HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:14 PM

Staff Report, which recommends approval, and drawings [53 MB] for the Neuberger Hall Renovation.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Staff Report, which recommends approval, and drawings [53 MB] for the Neuberger Hall Renovation.
Design Commission voted to approve yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Photos: Getting down to business at Portland State University

Skanska is putting the finishing touches on a two-year project to build a modern new home for the Portland State University School of Business Administration. In addition to the complete renovation of approximately 100,000 square feet of existing space, the Karl Miller Center includes the construction of a new five-story pavilion building that connects to the existing building via an atrium with a series of criss-crossing stairways. The project was designed by the Boston office of German-based firm Behnisch Architecten and Portland-based SRG Partnership.

The pavilion will add 15 new classrooms, as well as interactive spaces and a tutoring lounge. The open layout is designed in part to foster interaction and collaboration between students and faculty. It includes three large, tiered classrooms – one with capacity for 80 students, and two with capacity for 60 — that were not able to be built in the existing building due to column spacing.
...continues at the DJC (no paywall).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
GLASS IS IN

...and wood, and stainless steel, at PSU's new biz school, as architects focus on performance.

In six weeks Portland State University will open its School of Business Administration after an ambitious remodel and addition.

Another cursory cube along Southwest Sixth has been retrofit with a silver skin, and now an angular glass atrium joins it to a wood-coated addition. The latter might look like a billionaire's home in wine country, but it is actually a series of staggered classrooms, stepped back to make Montgomery Street pedestrian-friendly.

It's a complicated structure where no two volumes are alike. In a site tour two architects showed the Business Tribune what's in store for students, faculty and yes, the general public, this September.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Portland State debuts $64 million business school building in heart of campus

For years, Portland State University’s School of Business students had little reason to stick around after class.

There was nowhere to meet and brainstorm or talk shop, and Dean Cliff Allen said the building itself seemed designed specifically to discourage such collaboration.

“They used to literally leave the building after class and sit in their cars,” Allen said. “That’s not conducive to learning.”

Those days are now gone. Starting this month, PSU business students have a shiny new home. Allen took media on a sneak peek tour of the building’s $64 million renovation and expansion now called the Karl Miller Center.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Let there be light

The Karl Miller Center - especially its massive atrium - gives PSU a sense of place

The five-story atrium at the center of Portland State University's new Karl Miller Center, the rechristened and expanded home of its School of Business, is a reminder that such wide-volume, light-filled spaces may be the most quintessential Oregon architecture.

It's easy to forget after another hot summer, but for much of the year we need indoor spaces places with enough glass to let us soak up natural light without getting wet. Most often that happens hanging out over cappuccinos in one of our city's countless coffee bars, or in retail enclaves like Powell's books. But the Karl Miller Center is something more: a little cathedral of light.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 7:03 AM

Also: the building is now open, and you don't need to be a student / staff member at PSU to wander around the atrium. It's worth checking out.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 6:35 PM

It's a great looking building, but I think I've spotted a design flaw for a college campus. Driving by late last night, a group of what I would assume were PSU students were doing their best to run up and climb the sloped side of the atrium. One of them was successful in getting halfway up.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
It's a great looking building, but I think I've spotted a design flaw for a college campus. Driving by late last night, a group of what I would assume were PSU students were doing their best to run up and climb the sloped side of the atrium. One of them was successful in getting halfway up.
It's also become a bit of a skateboarding hot spot. It seems like it may be pretty easy to climb up the side of the entry and then skate down the glass.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 5:07 PM

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 10:28 PM

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:18 AM

Design Advice Posting Notice for the Jasmine Block

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:28 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you linked to a really awful downtown bank building proposal from 1977.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:31 PM

Let me get this right. This 1977 bank design is completely dictated by the developer. The architecture firm has no blame. They just do what they are told? Really want to understand how this garbage gets proposed.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:32 AM
A before E

Quote:
Well now, after all these years, that is a major let down.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:11 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Lol good luck with design review!

Odd for an SRG project, however. It doesn't look particularly well developed, wonder if they are waiting for city feedback to take back to their client.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Drawings [22 MB] and memo.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Drawings [22 MB] and memo.
I think this looks like a great start. Classy, responsive, and coherent. I don't know how you could really even begin to form an opinion based on the little tiny rendering included with the posting notice.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I think this looks like a great start. Classy, responsive, and coherent. I don't know how you could really even begin to form an opinion based on the little tiny rendering included with the posting notice.
To each their own...If it looked more like the design inspiration on the top right box on page 12. That would be an exciting development.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
...If it looked more like the design inspiration on the top right box on page 12. That would be an exciting development.
Haha. That would indeed be more exciting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland