HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 9:21 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
CBC radio is a nessesaity (sic).
less critical today with satellite and streaming services, but still good none the less and in many cases is a local news source preferred over tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Crap like Canadian Air Farce, Little Mosque on the Prarie and yes the new Anne of GG are examples of shit we shouldn't pay for. But Schittz Creek is genius.
I assume you mean in a historical case and RAF and LMotP have been off the air for years. (2008 and 2012). And as Acajack states, we each have our own preferences as I find SC and Kim's Convenience both excruciating to watch.

I think in answering the OP's question, we need to ask another question and that is, what role should the CBC play? Is it to "tie us together", produce Canadian stories (that we've likely heard a million times already - Anne!), show Canadian sports (TSN, SN, RDI ???) or something else.

I hardly watch tv, but when I do** I can't imagine why I would watch CBC - no offence, but I just don't know what role it's trying to fill.

** FTR, when I watch tv it's mainly HBO/AMC dramas.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 9:34 PM

At a minimum, CBC English television should be shut down. It's a money pit of no real value - it is very rare to see a CBC show, other than hockey, rank even in the top 50 in ratings.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
At a minimum, CBC English television should be shut down. It's a money pit of no real value - it is very rare to see a CBC show, other than hockey, rank even in the top 50 in ratings.
Is that even a relevant criteria? Not challenging, just asking. I imagine it depends on what role is envisaged for the CBC.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 9:44 PM

Feb. 27-March 5, oddly enough HNIC didn't make the top 30 programs for the week. Murdoch Mysteries and Heartland were the only CBC programs on the list.

http://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/F...(National).pdf

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Feb. 27-March 5, oddly enough HNIC didn't make the top 30 programs for the week. Murdoch Mysteries and Heartland were the only CBC programs on the list.

http://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/F...(National).pdf
Rare event on that Saturday, Maple Leafs did not play. Probably a big contributor to HNIC not making it.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
As noted on another thread, the CBC wants $400 million in annual increased donations from Ottawa so it can be ad-free.

I think CBC Radio is universally appreciated but far less so the CBC. In it's desperate bid for ad revenue we get our national broadcaster "bringing us together coast to coast to coast" by trying to find "Canada's Smartest Person" and of course what kind of self respecting CBC decade would it be without yet another rendition of Anne of Green Gables.

I think the only way the CBC TV will maintain any relevance is if it sways more towards a PBS platform with extras such as sports. Save a fortune and ditch every local newscast in the country and simply run the National. This would save a king's ransom for a service that is already provided 24/7 including the CBC. Local news can be covered by local private TV stations which nearly universally in English Canada get the higher ratings anyway.

I would like a commercial free CBC with nearly total or all Canadian content but not without a major overhaul of what the CBC and what it sees as it's future and if that means more renditions of Canada's Smartest Person, then they shouldn't get a cent.

Millions of Canadians willingly already pay for quality programming as exemplified by BC's Knowledge Network, Ontario's TVO, and even sending money to the US via PBS. The fact that hundreds of thousands of Canadians are willing to send their money out of country for decent programming says a lot about both the need and how little they feel they get from our national broadcaster.
CBC local news may not be important for British Columbia, but it's a much more vital service in some markets where private broadcasters are lacking - particularly in Atlantic Canada. In New Brunswick and PEI, they are the only locally based TV broadcaster with news aimed at the province they are in; neither Global or CTV have a station in PEI and those broadcasters have a limited presence in New Brunswick. Ratings for the local CBC news in PEI are very high, I've read.

There are also several markets where CBC has only one TV competitor: Newfoundland and Ottawa in particular. Ottawa, shockingly for its size, has only one English private TV outlet, CTV's CJOH. I have heard that that station is very poorly staffed nowadays on the journalism side of things. Global has no local presence in that city, though they have a bureau for Global National since it's the national capital.

People in markets like Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton understandably do not understand the importance of CBC TV's local presence in other parts of Canada, where there is far less private competition. The private broadcasters here do not cover English Canada the way they cover Toronto and Vancouver.

If anything, CBC needs to do more for local English television. They have no presence in mid-sized, poorly served markets such as London and Northern Ontario. The London area, which including surrounding counties has a population of close to 1 million, gets a token CTV Two newscast. That's it.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 10:51 PM
recession proof

Radio 1 - English
Radio 2 - French
Radio 3 - Punjabi
Radio 4 - Mandarin
Radio 5 - Tagalog
Radio 6 - Spanish
Radio 7 - everyone else

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 11:05 PM

You forgot the service in indigenous languages, which is in fact a part of the CBC's mandate and something they do a fairly good job in large parts of the country.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:08 AM

Wanted to bring this thread back...……….

I have seen the CBC line-up and the more I look, the more I want to puke. CBC tots Schitt`s Creek as a success but for whom? CBC is suppose to tell Canadian stories and help Canadians connect to one another so how does SC do that? The show has literally gone out of it`s way to conceal where the town is suppose to be }aka somewhere in The States} lest it not be as positively viewed internationally. The CBC seems to go out of its way in much of it`s entertainment programming to pretend to be in the US. Canadians a generation ago were always accused of doing nothing but watching American TV and now it seems we still are except now it`s paid for by Canadian taxpayers via the CBC.

I use to enjoy the National but now they have managed to even screw that up. I enjoy CBC Newsworld a lot and CBC Radio but for english language TV I am starting to think it`s time to scrap the whole damn thing because most of it is irrelevant to Canadians and seems to be more of a make-work project than anything else.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:33 PM

The CBC is what has helped create and unite this country. Its been our voice through Wars, and natural disasters. It has been a beacon whenever Canadians have participated in sporting events. It brought a third of Canadians together to celebrate in the life of one of our most treasured artists. People watched and they listened. In some of the most remote parts of the planet we were all connected. From coast to coast to coast. It’s an historic institution that should be respected and protected. Schitts Creek, Burden of Truth, and Anne with an E, are all broadcast in multiple countries outside of Canada and they are all fantastic programs. I applaud them for all three of these shows. In Winnipeg CBC Radio 1 is number one, and it deserves to be. Great local cast, fantastic national one. The CBC connects us all, its harder to see its importance in the middle of the big city but if you live in Thompson, Lynn lake, Churchill, Yellowknife, rankin inlet, and Iqaluit. It is important. Rural communities deserve weather and farm and fishing reports too as well as updates on events and issues in their local communities. its our responsibility to make sure this continues. Please don’t ever vote to destroy our national voice. A private media company will never be willing or able to fill its shoes.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I'd increase funding for both Radio-Canada and the CBC. Like I would for PBS if I were American. Likewise for Via Rail and Amtrack.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
The CBC is what has helped create and unite this country. Its been our voice through Wars, and natural disasters. It has been a beacon whenever Canadians have participated in sporting events. It brought a third of Canadians together to celebrate in the life of one of our most treasured artists. People watched and they listened. In some of the most remote parts of the planet we were all connected. From coast to coast to coast. It’s an historic institution that should be respected and protected. Schitts Creek, Burden of Truth, and Anne with an E, are all broadcast in multiple countries outside of Canada and they are all fantastic programs. I applaud them for all three of these shows. In Winnipeg CBC Radio 1 is number one, and it deserves to be. Great local cast, fantastic national one. The CBC connects us all, its harder to see its importance in the middle of the big city but if you live in Thompson, Lynn lake, Churchill, Yellowknife, rankin inlet, and Iqaluit. It is important. Rural communities deserve weather and farm and fishing reports too as well as updates on events and issues in their local communities. its our responsibility to make sure this continues. Please don’t ever vote to destroy our national voice. A private media company will never be willing or able to fill its shoes.
Those are the two key words IMO. CBC filled a need at one point, but times have changed and are still changing. I'm fine with CBC radio continuing on, but couldn't care less about CBC TV. I can't speak for places like Rankin Inlet, but I know even in the many of the rural areas (like the norther Ontario town where my sister lives) people don't watch it anymore. Everybody has satellite TV and internet, and Netflix is more popular than ever. For better or worse that's the way things are. Let CBC stand on its own with out funding and they can still keep their mandate of a united Canada, but it can't stand on its own because it's not what people are interested in.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:38 PM

Schitt's Creek is a guilty pleasure. After a shaky start, it has evolved into something quite entertaining. The first episodes of the new season have been, imo, a bit weak however and I'm wondering if it's running out of steam.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:42 PM
sick transit, gloria

Strangely enough I feel like I know more people who currently watch shows on CBC than there have been in recent memory. We don't have cable and don't pick up signal over air so I never really watch, but Schitt's Creek, Murdoch Mysteries and Kim's Convenience seem relatively popular here.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:50 PM

It's not so much the quality of CBC, it's the quality of CBC programming relative to its peers.

The current crop of CBC drama/comedies are much better than they were 5-10 years ago (Mr. D, Heartland, Little Mosque on the Prairie), but the bar has risen really high for what qualifies as "good TV".

CBC also needs to have more intelligent current affairs/events podcasts. With its limited funding, NPR has been doing a fantastic job on this front.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Strangely enough I feel like I know more people who currently watch shows on CBC than there have been in recent memory. We don't have cable and don't pick up signal over air so I never really watch, but Schitt's Creek, Murdoch Mysteries and Kim's Convenience seem relatively popular here.
I find that CBC's entertainment programming has improved considerably over the past few years. Baroness von Sketch has some terrific stuff. I haven't seen Cavendish yet, but hope that it's better than Little Dog, which I found unwatchable. Also haven't yet seen Coroner, the commercials for which are a bit weird. Not sure what to think about the fact that they're bringing back Street Legal.

One program that they need to cancel already is This Hour has 22 Minutes. It has been beyond stale for years now.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

We'd be a great sewer and pavement and flu shot country without the CBC/Radio-Canada, but is that really what we want?

To me at least, a country is more than just bricks, mortar, rocks, trees and very basic public services. I agree there needs to be a balance and some needs are more critical than others, but geez...

OTOH there needs to be some major retooling of some of the CBC's services - on that I won't disagree. CBC English TV in particular has consistently failed for decades in providing fictional (comedy, drama) and variety programming that the country's anglophone population actually wants to watch.

BTW you could have a revolution complete with guillotines and such here in Quebec if you dared touch any of Radio-Canada's services. And this includes the mainstream generalist TV network.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:06 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I find that CBC's entertainment programming has improved considerably over the past few years. Baroness von Sketch has some terrific stuff. I haven't seen Cavendish yet, but hope that it's better than Little Dog, which I found unwatchable. Also haven't yet seen Coroner, the commercials for which are a bit weird. Not sure what to think about the fact that they're bringing back Street Legal.

One program that they need to cancel already is This Hour has 22 Minutes. It has been beyond stale for years now.

Oh yes I forgot about Baroness - I've seen some clips and it seems really quite good.

Agreed completely about This Hour has 22 Minutes, it stopped being funny many years ago. Just cringey at this point.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We'd be a great sewer and pavement and flu shot country without the CBC/Radio-Canada, but is that really what we want?

To me at least, a country is more than just bricks, mortar, rocks, trees and very basic public services. I agree there needs to be a balance and some needs are more critical than others, but geez...

OTOH there needs to be some major retooling of some of the CBC's services - on that I won't disagree. CBC English TV in particular has consistently failed for decades in providing fictional (comedy, drama) and variety programming that the country's anglophone population actually wants to watch.

BTW you could have a revolution complete with guillotines and such here in Quebec if you dared touch any of Radio-Canada's services. And this includes the mainstream generalist TV network.
True, but it's also where the greatest need for reform is apparent, especially wrt news and public affairs programming.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
True, but it's also where the greatest need for reform is apparent, especially wrt news and public affairs programming.
You think news and public affairs programming is sub-standard at Radio-Canada TV?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada