HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:17 PM

Cleary and New Orchard Plan

I was trying to find somewhere to post this, and didn't see anything that fit the bill, so started a new thread.

I receive the Planning and Development e-newsletter from the City of Ottawa, and in their February edition, they had a blurb about the Cleary and New Orchard Planning Study. I thought forum members might like to read up on it, and also provide their feedback on the questionnaire.

Here's a cut and paste of the text from the e-newsletter:

Visit ottawa.ca/clearyneworchard to review the proposed draft policies and take a few minutes to answer our questionnaire before March 11.

The City of Ottawa has developed draft Site Specific Policies, Westboro Secondary Plan Amendments and Zoning Amendments to guide future development around the new Cleary and New Orchard LRT stations. Draft policies and zoning are based on input from two public open houses and a survey.

https://s-ca.chkmkt.com/surveys/mess...FEE10&l=en&f=4

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 7:05 PM

Oh, and just a note... each question of the questionnaire not only asks you to rate each statement (i.e. strongly agree, agree, strongly disagree, etc.), but also gives you space to provide comments.

I made sure to suggest taller buildings and greater densities in these neighbourhoods!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I was trying to find somewhere to post this, and didn't see anything that fit the bill, so started a new thread.

I receive the Planning and Development e-newsletter from the City of Ottawa, and in their February edition, they had a blurb about the Cleary and New Orchard Planning Study. I thought forum members might like to read up on it, and also provide their feedback on the questionnaire.

Here's a cut and paste of the text from the e-newsletter:

Visit ottawa.ca/clearyneworchard to review the proposed draft policies and take a few minutes to answer our questionnaire before March 11.

The City of Ottawa has developed draft Site Specific Policies, Westboro Secondary Plan Amendments and Zoning Amendments to guide future development around the new Cleary and New Orchard LRT stations. Draft policies and zoning are based on input from two public open houses and a survey.

https://s-ca.chkmkt.com/surveys/mess...FEE10&l=en&f=4
I had a problem with the survey link. It's telling me I've already taken the survey. This link worked for me: https://s-ca.chkmkt.com/?e=108938&h=...3EB7FEE10&l=en

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Oh, and just a note... each question of the questionnaire not only asks you to rate each statement (i.e. strongly agree, agree, strongly disagree, etc.), but also gives you space to provide comments.

I made sure to suggest taller buildings and greater densities in these neighbourhoods!
I did this as well, but forgot to put somewhere that they should upgrade the surrounding neighbourhood from R1 / R2 to R3 or R4 zoning. If anyone else wants to do that, I would recommend it.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 12:43 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Maybe here?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=214409

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Move it there or leave it here, I'm fine with either. I just wanted to give everyone the opportunity to comment on the plan via the survey.

If the link says you've already done the survey, try visiting the Ottawa.ca website and clinking on the link from there?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 9:42 PM

I did the survey and suggested a little bit more height. I also pointed out that the proposal of retirement residents and long term care facilities at Clearly is sort of an oxymoron because those uses don't generate transit ridership.

In terms of proposed heights, I don't think it's that bad. We have a traditional, quiet, low-density mid-century neighborhood to the south, a traditional main street in the middle and the river up north. Medium density with a few towers of 18-30 floors (a little more than the City's preferred concept) seems appropriate.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
In terms of proposed heights, I don't think it's that bad. We have a traditional, quiet, low-density mid-century neighborhood to the south, a traditional main street in the middle and the river up north. Medium density with a few towers of 18-30 floors (a little more than the City's preferred concept) seems appropriate.
I also suggested up to 30 storeys, especially in areas away from single-storey dwellings.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 5:04 PM
From the Planning Paradox

Quote:
I did the survey and suggested a little bit more height. I also pointed out that the proposal of retirement residents and long term care facilities at Clearly is sort of an oxymoron because those uses don't generate transit ridership.
Good point but it depends on the nature of the retirement resident. Those that are more on the independent living spectrum could still access transit, as well as visitors and staff.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
That's an awfully definitive statement.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 12:52 AM

Survey results, released in April 2018. Prepare for mind numbing NIMBYism.

https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...y_awhir_en.pdf

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 1:21 AM
ハルウララ

I need to go lie down after reading some of those comments.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
This one was a classic comment

'Mid-rise is better than fetishizing low-rise and frozen 1960s Leave it To Beaver development's'.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
I love all the people complaining about the loss of "views".

A single-family home with a "view" blocks the "view" from the property behind it. Only the occupants of that single-family home get to enjoy that view.

Knock that 1963 suburban ranch down and replace it with, say, a multi-unit building with 24 units on the river side. Suddenly, 24 households have that view to the river.

If you love the idea that residents should have views, build up!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
too high

followed shortly thereafter by:

Too low!

And this:

If you want to block the sun and re-create the aberration you created on Richmond near Island Pk. High rises are the way to go.

I hadn't noticed that Richmond Road had been permanently cast into shadow. I am going to have a word with some astronomers later this month about this weird phenomenon where Ottawa, uniquely amongst all points on the surface of the earth, does not rotate about the axis of the earth. Weird, man. Weird.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 9:15 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I love all the people complaining about the loss of "views".
It's essentially "I don't want to lose MY view so that forty other people can have that same view! It's not fair!"

I get the concerns about parkspace, totally get that; But preserving views, whether they actually exist or not, just bothers me to no end.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 10:04 PM

Something that drives me nuts is that the comments often have nothing to do with the specific question.

There's a question that starts with stating that Ambleside area as mostly a high-rise community and one guy comments they are missleading the people because the area is mostly family homes. He is clearly not talking about Ambleside. So many of these examples of people jumping around the study area with their comments instead of answering the question.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
It's essentially "I don't want to lose MY view so that forty other people can have that same view! It's not fair!"

I get the concerns about parkspace, totally get that; But preserving views, whether they actually exist or not, just bothers me to no end.
Preserving *public* views is often a laudable planning goal.

But preserving private ones? Pfft.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Something that drives me nuts is that the comments often have nothing to do with the specific question.

There's a question that starts with stating that Ambleside area as mostly a high-rise community and one guy comments they are missleading the people because the area is mostly family homes. He is clearly not talking about Ambleside. So many of these examples of people jumping around the study area with their comments instead of answering the question.
There was one comment, maybe the same one, that I thought had a good point how the planners described the community south of Byron as a "stable community", which implies that the area north of Richmond (Ambleside) is not a stable community. It brings in to question why the City's planners always revere detached housing communities as untouchable whereas you can always cram more towers in "towers in a park" communities - screw the "park" aspect.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
There was one comment, maybe the same one, that I thought had a good point how the planners described the community south of Byron as a "stable community", which implies that the area north of Richmond (Ambleside) is not a stable community. It brings in to question why the City's planners always revere detached housing communities as untouchable whereas you can always cram more towers in "towers in a park" communities - screw the "park" aspect.
Please, do screw the "park" aspect. Useless, sterile grass for the most part.

The public also reveres detached housing as immutable and sacred, so there's that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa