HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 7:03 PM

I'm going to give LOCAL protesters the benefit of the doubt, and say the people doing the smashing are the anarchist anti-Globalist people who have come from Europe and etc.

Window smashing is relatively tame compared to their usual antics, though.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 7:15 PM

I'm not sure why the networks are giving that self proclaimed "independent observer" Alissa Westergard-Thorpe airtime. She's so obviously not independent. Here's her photo, in case anyone bumps into her on the street:
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 7:15 PM

What does she do? She looks a little scary.

Oh. I guess I could have read even one line of the article lol Her scariness distracted me.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 8:09 PM

Watching these idiot domestic terrorists on tv, I feel like going down there and smashing their heads against the pavement repeatedly.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 8:12 PM

$1B in security... I fully hope they squash these protesters ASAP and lock them up. Having this happen in front of the world and thousands of tourists is unacceptable. Simply Google the word "Vancouver" and you'll see thousands of articles on this already.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
CTV is reporting that a protest group has smashed windows at the Bay downtown.
Police being too tolerate and passive against them actually hurts the image of Vancouver.

Yesterday "more peaceful" protests already gained quite a high international media attention as I read the news source from other countries

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
one was wanting more education
No argument here.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 8:20 PM

Well, the police are handling it rather properly, I have to say.

Even though the protesters are in the EXTREME minority, the media always pays them the most attention. If the police were more heavy handed, you best believe it would be twisted and turned in the media.

On loop. 24 hours a day.

The protesters are making themselves look like fools. First they piss off the Chinese community, then they piss off the veterans, now they are acting like hooligans.

Any support they hoped to gain from Joe Public has gone out the window through their tactics.

When the stories are the protesters pepper spraying, or putting vinegar in the eyes of the police, and NOT the other way around, that is positive for the normal person.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:08 PM

i sleep in and i miss everything

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i sleep in and i miss everything
Look outside. Maybe your car didn't miss it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:11 PM

i am far off in suburbia i am safe

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:15 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I went out today as soon as I heard of the damage to the Bay. There is 3 broken windows at the bay, one at the Mega store, the other two are at the Granville corner. They also thru a metro paper box thru a window of the TD building. I caught up with the protestors in front of White Tower, I won't get into any details of what occurred there but they dispersed very quickly as the crowd turned on them. The Legal observers were by 10 minutes after the fact. Funny how they weren't around during the acts of terrorism.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:20 PM

I live in DT, I'm not there now, but I will come out to confront these guys if they try this again....

Quote:
A group of more than 200 masked protesters smashed windows, vandalized cars and newspaper boxes and intimidated pedestrians in downtown Vancouver Saturday morning, before being confronted and dispersed by police in riot gear.

The anti-Olympics protesters, many dressed in black balaclavas and masks and carrying a ladder, smashed up to three windows at the Hudson's Bay store and one at the Toronto-Dominion Bank near the intersection of Granville and West Georgia streets.

The group also sprayed the windows with red paint and threw marbles and spat at police before marching down West Georgia Street toward the Bayshore Hotel in Coal Harbour where the International Olympic Committee members are staying.

Retreating protesters use a ladder to form a barricade as police follow them through downtown Vancouver streets. (CBC)
But as the marchers neared the hotel they were turned back by the Vancouver Police Department crowd control unit and the 2010 Integrated Security Unit at the Cardero Street intersection.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...c-protest.html

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:30 PM

The Lions Gate Bridge was shutdown, W. Georgia Street was shut down, vandalism - not a lot of happy campers out there.

I'd personally drag these anarchos and throw each of them into Lost Lagoon and give 'em a good drenching. Better yet, drive by 'em in an fire truck with a pressurized water hose and give them a good soaking.

Once they are cold and soaking wet, they will disperse quickly .

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Some protesters sprayed vinegar in officers' eyes, threw sticks, and spit on officers, police said.

Two officers were injured with flying objects and one was sent to hospital with a shoulder injury but was treated and released, said Const. Lindsey Houghton.
Wait wait... I'm confused... I thought Alissa Westergard-Thorpe and the rest of the OLN said that if any violence erupted it would be the police who acted first. Are you saying these peaceful protester might have been trying to provoke the police?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I'm not sure why the networks are giving that self proclaimed "independent observer" Alissa Westergard-Thorpe airtime. She's so obviously not independent. Here's her photo, in case anyone bumps into her on the street:
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...a%3DN%26um%3D1
Hey look... she has a facebook page...

http://www.facebook.com/black.red?ref=sgm

How cute, she has an anarchists gifts app.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:46 PM

so she is pro iraqian show thrower and supports khadar aka opposes saudi arabia?

looks like she will support any cause that sticks it to the man

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:46 PM

Wow there are photos on that CBC article of them kicking police, with their back turned. They have gone TOO far. Seriously.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:47 PM

so they are anti-colonial?

than leave canada go back to where your colonial ancestors came form perhaps

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 11:14 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

About to leave again, as they are scheduled to be meeting at the Police station about now. Wish me luck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]