HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
I agree, however, the neighborhoods on the west side of the City feel like building a TRAX viaduct on 600 West would create yet another physical barrier between the west side of the city and Downtown.

Currently, there is not enough money to both rebuild the viaduct, and inlay the TRAX tracks in cement all along North Temple. Perhaps Rose Park and other west side communities should choose between rebuilding the North Temple viaduct which would accommodate TRAX, or building a new, cheaper TRAX viaduct on 600 West and using the leftover funds to pay for both the inlay of the TRAX tracks, and the "boulevard" amenities/upgrades along North Temple.

I once thought the views from the North Temple viaduct would give transit riders and visitors a sense of arrival into downtown, However, now these views have been blocked by current development at the Gateway. I now think the Airport TRAX line should run down 600 West, and should be seen as a connector between the west side community and Downtown, rather than a divider. This alignment will also insure the vitality of Salt Lake Central Station.

Furthermore, the implementation of the Airport TRAX line will reduce North Temple from six lanes to four lanes, thus there is potential of also reducing the number of lanes on the viaduct from six to four, freeing up more space on the current viaduct for bicycle lanes. And, by not running on 400 West, the Airport Line will not interfere with the future Salt Lake-Davis County TRAX line and cause transit congestion.

Eventually, I would like the North Temple viaduct shortened, but I don't think it should ever accommodate TRAX.

Just some doodling:

I take an Express Bus down that comes in via North Temple twice/week and know exactly what view you are talking about. Even with the Hyatt fully topped out, there is still a spectacular view from the first part of the viaduct. The second half will be removed anyway, so I think this view will be preserved. It's really an excellent view! You see the Wasatch drapped over the down down skyline, you see every major building down town including Tower 1 and 222, you can see the Gateway rail-front view which almost has the feel of a city beside a river (taller buildings suddenly rising from the ground unobstructed by other buildings). I think that this will be a great "grand entrence" to down town for TRAX riders - especially new-commers who are going to down town to pass time while waiting for a connecting flight. With new direct routes to Paris, Tokyo, and a potential India route, I think this will be a great image to display to international visitors. Now that you bring it up, I do firmly support the North Temple viaduct option (without a station connecting to FrontRunner, of course.)

So I was looking at your map. I can identify all but the yellow and green lines. Are these potential street-car lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
The viaduct is needed to cross the heavy rail line. Trax cannot cross it at grade, it has to go over it or under it. There is no need to fly over I-15 because trax can go under it.
Oh yeah, that makes sense.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 4:28 AM
BANNED

The green is a circulator, and the yellow is the West Valley-University Line.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 1:34 PM
Chairman

Does a form of circulator transit system exist in SLC?

-sb

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 2:32 PM

Not yet but hopefully by or shortly after the 2015 timeframe for the opening of the new lines. The plans are already in place for the lines, the City has approved the lines as has UTA. To my knowledge the only thing stopping the lines from being constructed is money.

The circulars would take approximately 100 million to put into place.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post

The green is a circulator, and the yellow is the West Valley-University Line.
So these are actual routes? Or is it you sayng what you would hope to see in the future?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 5:32 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

These routes are part of the downtown transportation master plan. And what many of us would like to see, so both I guess.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:56 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Question: Is the downtown rising project a 20 year plan or more like a 50 year plan?

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 5:38 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
Question: Is the downtown rising project a 20 year plan or more like a 50 year plan?

Til 2040 or so they say.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:44 PM

Downtown Rising really has achieved quite a bit in the short time since they put out their plan. Some of the things still seem like a ways off, such as the circulator, but a lot of their goals listed on the website are already in motion.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 7:23 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
Downtown Rising really has achieved quite a bit in the short time since they put out their plan. Some of the things still seem like a ways off, such as the circulator, but a lot of their goals listed on the website are already in motion.
Regardless of who has achieved what, SLC has achieved much more than cities and metro's larger than SLC. (That is just my observation.)

That my friends is called being pro-active due to pride of one's hometown.

-sb

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 4:14 AM

Some rendering of North temple with the airport line and some development ideas/zoning that the City is considering http://www.slcgov.com/events/NT.htm

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 4:50 AM

^^^ Great find! I hope they embed the tracks

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 7:15 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Thanks for finding that, cololi!

The ballasted tracks would be so effing ugly. They better do it right and embed in concrete. I'm sure we'll find a way to come up with money for the trees later on. Hades even a fundraiser could take care of them. As for the sidewalks, they can be put in after the neighborhood gets a facelift.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
These routes are part of the downtown transportation master plan. And what many of us would like to see, so both I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
Some rendering of North temple with the airport line and some development ideas/zoning that the City is considering http://www.slcgov.com/events/NT.htm
I am trying to figure out were that urban picture with the crosswalk will be at. Is that on North Temple? If so, which side of the freeway? Which direction is the pic looking toward?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
Closed account

Somebody made a really awesome map of TRAX and frontrunner that had three lines going to the intermodal hub; I can't find it anywhere.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 12:26 PM

Metro, I'm pretty sure I placed that forumer's post over on the general transportation thread under the SkyscaperPage Forum section: Salt Lake City Debutes Lightrail...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 3:35 PM

I drew this a few months ago. Is this what you're talking about?
I have no idea how the Airport, W. Valley, and Mid-Jordan lines will all interface with each other, this is just what it could look like if they all ran to the Intermodal hub and there was no "sub-hub" at N. Temple:

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 10:47 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post

I am trying to figure out were that urban picture with the crosswalk will be at. Is that on North Temple? If so, which side of the freeway? Which direction is the pic looking toward?
It is a rendering of what potential N. Temple would have and I would love to see the city and the urban aspects of the city extend along N. Temple.

It is drawn somewhere from around Redwood Road I would guess and it's facing east. You can see the COB in the background.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 5:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
I drew this a few months ago. Is this what you're talking about?
I have no idea how the Airport, W. Valley, and Mid-Jordan lines will all interface with each other, this is just what it could look like if they all ran to the Intermodal hub and there was no "sub-hub" at N. Temple:

Ahh yes! I would love to see your map in a TRAX train ark.

A couple of things:

As for this whole debate about the airport line. Here is how simple the solution is: Spend the money on concrete embedding and then progressively beautify it rather than doing it all at once. Done deal. Problem solved.

Whatever eye candy is put in will be counterbalanced with ballast tracks running through the center of the street. Utah planning always seems to have a problem with looking at things in long term aspects. Just because trees won't be lining the streets up right away doesn't mean you should jeopardize the whole operation.

Also, I mentioned this earlier and I saw this on rideuta.com for the Mid-Jordan Line:

Crews will be working on the rail crossing on 9000 South between 4000 West and approximately 4400 West. Beginning at 9 a.m. on March 25th, traffic will be restricted to one lane in each direction on the north side of 9000 South until April 1st. Crews will then move work to the opposite side of the road, and traffic will be shifted to one lane in each direction on the south side of the road beginning April 2nd; 9000 South is anticipated to fully re-open on Wednesday, April 8th. To accommodate construction, access to and from Old Bingham Highway at 9000 South will be closed beginning on March 25th. Old Bingham Highway will remain accessible from 4800 West.

I have a friend whose room has a great view of the Old Bingham stretch between 4000 W and 4800 W so at some point I'll get out and take some pictures since there is something to actually to take pictures of.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 6:39 PM
Bring out the cranes...

The Trax line needs to be embed in concrete. also i love all the highrises that could pop up along north temple. what a gateway this will be to our city.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West