HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 2:48 AM
Never been to El Paso

I've been keeping up with this since the beginning. I will reserve final judgement until it's finished, but I continue to be unimpressed with the design, to the point that I almost wish that that part of the skyline would have been left blank.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordElPaso View Post
I've been keeping up with this since the beginning. I will reserve final judgement until it's finished, but I continue to be unimpressed with the design, to the point that I almost wish that that part of the skyline would have been left blank.
You can kindly keep that negativity back in Houston. This is one of the top projects in the country right now, sheesh...

As an architect, I say: relax and don't jump to conclusions yet.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 5:15 AM
More of that.

Quote:
Mm riiiiiiiii......iiiiiiiiight.....

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 5:22 AM
Never been to El Paso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
You can kindly keep that negativity back in Houston. This is one of the top projects in the country right now, sheesh...

As an architect, I say: relax and don't jump to conclusions yet.
Don't take it personally. I already said I'd reserve judgement, and really hope that I like the finished product. My concern is that it becomes an awkward-looking eyesore on one of the best, classiest skylines in the country.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 11:22 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

To each his/her own. I think this is a fantastic addition to skyline.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 12:10 PM

I think we can expect lots of mixed reactions to this building. This building isn’t designed to be graceful. A much safer design is something like FMC which everyone will say looks nice but there is nothing really cutting edge about it. Salesforce, which is a beautiful building is once again, a safe deign and really just another simplified variation of Hong Kong’s IFC. CITC is more of a variation of the Commerzbank is Frankfurt – not something anyone would really jump to do with the exception of the architect of that building.

Part of me thinks it may be better to just have a glassy, tapered tower instead but I appreciate Comcast deciding to be bold by going in this direction. Stacked boxes with an offset smokestack? Who does that?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 12:50 PM

PHL10, you summarized my exact thoughts on CITC. Thank you. (Also, sales force while very nice, is also a retread of Pelli's Gran Torre Santiago in Chile). Comcast wanted something different, vertical loft like workspaces in a skyscraper, huge skygardens. This isn't a normal office or mixed use building. The outside elevator banks are going to give a CN Tower like feel riding up. CITC is "different"- and I like that.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 1:43 PM

I think people need to take into consideration the functionality of the building. there is a reason why certain aspects of the building are built this way.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 2:57 PM

Don't crucify me, but count me in the "undecided" group. The tower's massing is somewhat awkward to me and the skin isn't as dark as I had originally thought. But I'm really excited to see what the finished product looks like.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Don't crucify me, but count me in the "undecided" group. The tower's massing is somewhat awkward to me and the skin isn't as dark as I had originally thought. But I'm really excited to see what the finished product looks like.
You people are cray. That building will be awesome.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 3:57 PM
Philly Rising Up!

The shape of building is not radical. Basically a very large rectangular vertical box with fancy skin. The attributes of the building are unique like the elevators on the exterior corners and electrified lantern extending from the base of the building to the the full height of the building. But, that's not to say it's not a top notch building all around in lots of people's eyes, myself included. Most of the radical design buildings are outside of the US, with the exception of Manhattan and Chicago. And, for an example, I'm thinking of the Frank Gehry High Rise in Lower Manhattan. That being said, CITC is your unconventional office/mix use bldg with a number of awesome attributes. A win-win for Philly for sure.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Nov 2, 2016 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 4:28 PM
Philly Pholly

This is one building where the success will lie in the details. and materials chosen. The all important shaft has yet to unveil it's surface and how it will catch the light... or emit... anticipation

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 5:08 PM

Comcast II at night.

[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 5:20 PM
SimCity World Champ

To each his own. I have no problem with the building itself, but I think the location is unfortunate. The view down the parkway from the museum is Philly's most iconic. You've gained this building but lost the view of Mellon and Liberty 1, which is the best of the bunch IMO. One block west, at 1900 Arch, would have been perfect. Oh well.

As for Salesforce Tower being a retread of other Pelli towers, he works with obelisks, so they'll all be somewhat alike. I find it interesting to see how the same basic shape can be made into so many different appearances. I urge people to look at the detail and quality of Salesforce's cladding compared to the others mentioned. It really is a different building.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Really? Do you happen to know what happened to Santa Claus at an E-A-G-L-E-S Game years ago??

I've been to Houston, Texas in the summer, it ain't pretty.. went down for a suntan, came home white as a ghost. (Couldn't sit in the SUN, you would melt.) It was hotter than

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkyline View Post
To each his own. I have no problem with the building itself, but I think the location is unfortunate. The view down the parkway from the museum is Philly's most iconic. You've gained this building but lost the view of Mellon and Liberty 1, which is the best of the bunch IMO. One block west, at 1900 Arch, would have been perfect. Oh well.

As for Salesforce Tower being a retread of other Pelli towers, he works with obelisks, so they'll all be somewhat alike. I find it interesting to see how the same basic shape can be made into so many different appearances. I urge people to look at the detail and quality of Salesforce's cladding compared to the others mentioned. It really is a different building.
I don't mind that this building is replacing the view of other buildings. That's the way a city should be. Can't not build a supertall for fear it will block views of something else. Plus, the 1900 block of Arch will have more buildings built on it in the future.

Salesforce is a very, very nice tower. However, it is a safe design. Most people will say it's a nice building. It fits perfectly within San Francisco, as most people will say they like the city.

CITC is a much more edgy design - it's something you would find in London. Some people may love it, some people may hate it... but that's what I like most about it. It's the perfect building for Philadelphia, as the city pretty much invokes that same exact response out of people. It's a work of art, and is forcing people to talk about it, no matter what opinion they have of it.

Not to mention the tower is very modern while including elements of Philadelphia manufacturing and industrial past - which is also a very great nod to the city.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 6:13 PM

The Skyline actually looks lonely without CITC....

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 7:03 PM
Never been to El Paso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
Really? Do you happen to know what happened to Santa Claus at an E-A-G-L-E-S Game years ago??

I've been to Houston, Texas in the summer, it ain't pretty.. went down for a suntan, came home white as a ghost. (Couldn't sit in the SUN, you would melt.) It was hotter than
Haha. I'm from Philly, so I know. I have plenty of scathing reviews for Houston as well. Yes, summers are indeed hell here.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkyline View Post
The view down the parkway from the museum is Philly's most iconic. You've gained this building but lost the view of Mellon and Liberty 1, which is the best of the bunch IMO.
The view from south street bridge is going to be pretty great though....

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Found on Flickr by: Krtz09 - wonderful pic.

[IMG]DSCN0039 by Krtz07, on Flickr[/IMG]
LordElPaso, I was just making light. I'm glad you're from Philly. But I think at whatever vista point you're viewing the skyline, sometimes if you just move a foot or two, it changes drastically. My favorites are Mellon and 3 Logan too. But sometimes you just have to take the bitter with the you know, sweet. God I hate clichés.
The photo above actually shows ALL of Philly's "SuperTalls". or "extra tall highrises".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture