities HQ at Heather & 33rd).

When they find a new location, it may well be closer to DTES.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 4:56 AM
More Towers

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 9:31 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Anyone knows why that lot at the corner across Robson Street from Landmark hotel is always vacant? Something tall, nice and majestic could be built there.
The owner appears to agree with you, and doesn't want to build a short building as currently allowed. They appear to be waiting for a chance for this to change before doing anything.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
Go along Granville as well and you'll find a lot of homeless people that are closer to Yaletown than the DTES.
Oh I am well aware of them lol. My point was why are they there. They don't live or work there So why would it be inconvenient for them to go outside the area for a shelter

Moving it to the dtes would be horrible. That would just help to maintain the drug infested ghetto. If I was ever in a situation where I needed to use a shelter I would hate for it to be in the dtes

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I cannot find the old quote on this, but I remember it was said to be owned by some very old person living (perhaps he has already died) in Hong Kong with no intention of developing it. Something along those lines as far as I can remember.

I agree that this small site would be nice to see developed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
The owner appears to agree with you, and doesn't want to build a short building as currently allowed. They appear to be waiting for a chance for this to change before doing anything.

Ahhhhhh, I see........Thanks guys. That tree has been so lonely on that little piece of meadow for decades!

I think that old guy needs to make more 'social visits' to the mayor's office (or residence).

Last edited by Vin; Nov 18, 2014 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 11:44 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 7:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 11:50 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
is that a fact? as I had not heard of any communication between the owner and city hall in forever. Its a foreign owner sitting on it ... end of story from what I heard.

odd its not been turned into a parking lot at the very least .... would probably be pretty full most of the time.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 12:56 AM

I would love for Ritz to come (back) to Vancouver....Bring on twin 60 floor towers!!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
is that a fact? as I had not heard of any communication between the owner and city hall in forever. Its a foreign owner sitting on it ... end of story from what I heard.

odd its not been turned into a parking lot at the very least .... would probably be pretty full most of the time.
The property is owned by 3 gentleman, 2 are back in HK and one is still here, however moving back to HK.

There have been half a dozen offers on the property, including 3 or 4 that were taken back to the owners. They have one valuation on the land and would sell it if they could achieve that valuation. The market could not bear that valuation however.

There is no communication between the owners and the city, they have no interest in developing the site on their own.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 6:04 PM

I saw some drilling/soil sampling at the Larwill Park site on the weekend. Is anything going on there?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 7:20 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanciti View Post
The property is owned by 3 gentleman, 2 are back in HK and one is still here, however moving back to HK.

There have been half a dozen offers on the property, including 3 or 4 that were taken back to the owners. They have one valuation on the land and would sell it if they could achieve that valuation. The market could not bear that valuation however.

There is no communication between the owners and the city, they have no interest in developing the site on their own.
Thanks for clarifying.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver