HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 3:05 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
Sorry to butt in on this Vancouver-centric bickering, but seeing as how the title is Metro Vancouver 2011 Civic Election Thread; I am delighted to announce that Coquitlam Mayor Richard Stewart has resoundingly defeated the leftists 3-term councillor Barrie Lynch. This means we can all look forward to more growth and investment over the next 3 years!

And it's not just that Stewart is a great guy - Lynch couldn't be worse! His attacks on the mayor's disability were disgusting, as was his pandering to the Austin Heights NIMBYS. But what takes the cake is how he voted against recent budgets whilst blasting the mayor "because the tax increases were too high" , after it was himself and other leftist councillors that rammed through a 20% CUPE wage increase over 5 years in 2007
Yeah, aside from Vancouver, the most interesting to watch is Coquitlam. I was really disappointed by Barry Lynch's disgusting behaviour, and I'm glad he not only lost the race but out of city council. Overall I'm happy with the results in Coquitlam though I didn't like it that Lou Sekora is back. That guy is a moron!

I'm quite happy with the results in Vancouver, I'm glad all seven Vision councils are back, and they were pretty much on top. And of course, Gregor is in, Anton is out. I didn't watch Gregor's victory speech (fell asleep) but did watch Anton. Its interesting that she pretty much conceded that the streetcar is dead for at least three years. TBH, I think that's a good thing since Vancouver simply has other more pressing transportation issues that it really needs to focus on, aside from a streetcar from Coal Harbour to Granville Island that will mostly benefit people who really don't need it.

TBH, I wouldn't mind a change in Burnaby, New West, Delta and Richmond but those cities are so entrench its like wishing for a super tall office tower in downtown Vancouver. The mayors of those cities are just *ssh*les and need to go. But I guess if your city is in a situation where problems the rest of the region still needs to resolve are pretty much resolved in your community, you can afford to be an *ss to everybody else. This especially Richmond, and the channel 4 guy (I think Ted Fields) was right in the money on his mindset on Brodie, "I got my Canada Line, thank you very much...". I'm glad Rick Green of Langley Township is out, he voted against the gas tax and its ironic he is the biggest looser amongst the incumbents.

So I'm glad the composition of Vancouver, Surrey, the Tri Cities, Langley City and North Shore are pretty much the same peeps. Pretty much every incumbent who supported the gas tax increase won, and that's the voters, who showed up in greater numbers, telling something. A lot has been accomplished in the last three years, and more needs to be done in the next three.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
hmm, #10, ellen woodsworth or adrienne carr? [starts heavy drinking]
Actually... Adrienne Carr is actually elected... Bill Yuen and Ellen Woodsworth fell just a bit short unfortunately. =S Mind you, I think Vision will keep any of her more extreme policies under control, so it should be fine anyway. =O

As for Geoff Meggs... that's a different story......

Last edited by Millennium2002; Nov 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 4:53 PM

At least in langley Rick 'no to tranlink's supplement' green was defeated by jack frose, who seems to have more support for transit.

the pro-tranlink regionally-minded peter fassbender was handily re-elected, thankfully. he seems to be very visible re: transit issues.

and what? i wake up and adrienne carr is on council!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 10:28 PM

Cope?

so are they now finished as a party with only one school board trustee. Oddly enough how it seemed the Georgia Straight was pushing Tim Louis and he was not even close to contention. So what will be interesting is Cope on the war path now and saying they will no longer co operate with Vision. Or will they fold completely now. Seems like Ellen Woodsworth is hoping that some ballots still not counted will by some miracle get her into that tenth spot. Hopefully, Adrianne Carr will be there so we won't have to have her now going for Federal in Vancouver centre seat. Or for that matter provincial.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 11:17 PM
testify

WOOT! i'm very satisfied with the results. continued progressive governance, the incompetent npa soundly defeated, susan anton utterly humiliated. right on! also very pleased about the utter hegemony of the bca over in burnaby.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
WOOT! i'm very satisfied with the results. continued progressive governance, the incompetent npa soundly defeated, susan anton utterly humiliated. right on! also very pleased about the utter hegemony of the bca over in burnaby.
Ah yes. Progressive governance and hegemony. The two go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
Suzanne Anton received the second highest vote total of any NPA mayoralty candidiate (win or lose) in history. So she is hardly "utterly humiliated". And celebrating the win of Derek Corrigan speaks for itself.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 5:01 PM

just an open-ended question ...

Just read the results in Metro Vancouver on the web.
Regarding the city itself, does a second-term Robertson dish out the same [bleep] or will the chemistry of city hall change? If so, what might be some changes you'd see?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:01 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Suzanne Anton received the second highest vote total of any NPA mayoralty candidiate (win or lose) in history. So she is hardly "utterly humiliated". And celebrating the win of Derek Corrigan speaks for itself.
You guys are lucky that Derek Corrigan does not decide to annex Vancouver and run for the office of the Supreme Overlord of the Middle Lower Mainland (that would be the area between Burrard Inlet and Fraser River). I am sure he would win with like 102% of the vote.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:05 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Don't get me started on bby being 'better' vs vancouver for governance. one would have an easier time of things if you provided less services to your city. bby has 2 city-run ice rinks versus 8 in vancouver (8 rinks is a private facility). the VPL has 22 branches versus 4 branches of the BPL. and IIRC, vancouver has 2.5 times more ppl than burnaby. and i have no numbers available, but how does bby's resources for the homeless compare to vancouver?

I actually agree with you there. and i say that as a vancouverite...
Burnaby has homeless housing...It's called Vancouver.

But, in all seriousness, yes Burnaby has an easier job to deal with. Much of it's land has been preserved from the beginning and not being the region defacto capital means that it does not attract the homeless (as much) nor does it have to deal with a lot of political issues.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
You guys are lucky that Derek Corrigan does not decide to annex Vancouver and run for the office of the Supreme Overlord of the Middle Lower Mainland (that would be the area between Burrard Inlet and Fraser River). I am sure he would win with like 102% of the vote.
Run for office? Why do you need to run for office, when the Emperor can just hand you the Lower Mainland, and put the Death Star in orbit ominously closely, just to keep the rebels in check...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics