HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrytsyu View Post
I noticed the same 23xx block structure, the other day. I must state that it is actually constructed better than, for instance, the new 5 level residential buildings at Broad and Callowhill.

The storage structure is all steel and appears there will be concrete pours on the corrugated decking ; a generally fire-resistant structure. The Callowhill residences are constructed of match sticks. I find it appalling the storage structure is designed to better conserve the welfare of its contents than the residential building.

Perhaps someday the storage structure will be converted to apartments as market forces apply pressure.
Not a building code expert by any stretch, but I believe that's because of the differing requirements for multi-floor commercial vs. residential, not a conscious decision by the storage company developer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 9:00 PM

Saw this lot emptied out on American and Germantown in Northern Liberties. Anyone know what this could be, if anything?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
The Centurion Lounge is a big plus for PHL. There are not that many of them and they provide a superior level of offerings over many existing lounges. That said, work at PHL is notoriously slow.
Actually, at least for American Airlines and One World partner airlines, a bigger plus is the under construction "Flagship (premium) Lounge", which will also have showers. Both of these Lounges are in Terminal A-West.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb13 View Post
Saw this lot emptied out on American and Germantown in Northern Liberties. Anyone know what this could be, if anything?
That is one of several things. It could be yet another new Acme market; offensive only because the prices are unbelievably high and the selection poor.

The other possibility is a utility pole.

However, the equipment behind the cyclone fence is a drilling rig for initiating a path through urban rubble into the substrate either for an environmental investigation or soils structural analysis.

Last edited by summersm343; Jan 24, 2017 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 8:06 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb13 View Post

[snip]big-ass photo[/snip]
Looks like a soil testing rig!

I don't know of any planned developments for this site. It could be preliminary; it could be that they just parked it there for redevelopment elsewhere in the Schmidt's complex.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 11:43 PM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 12:26 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

They're well along on that one IIRC. Poured the basement by June, steelwork the last time I was in the area last fall.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 2:29 PM

Does anyone know of any apartment buildings in either Old City or Northern Liberties that will be finishing up construction and accepting new tenants in the summer?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Looks like a soil testing rig!

I don't know of any planned developments for this site. It could be preliminary; it could be that they just parked it there for redevelopment elsewhere in the Schmidt's complex.
I live right there. There has been talks of a sister building going up on bart's triangle across the street and this lot. In fact, the info I saw a few years ago had them connected over top of germantown ave. BUT, I doubt that will happen because they are doing a 5-10 project of repairing the waterway underneath germantown and this section is slated to begin soon. With that in mind, the cars are gone because Trump's son in law bought the piazza and Blatstein no longer allows the new owners to use it as residential parking (or something like that). Now, its parking for walburgers (or something like that). My guess is that any equipment there is for other projects and its just there for parking/storing.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:55 PM

Does Bart or Kushner own the site? Kind of doubt Kushner is developing anything new for a while, maybe if Charles gets pardoned.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Does Bart or Kushner own the site? Kind of doubt Kushner is developing anything new for a while, maybe if Charles gets pardoned.
Without getting political, I understand that the younger Kushner has removed himself from the operations of his company, but that wouldn't prevent his company from taking action on projects. Whoever is running the show now will call the shots. The elder Kushner long ago served time for illegal campaign contributions (ironically to the party now out of power), as well as tax evasion, so the concept of a pardon is irrelevant.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Without getting political, I understand that the younger Kushner has removed himself from the operations of his company, but that wouldn't prevent his company from taking action on projects. Whoever is running the show now will call the shots. The elder Kushner long ago served time for illegal campaign contributions (ironically to the party now out of power), as well as tax evasion, so the concept of a pardon is irrelevant.
Not irrelevant, tough for him to borrow money and put deals together as a felon. That's why they put Jared in 'charge'

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:42 AM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduffy5 View Post
Does anyone know of any apartment buildings in either Old City or Northern Liberties that will be finishing up construction and accepting new tenants in the summer?
Are you looking for only new construction? And are there any other limitations/hopes for what is available and when? Bridge in Old City (2nd and Race) will be leasing at that point (not sure of the official move-in date). There's also another building that was recently completed at 2nd and New (6 story, new construction) that is open now (not sure about availability there, either). Not sure of any other new construction that would be ready at that time frame in Old City, though the development at 3rd and Market may be ready approximately in that timeline.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Not irrelevant, tough for him to borrow money and put deals together as a felon. That's why they put Jared in 'charge'
Being an ex-con is not helpful no matter what your station. The son seemed capable. We'll see what his successors/placeholders do.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Being an ex-con is not helpful no matter what your station. The son seemed capable. We'll see what his successors/placeholders do.
You should read the stories about his "running" of the Piazza. I'm not sure I'd use the word "capable."

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 8:58 PM

Anyone have an intel on what might be taking over the storefront Capital One/Peets is vacating at 17th and Walnut? It is moving across the Street into the groundfloor of the Latham. The building Pearl is turning into micro apartments.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 10:21 PM

2nd and Vine Street

4-story Townhomes on the right are new. 5-story townhomes on the left are new. 6-story condo building behind the gas station and in front of the Ben Franklin Bridge is finishing up construction. You can see the 17 story Bridge on Race apartment development in the back too.

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-to-completion

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 10:25 PM

Temple Library Update - 13th and Norris

Quote:
The deep foundation work for Temple’s new library has been laid on time, allowing the project to move to the next steps in construction, said Jerry Leva, the vice president of capital projects for Temple.

He said the library is set to be completed on Oct. 29, 2018.

“We’ve done site excavation to where the basement level will be and we’ve put in the footings that will hold the structure up,” Leva said. “Now we’re in the next phase, which is the foundation package.”

This phase, which will be completed in March, includes finishing the foundation and basement walls. Above ground steel framework will follow, beginning in late March or early April.
http://temple-news.com/news/library-...s-stay-budget/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 11:23 PM

Affordable housing for artists in West Philly opens January 25

Quote:
An affordable housing development geared toward artists in West Philly will officially open Wednesday, January 25 after breaking ground last February.

The $7.2 million project, dubbed 4050 Haverford, was designed specifically for artists in need of affordable live-work spaces. The residential building, designed by PZS Architects, features 20 one-, two-, and three-bedroom units, plus a first-floor community space for the artists and public.
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/1/24/1...ousing-opening

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:33 AM

Revised design for Royal Theater redevelopment requires Historical Commission approval

Article:
http://planphilly.com/articles/2017/...ssion-approval

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development