HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 11:27 PM

Going back to Target. Anyone think Sears might pick up some of the less pristegious, 2nd tier mall locations? I could see Sears trying to get in at places like Cloverdale in Etobicoke, and Billings Bridge in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 12:57 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Is Sears really in a position of taking on anything new? I thought it was struggling just to maintain what it already has...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 12:59 AM
gettin' rich!

Walmart, Costco, Canadian Tire and the Grocers will pick and chose those Target locations they want the most.

Sears is offering jobs to laid off Target employees though.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 1:16 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
Funny I picked up a bottle of Piná when I was visiting family, I noticed on the bottle it was Hencho En Canadá. I though it was a bit strange as i do not know of it being sold here.... perhaps it is this that it was referencing.
The pineapple crush is pretty common in NS too but it might be brought in from Newfoundland. You can get Purity biscuits and other stuff in normal groceries stores, and then there are a couple of "Newfoundland" stores that carry cod tongues, seal flippers, and whatever else (I think some of the traditional foods have remained regional for a reason).

It's a bit strange when you don't realize what is common everywhere and what's unique to wherever you're from. I remember being really puzzled when I couldn't find some stuff after I moved here. Other foods occupy different ranges of the market in different parts of the country; the wholesale lobster price in NS for example was recent $3/pound.

Here's a Newfoundland-themed store in North End Halifax. I guess it's even on topic for this thread:

Source

Last edited by someone123; Jan 18, 2015 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Is Sears really in a position of taking on anything new? I thought it was struggling just to maintain what it already has...
Perhaps they're jockying for a run at taking over the void left by Target/Zellers, or at least certain aspects of it, and trying to be #2 after Walmart. The loss of "the other" big retailer kind of changes the landscape. Sears was struggling, maybe this is their chance to make some noise and roll out a new format or just do something other than 40,000 sq.ft of clothing with a side of a bunch of beds and lawnmowers.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 3:44 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
An identity based on low-end chain retail is kind of pathetic.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 3:47 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Sears is finished. Everyone seems to know that except Sears. They are kaput.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
They've repositioned themselves, and have started to cater to the less urban, les expensive locations. Many of those old Zellers/Target locations would fit the bill.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 6:41 AM

I fail to see how Walmarts in the US are soooo much better than those in Canada. 24 hours is certainly the biggest benefit. But otherwise? Do Vancouver folks really think the Walmart in Bellingham is better than the one in Morgan Crossing? Really?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 9:02 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
They've repositioned themselves, and have started to cater to the less urban, les expensive locations. Many of those old Zellers/Target locations would fit the bill.
Sears hasn't done any such thing yet.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
They haven't done anything yet as far as I know, and they're definitely going down unless they role the dice and take a shot at something different.

Right now is as good a chance as they're ever going to get to take a run at survival.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 4:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
Right now is as good a chance as they're ever going to get to take a run at survival.
Indeed. This is Sears last and greatest chance at coming up with a survival strategy in Canada.

A lot of the people who patronized Target hate Wal-mart with a passion. Personally, I go to a Wal-mart maybe 2-3 times a year and pride myself on spending less than $100/year at that particular American icon of trashy merchandise.

I think Sears should abandon the downtowns (which they have largely done anyway), and should seek their future as a mid range retailer for the suburbs and the small towns of Canada. There is an opportunity for them there, especially with the demise of Target. The 50% of Canadians who don't live in our 10 largest cities need and deserve an alternative to the Wal-mart behemoth.

If executed correctly, there could be a future for Sears. This will be an important year for them. They are at the tipping point. If they can't take advantage of this opportunity then they will be gone too.........

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 4:28 PM

^ Count me as a Walmart hater. Haven't been in that place in years. Would love a legit alternative since Zellers closed (we never got a Target).

Cobourg has a small to mid sized Sears in the mall but I never set foot in it either. They definitely need to reinvent themselves. Their offering here is appliances, a wide selection of shitty overpriced clothes, towels and perfume.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I think Seas is going in that direction. It may not be a deliberate plan but as a result of downsizing the parts of the operations that are not viable.

In Vancouver they have pulled out of the downtown. I get the impression across the country they are leaving the Urban market. That leaves them with the Suburban locations and the network of Sears franchises in small towns across the country that primarily are depots for mail order and internet sales.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I think Seas is going in that direction. It may not be a deliberate plan but as a result of downsizing the parts of the operations that are not viable.

In Vancouver they have pulled out of the downtown. I get the impression across the country they are leaving the Urban market. That leaves them with the Suburban locations and the network of Sears franchises in small towns across the country that primarily are depots for mail order and internet sales.
Sears took over some downtown Eatons, unsuccessfully, but basically it has always been a suburban/shopping mall kind of store, no?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Sears took over some downtown Eatons, unsuccessfully, but basically it has always been a suburban/shopping mall kind of store, no?
Many of the downtown stores pre-date the takeover of Eaton's.

In Vancouver after the Eatons takeover they shifted from Hasting into Pacific Centre (a few block) The Hasting location was there going back decades, a few blocks away from the Woodwards flagship store. They have now closed down the Pacific Centre store and Nordstrom is moving in. A retreat back to suburbia.

In Saskatoon, the only "full" Sears in the city is downtown.

Not certain about other cities, but I get the impression they tried to make the Eaton's stores work and then slowly left back to suburbia.

They still have this massive network of independent pickup depots in small towns across Canada for catalogue items. Some stock major appliances other stock clock. I think they have a better understanding of how to serve rural and small town Canada than say the Bay or Wallmart. In the west there are two others national companies that understand small town Canada Field's and the North West Co. (Northern).

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I fail to see how Walmarts in the US are soooo much better than those in Canada. 24 hours is certainly the biggest benefit. But otherwise? Do Vancouver folks really think the Walmart in Bellingham is better than the one in Morgan Crossing? Really?
Walmart has experimented with 24 hour stores in Canada, but the traffic during the night hours didn't seem to justify opening, even though that is when a lot of stocking and shelving takes place.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 1:23 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I thought the Walmarts here were still 24 hours but I checked and they're not.

The three in St. John's are 7 a.m. - 11 p.m., seven days a week. And the one in Mount Pearl is 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 1:31 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Until 1972 Sears was effectively banished to the suburbs by their non-compete agreement with Simpsons and didn't open their first downtown store until 1976 and it wasn't until 1978 that the federal government shut down their arrangement with Simpsons as anti-competitive after HBC bought Simpsons.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I thought the Walmarts here were still 24 hours but I checked and they're not.

The three in St. John's are 7 a.m. - 11 p.m., seven days a week. And the one in Mount Pearl is 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.
The one on Kelsey was 24 hours for a very brief period many years ago, but the excessive amount of shoplifting put a very quick end of that. People were able to walk out of there with big ticket items due to a combination of less staff, relaxed security, and cashier negligence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada