HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:09 PM

RiverPlace Redevelopment - Central City Master Plan | Proposed

Testimony from GBD on the Central City 2035 plan, regarding redevelopment of Riverplace.

(I'll leave this here now, but if anything comes of it I'll put it in its own thread.)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 1:16 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Testimony from GBD on the Central City 2035 plan, regarding redevelopment of Riverplace.

(I'll leave this here now, but if anything comes of it I'll put it in its own thread.)
I seriously would poop my pants if this happened, just the fact that they are seeking height increases is just amazing for Riverplace. Its current design makes it feel almost suburban by design and feels like it is what is creating a disconnect from downtown to the South Waterfront.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 1:38 AM

Oh pleeeease let this happen Portland.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:34 PM

Please, please can we NOT have people pooping their pants in this forum? It's shitty enough as it is.

(ba dump, dump)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 9:02 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Please, please can we NOT have people pooping their pants in this forum? It's shitty enough as it is.

(ba dump, dump)
This seems appropriate.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 11:28 PM
Registered Ugly

^ whoa.

Last edited by subterranean; Oct 4, 2017 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 1:27 PM

Not bad.

Laughing at the renderings though that have a bunch of grey tall buildings thrown in there at places that cannot conceivably exist.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 8:55 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
Not bad.

Laughing at the renderings though that have a bunch of grey tall buildings thrown in there at places that cannot conceivably exist.
I noticed that too, did they do what was zoned for those sites or did they just do a copy and paste with a generic grey building?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 3:20 PM

Might as well make this its own thread, now that the WW has picked it up. The illustration doesn't really bear any relationship to the proposal, but the reporting is good.

Quote:
A Developer Dangles the Possibility of 500 Affordable Apartments—in Exchange for the Right to Build Downtown Skyscrapers

It’s by far the largest proposal floated under the city’s new inclusionary housing policy. And it threatens to agitate an already heated debate over how high Portland’s skyline can go.

Few civic changes anger Portlanders like the threat of tall buildings blocking familiar views.

Now a Portland-based real estate investment and development company has arrived at City Hall with a proposal to crowd the skyline with skyscrapers as tall as 40 stories on the downtown waterfront.

In exchange, it's offering to build up to 500 affordable apartments with no public cash. All it wants is the rights to the sky.

It's by far the largest proposal floated under the city's new inclusionary housing policy, which requires developers to set aside affordable units in projects of 20 apartments or more.

And it threatens to agitate an already heated debate over how high Portland's skyline can go.
...continues at the Willamette Week.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 3:37 PM

innovativethinking should be pretty happy to hear about this.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 4:34 PM

This is a good write-up, but that article graphic is seriously inflammatory for people who don't know its not illustrative of actual heights. At least the comments address it, but then who reads the comments?

I think this height change would be great, so long as it still steps down to the river these developments are not out of context at all based on the other high rises nearby.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 4:52 PM
Registered Ugly

Proposals like this make me think we're headed for another recession.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Proposals like this make me think we're headed for another recession.
The pitch is obviously for the whole project, but I would imagine these would go up in the same incremental fashion that the Oregon Square project is coming in: Phased and built with demand.

But you have to negotiate for the best case scenario to lock in heights and zoning. I wouldn't neccesarily call this project a canary for a recession, but there are probably broader indicators at indicate as much for the US as a whole.

The top of the rental market is definitely softening in Portland right now and that data is readily available. Tons of unfilled demand at mid and low market prices, though.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:48 PM
A before E

That might be one of the best renderings I have seen in a while, its as if those are real buildings in the skyline.

I really hope the city sides with Riverplace with this because it would be such a great change for that area. The current Riverplace would be better as a downtown Lake Oswego rather than a prime spot in downtown Portland. Currently that area is still very under utilized and a change like this would help tie downtown to SoWa better.

"Would my walks become more perilous through Pearl District-like traffic, sunless wind tunnels and cold concrete and glass storefronts?"

Talk about a BS quote right there, "sunless wind tunnels?" Its as if the person who said that has never been to Chicago or New York or any other skyscraper big city. The Pearl is far from being a sunless wind tunnel district. As for concrete and glass, that is just common building materials. Might as well have just said they only like things built out of wood and brick.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Talk about a BS quote right there, "sunless wind tunnels?" Its as if the person who said that has never been to Chicago or New York or any other skyscraper big city. The Pearl is far from being a sunless wind tunnel district. As for concrete and glass, that is just common building materials. Might as well have just said they only like things built out of wood and brick.
I think it's rather telling that the quote was from a "West End resident". His real concern is likely about views of Mt. Hood being obstructed.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 7:31 PM

What properties near the Riverplace are they talking about exactly?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
What properties near the Riverplace are they talking about exactly?
2025 SW River Drive and 0308-0320 SW Montgomery Street, which are owned by NBP River Drive Investments LLC, are the properties in question.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 10:11 PM

Just found out Kengo Kuma & Associates are involved with this. Very interesting.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 11:08 PM
BANNED

Now this is what I’m talking about. Investors know just I like been saying that this city with the demands that it is bringing, needs these type of heights. It’s a booming population that could use the tower density that Vancouver BC has for example.

It’s about time somebody is not scared

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 12:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Just found out Kengo Kuma & Associates are involved with this. Very interesting.
If I can ask, why is that interesting?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland