HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 3:10 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
I rode by the airport today, and I saw alot of construction going on new lanes and etc.
Do anyone know what's going on?
From the Airport website - http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Airport/Construction/

Quote:
Inbound Roadway Improvements
In order to provide a safer, more convenient experience for motorists arriving at Hartsfield-Jackson, we have begun a project to improve our inbound roadways.

The Airport roadways were designed over 30 years ago for a passenger volume that was half the size of the current volume. The inbound roadways project will upgrade the Airport’s inbound terminal roadway network to provide safe and convenient travel for existing and future traffic capacity. It will realign and widen roadways; segregate conflicting movements; improve weaving conditions; avoid queuing, blockage and delays; enhance signage and wayfinding; and provide adequate connections, access and exits to/from various facilities.

The Project upgrades the Airport’s terminal roadway network between Interstate 85 and Camp Creek Parkway on the north and Interstate 85 and Riverdale Road on the south. The Project realigns Airport Boulevard and connecting ramps and loops to and from North and South Terminal Parkway, and relocates the Airport entrance at Riverdale Road to the existing signalized intersection with Airport Boulevard. The work includes new bridges for over- and underpasses; concrete pavement, curb and barrier walls; excavation and/or embankment; retaining walls; roadway lighting; and new wayfinding signage.

Scheduled completion January 2015
Detour effective through April 1014 - http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Airpo...le.aspx?id=915

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:22 PM

Thanks and I saw plenty of those detour signs.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 11:40 PM
Back on the road again

I've seen those airport descriptions of the roadway improvements project previously. I've been trying to find an actual site plan showing how the new roadway configuration will look once complete and I've been drawing a blank. If anyone has such a site plan and can either point me to it or post it here I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 1:06 PM
Development Spectator

The Airport Master Plan is in the news today.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/b...new-gates.html

Here are the highlights:
- New (larger) North and South Parking Garages
- Better cargo facilities
- Another end around taxiway reducing some cross traffic
- 6th Runway - from this image above it looks like the 6th runway will be between the old runways and the 5th runway.
- Additional Gates at Terminal F

The Airport has a website for the master plan, but it has not been updated with this information. http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Airpo...lan/index.html

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:01 PM

‘Airport City’ eyed for Hartsfield-Jackson

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...d-jackson.html

Quote:
Newly appointed airport chief Miguel Southwell wants to give Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport something else to brag about — a true “Airport City.”

The project would take shape on the Hartsfield-Jackson campus and feature a new hotel, up to 200,000 square feet of mid-rise office buildings, and additional shops and restaurants.

The project would be developed around the airport’s main domestic terminal and MARTA station.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
I've seen those airport descriptions of the roadway improvements project previously. I've been trying to find an actual site plan showing how the new roadway configuration will look once complete and I've been drawing a blank. If anyone has such a site plan and can either point me to it or post it here I'd greatly appreciate it.
Geez, I've had to go over there half a dozen times in the last few months and it changes constantly. I want to be their signage contractor! No major issues but everyone else is driving stupid.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 2:46 PM

Airport seeks developers for Airport City

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...port-city.html

Quote:
The world's busiest airport plans to add an upscale hotel next to its domestic terminal, a sorely needed amenity for the more than 250,000 travelers that pass through daily.
The hotel is the centerpiece of an effort to spur commercial real estate development around the more than 4,700-acre campus of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It could also include office buildings and retail space.
"The Airport City concept would be a first-of-its-kind type of project in the United States and will include the four-star iconic hotel with 300 to 400 rooms attached to the domestic terminal or within walking distance,"

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 4:33 PM

how very le corbusien. #retrofuturism

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 2:50 PM

Hartsfield-Jackson to upgrade Plane Train

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/har...e-train/njybf/

Quote:
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport hopes to reduce downtime from outages by spending $25 million to upgrade its 34-year-old people-mover known as the Plane Train. The Atlanta City Council this month approved a resolution for the airport contract with Bombardier Transportation Holdings for the work.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:00 PM

Hartsfield-Jackson opens new entrance off I-75

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...-off-i-75.html

Quote:
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport opened a new north-bound entrance that will be will be marked by a 35-foot-tall monument March 28.

The opening of the intersection of Riverdale Road and Airport Boulevard is the final phase of a major roadway improvement project. As a result of the overall roadway construction project, there are now enhancements to safety on Airport roadways by eliminating short weaves and merges by adding lanes; improving sight lines and wayfinding signage; and increasing the distances between decision points along the roadways. The improved roadways will also reduce congestion caused by traffic leaving the Airport from the Rental Car Center and simplify Airport access from Riverdale Road, the airport reported.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 5:03 PM
BANNED

Looks Like I Will Be Driving From Now On!

http://www.inquisitr.com/2008340/ufo...or-hoax-video/

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 6:30 AM

The master plan introduced last year looks interesting. I like the idea of the additional international concourses (G, H, and I). Based on images I have seen, it looks like Concourse G will be attached to Concourse F and the International Terminal, while Concourses H and I will be further east.

One thing that the master plan doesn't seem to address though is public transportation to the International Terminal. I personally think the airport should extend the ATL SkyTrain around the south side of the airport to the International Terminal; this would make it easier to connect to MARTA and the Rental Car Center.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 4:01 PM

QATAR Airlines set to expand to Atlanta's Hartsfield Jackson International Airport.

From the press release:

Qatar Airways announces the next phase of its USA route development with the introduction of three new passenger routes to Los Angeles, Boston and Atlanta. With these new destinations, Qatar Airways will offer daily nonstop services to all 10 of the largest metropolitan areas of the United States.

Atlanta, Georgia, the business centre of the southeast region of the United States, will be Qatar Airways’ third new route to the US and will commence with daily flights starting on 1st July 2016. The route will be operated with the airline’s flagship Boeing 777 aircraft.

Read more here: http://www.qatarairways.com/us/en/pr...essrelease_usa

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The master plan introduced last year looks interesting. I like the idea of the additional international concourses (G, H, and I). Based on images I have seen, it looks like Concourse G will be attached to Concourse F and the International Terminal, while Concourses H and I will be further east.

One thing that the master plan doesn't seem to address though is public transportation to the International Terminal. I personally think the airport should extend the ATL SkyTrain around the south side of the airport to the International Terminal; this would make it easier to connect to MARTA and the Rental Car Center.
I also wish they'd do something about the schlep from E to passport control. Yesterday I had the double misfortune of both landing on the new farthest runway and then disembarking at the furthest E gate. It was about a 25 minute walk. I was traveling with some elderly people and it was a bit too much.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post

I'd agree with that. I think it's right choice. From now on, they can go to ATL SkyTrain and you will take on SkyTrain to Rent Car Center. You don't have get off the trains at ground transportation & baggage claim anymore. You can stay on the tram to the final stop.

As for concourses, I think they will build new concourse G at the same terminal. Do they think Plane Train will extended to the new concourses G, H & I? I think it's best way to do it. They can build a new entire concourse for both domestic & international gates capable. The entire concourse E will be converted into domestic gates. No longer international concourse. You will no longer go through concourse E customs & passport control.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I'd agree with that. I think it's right choice. From now on, they can go to ATL SkyTrain and you will take on SkyTrain to Rent Car Center. You don't have get off the trains at ground transportation & baggage claim anymore. You can stay on the tram to the final stop.

As for concourses, I think they will build new concourse G at the same terminal. Do they think Plane Train will extended to the new concourses G, H & I? I think it's best way to do it. They can build a new entire concourse for both domestic & international gates capable. The entire concourse E will be converted into domestic gates. No longer international concourse. You will no longer go through concourse E customs & passport control.
I am totally sure The Plane Train will be extended to concourses G, H, and I.

Looking at the diagrams in the master plan, it appears that Concourse G will be directly connected to the International Terminal as another wing on the southeastern part of the building, so I think O&D passengers in the International Terminal will not have to ride the train to/from Concourse G. However, Concourses H and I appear to be separate structures from the International Terminal, and will probably be connected underground by both the train and moving walkways.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 3:40 PM

Turkish Airlines starting 16MAY16 is adding another new US destination, with the launch of Istanbul Ataturk – Atlanta route. This will be served by 2-class Boeing 777-300ER aircraft on daily basis.

TK031 IST1330 – 1910ATL 77W D
TK032 ATL2200 – 1655+1IST 77W D

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 3:50 AM

Makeover for the Domestic terminals

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
Yay for external renovations especiall! Here are some of the renderings

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 9:11 PM

ATL planespotting 2015

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta