HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

2116 Chestnut in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
Where that iz?
Seriously? Look up!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 4:46 PM

St. James - 8th & Walnut. Construction began in December 2001, shortly after 9/11.

At 2116, the developer hung a project banner. It lists 2116Chestnut.com as the website for the project, for rental information, etc. Guess the name of the building is going to be "2116 Chestnut." As of today, the website isn't up.

The banner acknowledges the project team, as well as the investment of state PA.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Official groundbreaking Thursday 3-1-2012

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...t-work-on.html

The official groundbreaking of a new $100 million, 33-story apartment tower at 2116 Chestnut St. in Center City is set for Thursday.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...t-work-on.html

The official groundbreaking of a new $100 million, 33-story apartment tower at 2116 Chestnut St. in Center City is set for Thursday.

Nice

I like how the article says the Medical Center will be knocked down lol... Uhh clearly they haven't seen the sight

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 4:29 AM

They finally put 2116 Chestnut on John Buck Co.'s website!!! Took them long enough!
http://www.tjbc.com/development/projects/39

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 4:09 PM

So this is a 29 (or 30) story tower on a 4 (or 5) story parking deck. Wonder what final height is?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 4:53 PM
International

Man, what a terribly bland and uninspiring design. The developers/architects really dropped the ball with this one!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Man, what a terribly bland and uninspiring design. The developers/architects really dropped the ball with this one!
Blame it on the NIMBY's.... John Buck Co. had an amazing design before the NIMBY's had their usual hissy-fit

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Blame it on the NIMBY's.... John Buck Co. had an amazing design before the NIMBY's had their usual hissy-fit
In all fairness to the NIMBYs, which I'm the first to criticize, I think this uninspired design is more a result of the economy than of any near-neighbor opposition. They opposed the height and lost - we got the height. I doubt highly they opposed balconies or eye-catching architecture. In any case, inspired or no, I'm very excited about this project and the vitality it is bound to add to this section of CCW. I only hope the retail space doesn't sit like a big gaping cavern like the Murano's ground floor.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
In all fairness to the NIMBYs, which I'm the first to criticize, I think this uninspired design is more a result of the economy than of any near-neighbor opposition. They opposed the height and lost - we got the height. I doubt highly they opposed balconies or eye-catching architecture. In any case, inspired or no, I'm very excited about this project and the vitality it is bound to add to this section of CCW. I only hope the retail space doesn't sit like a big gaping cavern like the Murano's ground floor.
I think they did oppose the way it looked and the effect on the views and shading and all that other stuff that NIMBYs complain about.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
This part of town can use another decent supermarket, in addition to Trader Joes at 22nd and Market. I doubt, however, that the Sansom street neighbors would stand for food delivery truck traffic, not to mention dumpsters. Don't know why this is so. It seems that in NYC, there's a Food Emporium or D'Agostino's in the parking deck of every new apartment or condominium tower. Is Philadelphia's NIMBY resistance to sharing a block with a supermarket something to be proud of, or just provincial paranoia?

A supermarket was part of the "Opus" plan for the old Penn Center Inn site at 20th and Market. Now, it's owned by Brandywine Realty (with big pockets), and there's a Salove Company sign on the lot advertising retail space. Something's up. Maybe a supermarket will be tolerated there because it's a larger, commercial lot.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 9:39 PM

Very bland design. I especially hate the brick base, first because it doesn't match up at all with the shaft and second because it shows a complete lack of balls on the part of the architect to try to design something different. For god sakes, NOT EVERYTHING IN PHILADELPHIA HAS TO BE BRICK!

In any case, I don't think Inga's take has been posted yet even though it's a few weeks old.

Quote:
Changing Skyline: Planned Chestnut Street skyscraper has pedestrian design

The renderings, by Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture of Chicago, show a nearly featureless glass shaft rising from a plain, brick-and-glass base - slick and impersonal. Except for some detailing on the lower floors, there is barely anything worthy of being called articulation.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 10:11 PM

On the tower, looks like bands of ribbon windows separated by bands of painted concrete. Kind of like the Murano.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 8:25 PM

Windy Day Updates! Enjoying that weather out there, I hope you all have the chance to as well. Plenty of activity on the site.

Untitled by Dharmalar, on Flickr

Untitled by Dharmalar, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 7:35 AM

Once again... thanks for the update. Glad to see so much going on.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 1:26 AM
BANNED

3-12-12

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 1:40 AM

Am I seeing things or is that part of a tower crane?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Yeah man this took a while to get all the i's dotted and t's crossed but they are not messing around now.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:22 AM

Wow... nice. Very excited now

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 5:13 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Wow... nice. Very excited now
I went by today (Tuesday) and the tower crane is all assembled and in place. It looks so big.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive