HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
+1. Finally, a voice of reason amongst the Clackamas-esque ranting.
And speaking of generalizing....

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 1:12 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post

I do think it's strange to want to mix nightclubs and social services, but there aren't many other uses that really want to locate in that area right now. With height and far restrictions it's got to be tough for a developer to decide to build there instead of other parts of the city that have been groomed for development like Riverplace, South Waterfront, the Pearl, NW 23rd, the CEID, the Lloyd Center, along the new Orange Line, the Interstate Corridor, etc?

It's like Gateway. It's a challenging area, and there are much easier ones, so why would a developer waste their time on the harder project that would seem to have more risk?
I would love to see height bonuses given to developers that wish to redevelop empty lots in Old Town with micro apartment buildings. It is one of the places in the city that I think would be right for tiny apartments and lots of young people living "the city life" in.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 2:31 AM

there are these.http://www.opb.org/news/blog/ecotrop...0-square-feet/ even with all its warts and all id still live in chinatown if i were single. not sure the missus is on board but there are a few buildings that are ok, more specifically those two towers on the west side of 4th around flanders.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 7:06 PM

Open house tonight about new Health Clinic. The article below doesn't actually state this, but it's being held at the Bud Clark Commons.

Quote:
Multnomah County to host open house for new Health Department headquarters

By Kelly House

Multnomah County residents who are curious about the county’s $46 million project to build a new Health Department headquarters can get an up-close look at the design during an open house Wednesday night.

During the event, which starts at 6:30 p.m., County Chairwoman Deborah Kafoury will speak about the project to replace the 91-year-old McCoy Building downtown with a modern structure in Old Town/Chinatown, between Bud Clark Commons and Union Station.

Architects from ZGF Architects, the firm in charge of designing the new headquarters, will also deliver a presentation outlining the construction timeline, offering previews of the building’s interior and exterior look and detailing the services to be housed there.
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 6:18 AM

Multnomah County Health Department HQ | 144' | 9 floors | Proposed

Quote:
New addition to Portland's skyline discussed between city, county leaders

Portland City Council members seemed on Wednesday to favor changing the height limitations for a Multnomah County construction project that could change the Portland skyline.

It's not the $250 million courthouse project at the west end of the Hawthorne Bridge.

Multnomah County's Health Department wants a new headquarters for about 350 administrative staff and other health workers, and to fit them all, officials want to build on vacant space next to the Bud Clark Commons and within walking distance to the Union Station.

The city block, surrounded by Northwest Irving and Hoyt streets, Broadway and Sixth Avenue, has a 75-foot height limit and City Council members are scheduled to vote next week on increasing the limit to 105 feet with the possibility for the county to increase the project another 45 feet through a bonus system.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 12:42 AM

The PDC is going to use money previously allocated for the Hawthorne Bridge ramps realignment to help Multnomah County pay for the new health dept.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 7:13 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Thats such a beautiful rendering. Is that fritted glass?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Thats such a beautiful rendering. Is that fritted glass?
it doesnt even look in scale

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Health Department building project doubles in height and price

The project to relocate hundreds of Multnomah County health workers into a new downtown headquarters has just about doubled in height and estimated price.

Original plans from 2014 and zoning limits didn't fit the county's needs until earlier this year. County officials plan to build on an empty lot at the corner of Northwest Hoyt Street and Sixth Avenue next to the Bud Clark Commons.

"(It) wasn't the best direction for Multnomah County," said Chairwoman Deborah Kafoury during Tuesday's project briefing with commissioners.

The formerly planned six-story, $45 million building should grow to nine stories and run between $85 million to $95 million, if commissioners approve initial plans next week. Portland Development Commission urban renewal dollars will pay for about $36.4 million. The county plans to pay for the rest by selling an older building, using some savings and financing the rest with bonds.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 6:51 AM

ZGF Architects have scheduled a Pre-Application Conference to discuss the Multnomah County Health Department Headquarters:

Quote:
Proposal for nine story headquarters building for the Multnomah County Health Department.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 8:42 PM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:31 AM

ZGF Architects have requested Design Advice for the Multnomah County Health Department Headquarters:

Quote:
Proposed project is a nine story headquarters building for the Multnomah County Health Department.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 11:27 PM
A before E

It is good to have ZGF designing this one, it should make for a good little addition to the area.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It is good to have ZGF designing this one, it should make for a good little addition to the area.
You'd think. Here's hoping the NV design team is busy on that new Chamber of Commerce building in Ulan Bator.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 3:23 AM

Presentation [PDF] given to the Multnomah County Board of Commissioners.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 4:21 AM

Well, it doesnt look like a turd. Would be a good addition to the area.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:27 AM
A before E

I actually like it, at first I was thinking this is really gonna stand out at that site compared to it surrounding....then I got to the bottom and saw what it would look like surrounded by potential future development, and then it just disappears basically. Amazing how much denser and taller that area might get in the future.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 11:10 AM
obit anus, abit onus

Looks Brutalist, dare I say it. I like it.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:43 PM
Closed account

That looks terrible

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 7:02 PM

They're just going to have a nearly blank wall facing Bud Clark?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland