HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Crane Chinatown in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 3:17 PM

This woulkd be a big improvement and is not bad at all IMHO

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 6:07 PM

I asked for an update, and a representative with the Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corp said this via email -

"Thank you for your concern. We are looking to break ground before the end of the year. Stay tuned!"

.....The wait continues.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I just want to know when its going to start.
Yeah, I bet if you charted this project and graphed out the "press releases" or PCDC "updates" I'd bet you'd see a fairly cyclical flow for the past 10 years. There's always a new reason to update us - more grant money, redesign, new partner, redesign, new functionality, slight redesign, more grant money, etc.

Is there a little Sam Hinkie in this plan - so long as this process is unfolding the leadership can guarantee employment?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 6:49 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Yeah, I bet if you charted this project and graphed out the "press releases" or PCDC "updates" I'd bet you'd see a fairly cyclical flow for the past 10 years. There's always a new reason to update us - more grant money, redesign, new partner, redesign, new functionality, slight redesign, more grant money, etc.

Is there a little Sam Hinkie in this plan - so long as this process is unfolding the leadership can guarantee employment?
It's like getting stuff done without actually getting stuff done...LOL.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 1:32 AM

Signage is up on the site with the new renderings. Otherwise, nothing going on. Didn't grad a pic since I was driving by and didn't have the chance to stop.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 5:51 PM

An extra year of fundraising has Chinatown's eastern tower poised for construction

Quote:
About a year ago, we looked in on Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation’s (PCDC) planned Eastern Tower, a 20-story mixed-use residential/retail/community services building at the northwest corner of 10th and Vine Streets. (Yup, that's in the heart of our next On the Ground neighborhood.) This was just after the organization had nabbed a $3.7 million Pennsylvania Economic Initiative grant, which PCDC Capacity and Projects Manager Sarah Yeung says helped to kick off some excellent financial and community momentum for the development.

"We had initially thought that we wanted to break ground in the beginning of [2015], but we actually spent the bulk of this year strengthening our position financially," explains Yeung. The last several months have brought significant contributions from PECO and Comcast, as major public and private funders took notice of the project’s traction.

After funding from the William Penn Foundation allowed the nonprofit PCDC to set up a regional center for project investors, the foundation gave an additional grant of $700,000 towards outfitting the community center portion of the building, which brought foundation gifts to a total of $900,000 in just the last quarter. The Philadelphia Suns -- who will be the primary users of the Eastern Tower community center -- raised $15,000 at their latest banquet. The CDC also received a $500,000 grant from the Commerce Department late last year.

All in all, the projected budget for the new center now stands at $77 million.

Eastern Tower has been a long time coming. The vision for the massive new Vine Street hub got started in 2004. Fundraising started in earnest in 2011. The complex (from the architects at Studio Agoos Lovera) aims to house the city’s most diverse range of community offerings under one roof: residential units, a daycare center, a community center, a pharmacy, a restaurant, a doctor’s office and more.

"From an outsider’s perspective, it looks like we threw the kitchen sink in, but this is a very strategic project for us," says Yeung of targeting much-needed services in the area. "It’s about equitable development in Chinatown North/Callowhill," a neighborhood with plenty of private development bumping up against ongoing issues of poverty, blight and lack of services for the local immigrant community.

Yeung says final closing on all the project’s financing will be accomplished by next month, and the contract for construction manager Hunter Roberts is ready to go. Funding is at 100 percent and construction should commence early next year.

"We’re as ready as can be," she enthuses. "We can’t be more ready. It’s a really exciting time for us. It’s been a long process and a huge team effort...on a city level, it’s going to be quite a significant project."
http://www.flyingkitemedia.com/devne...wer111015.aspx

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 6:00 PM
BANNED

finally.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
An extra year of fundraising has Chinatown's eastern tower poised for construction

http://www.flyingkitemedia.com/devne...wer111015.aspx
Great news. This project's importance has been really underrated since the new, less aesthetically pleasing renderings came out.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 10:35 PM
Philly Rising Up!

I'm still skeptical until equipment is onsite and there's a big hole in the ground. Looks like they didn't have all the money up until recently if reading between the lines.

"We had initially thought that we wanted to break ground in the beginning of [2015], but we actually spent the bulk of this year strengthening our position financially," explains Yeung.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 3:02 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

I think they should wait one more year and get the initial renderings back.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Yeung says final closing on all the project’s financing will be accomplished by next month, and the contract for construction manager Hunter Roberts is ready to go. Funding is at 100 percent and construction should commence early next year.
I know enough to know that a deal's not closed until it's closed.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
I think they should wait one more year and get the initial renderings back.
I'd agree that the current rendering is unacceptable if not for the fact that this is a community center and low-income rentals. It's not high-end by any means.

It's when developers propose "luxury" condos/apartments and then skimp on the design/materials that drives me insane. This is the opposite and I'm okay with it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 7:46 PM

Chinatown’s Eastern Tower Gets Groundbreaking Pushed to 2016 (Renderings)

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...n/#gallery-2-2

The renderings posted here appear to be the original design...are they going back to that?

Also: "Ground up new construction 23 story luxury high rise."

"Mixed-use tower with 17,000 SF rec center and event space, 3 floors of office space and 143 high-end residential units."

"Q1 2017 delivery."

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...n/#gallery-2-2

The renderings posted here appear to be the original design...are they going back to that?

Also: "Ground up new construction 23 story luxury high rise."

"Mixed-use tower with 17,000 SF rec center and event space, 3 floors of office space and 143 high-end residential units."

"Q1 2017 delivery."
They might! Remember 205 Race? They went back to the original renderings after everything was finally pproved!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 12:46 AM

Nothing new to report - just wish this got built, the area is taking off.

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 12:48 AM

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed! Would be a great addition to an up-and-coming neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:03 PM

Quote:
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed! Would be a great addition to an up-and-coming neighborhood.
I'd be interested to learn when this proposal was first discussed. It's gotta be around 10 years now. I think it's just pie-in-the-sky, a big project to justify the CDC's existence and perpetuate its leadership...nothing more.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:30 PM

Quote:
I'd be interested to learn when this proposal was first discussed. It's gotta be around 10 years now. I think it's just pie-in-the-sky, a big project to justify the CDC's existence and perpetuate its leadership...nothing more.
Seems like it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Sounds like someone who has no idea just how much the CDC does for that neighborhood. Their existence is long past justified, IMO. They were crucial in getting Francis House of Peace off the ground, for example.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 11:41 PM

From Center City District Report:

EASTERN TOWER COMMUNITY CENTER

DEVELOPER:
Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation
(PCDC) and JNA Capital, Inc.

SIZE:
195,000 sf

RESIDENTIAL UNITS:

START DATE:
Spring 2016

COMPLETION DATE:

Announced

INVESTMENT:
$76 Million

DESCRIPTION:
PCDC has helped form an immigrant investor Regional Center that will raise $33 million to fund its Eastern Tower
Community Center in Chinatown. The Regional Center is part
of the EB-5 program. Administered through the United States
Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the program is
designed to attract foreign investment in projects that promote
economic growth and job creation. The remainder of the funding
for the 23-story, mixed-use development consists of $23 million
in New Market Tax Credits and a loan commitment from Citibank, as well as a combination of private equity and grants. The
project will include 150 apartments, offices, and retail space, as
well as a recreation/event space for the community.

http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/...pments2016.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive