HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 9:46 PM

^ Nice pic with Roy Rana looking on

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 11:09 PM

Shit I missed this as I went to the Street Machine Weekend show n shine and forgot about the game! Nevertheless congrats to them. Things looking good for the 2020 Olympics.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 3:31 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
Shit I missed this as I went to the Street Machine Weekend show n shine and forgot about the game! Nevertheless congrats to them. Things looking good for the 2020 Olympics.
The video is available on the FIBA site. Just go to Events, U-19 Boys, then Videos. The USA game was more entertaining than the Italy but it's so historic for Canadian basketball they're both worth a re-watch. The key, as Danilo Djuricic mentioned, is to keep it going through out the age groups.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 12:36 PM

Canada v Italy Final FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup 2017

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 6:38 PM

Canada killed Italy.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The video is available on the FIBA site. Just go to Events, U-19 Boys, then Videos. The USA game was more entertaining than the Italy but it's so historic for Canadian basketball they're both worth a re-watch. The key, as Danilo Djuricic mentioned, is to keep it going through out the age groups.
Thanks I caught the USA game yesterday and just stumbled across the Italy game on TSN2 last night. Happy to see that Canada did not suffer a letdown after beating the US.

On a side note, Yahoo reports that this is the first time Canada has won a gold medal in basketball. They might want to check with the 1983 Universiade mens' team on that.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 2:33 AM
The New Republic

^^ Quite right. More accurately, this is the first gold at any age group/gender at a FIBA tournament or Olympics. This was a far more significant win than that Universiade win though. Lots of top talent skip the Universiade. That can't be said for this tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Canada killed Italy.
And it looked like they turned off the jets early in the 3rd quarter.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 2:49 AM
The New Republic

More bright Canadian prospects but this time on the women's side.

Quote:
Slam-dunking teen makes Canadian basketball history

Canada has a rising star in basketball and she’s only 16-years-old. Laeticia Amihere stunned spectators at a tournament in Virginia in April, when she made history as the first Canadian female to slam dunk during a game. “I just thought, this is a great opportunity to try it out,” recalled the Ontario teenager, who is 6’4” and growing.

Eric Bulthuis, her coach at King’s Christian Collegiate in Oakville, Ont., says Amihere’s combination of “length and athletic ability is extremely unique and something that you don't see in the women's game very much." That rare combination has helped her inch up to second place in ESPN’s ranking. Basketball Canada has noticed too. She’s been on Team Canada for two seasons, as it climbed to sixth place globally.

Mike MacKay, Basketball Canada Women's High Performance Manager, says Amihere has “worked to get better at jumping … to get better at using her length, to be more disruptive." “To be honest, it puts us on the podium,” he said. “That's the goal … to get us on the podium where we belong."
Article: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/everyon...tory-1.3495782

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:35 PM

The US came in third! This is a huge win for our young Canadian talent.

Source: http://www.fiba.com

Our team is from across Canada as well which is nice. Hopefully we can get a few on the Raptors soon.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
^^ Quite right. More accurately, this is the first gold at any age group/gender at a FIBA tournament or Olympics. This was a far more significant win than that Universiade win though. Lots of top talent skip the Universiade. That can't be said for this tournament.
I hope you're right, and that this isn't another case of false hope. Canada expected to win a bronze in Montreal in 1976, but fell back. After 1983, it was believed that Canada had turned the corner after beating a US team that had Charles Barkley and Karl Malone, but the program again fell back. Again, in the 2000 Olympics with Steve Nash, Canada hoped to medal, but again fell. Once again, after the 2015 Pan Ams, Canada expected to do well in the 2016 Olympics but didn't even qualify.

Not really disagreeing with you, I'm cautiously optimistic for our chances in 2020, but many of us have gotten our hopes up before, only to have them dashed. The talent is definitely there, hopefully the organization and coaching is up to the challenge.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 2:58 AM

Quote:
The US came in third! This is a huge win for our young Canadian talent.

Source: http://www.fiba.com

Hopefully we can get a few on the Raptors soon.
Just heard that the Raptors are trading Corey Joseph to the Pacers. I'm not impressed. Van Vliet will be the biggest beneficiary of this, and I don't believe he's anywhere near ready to be Lowry's prime backup. As well, the Raptors were better with Joseph at PG when Lowry was out.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 1:09 PM
The New Republic

Quote:

Our team is from across Canada as well which is nice. Hopefully we can get a few on the Raptors soon.
If Canada is to reach its potential it can't just be Ontario doing all the heavy lifting. I know I go on about how basketball has long been a big part of the sporting culture in Nova Scotia but up until recently they've never produced players that can go toe to toe with players elsewhere. It's nice seeing 2 players from Nova Scotia on that team. Darling and Wigginton were great. I'm not sure if Darling can make it to the NBA but Wigginton could. He'd be the first ever from that province if he does it.

BC and Quebec seem to be coming on strong too.

Nova Scotia representing. Wigginton on the left, Darling on the right.

Courtesy of pbs

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
And here's one who started in the AUS

Canadian coach turning heads in NBA circles
Donnovan Bennett Sportsnet.ca July 16 2015

Scott Morrison is not supposed to be here, in a room filled with Hall of Famers and millionaire athletes. Morrison is supposed to be watching them from home, not making Las Vegas his residence for the next two weeks while they watch him. Yet, somehow, Morrison beat the odds. That’s because he didn’t believe that a kid from Morell, PEI isn’t supposed to amount to much in the game of basketball.

Morrison is currently coaching the NBA Developmental League select team at the NBA’s Summer League. It’s an honour that was bestowed on him as a reward for being named the NBADL’s Coach of the Year. For Morrison it’s been a long road but quick ascension. And it’s no coincidence he’s showcasing his talents in Vegas, because Morrison has been betting on himself for years.

After a playing career at UPEI that saw him hit an AUS-record 220 three pointers in his career, the coaching bug that had been passed on by his father, himself a long-time coach at UPEI, bit Morrison.

In 2002 Morrison took over coaching duties with the Dalhousie Tigers women’s team. His dad, George, was a fine coach at UPEI in his own right, leading the Panthers to three conference titles in the 1980s. Morrison could have been fine just to follow his father’s legacy but instead he followed his heart and ventured to Thunder Bay to turn around the Lakehead program. With little money, exposure, and talent in the local area it wasn’t an attractive job to start. When he was hired, Lakehead was the worst team in the country. When he left they had reached four consecutive national tournaments, all while building a basketball culture that made “the thunder dome” one of the toughest places to play in he country.

Yet desperate for professional development he bet on himself again and took a sabbatical from his job at Lakehead to help out with D-League’s Maine Red Claws, an affiliate of the Boston Celtics. He assumed it would lead to a pro opportunity in the future and that he’d head back to Lakehead better for the experience. As fate would have it, the existing coach, Mike Taylor, was fired and Morrison’s all-hands-on-deck attitude led management to believe he was the right man to trust with the Celtics future prospects.

In just his first year in the NBADL, Morrison led the Red Claws to the best record in their conference and earned a coaching spot in the league’s all-star game, which takes place in conjunction with the NBA all-star game.

Despite all the success, Morrison knows he hasn’t hit the jackpot yet. “Although I’m close to the NBA,” he says, “I still feel I’m far away and have a lot to learn. It’s just that under dog mentality that I get from the Island. But I do ask myself ‘Why not?’ Work hard and shoot for the stars”.

His aspirations in the game are large, stating that his two goals are to coach in the NBA, and for Canada at the Olympics. “Even when I’m working with the junior national team, I get a sense of pride when I pull that maple leaf on my chest. It means as much to me— if not more— than anything I’m doing [at Summer League]. In fact everything I’m doing here I’m trying to represent Canada.”

With the Red Claws last season, Morrison commanded the respect of NBA-level talent like Canadian Dwight Powell and Celtics 2014 first-round pick James Young. Here at Summer League he’s getting it from former 2nd overall pick Hasheem Thabeet and Taylor Griffin, brother of Blake, and a former standout at Oklahoma. Despite his passport and distinct Island accent, the affable Morrison’s communicates with his players effectively thanks to his passion and dry, self-deprecating wit.

After the NBADL season wraps Morrison heads to Boston, taking up a desk among the organizations’ analytics staff, helping out where he can with scouting. There is no offseason for the maniacal preparer. “Every year I want to study something,” says Morrison. “Whether its paint touches, to three’s and how they are created, to how best to defend the pick and roll. Every year I want to dial down and really study something.”

Although he didn’t have Steve Nash to look to like this generation’s great players did, he had have Jay Triano. It was a figure Morrison could point to and ask himself “If him, why not me?” at the sight of Triano on an NBA bench. The goal is to get NBA evaluators to themselves the same question. Why not Morrison?

Which is what makes summer league so unique: Not only is it a proving ground for the players, but the coaches are being scouted and evaluated, too. And so far Morrison has impressed; his group of D-League select players enter the 24-team tournament as a six-seed.

All Morrison wants is a chance. He gambled to get here, and it’s paid off. Yet it’s the dues he paid during him time in Morel, Halifax, and Thunder Bay that are getting him paid now. His story offers a stark reminder that in the dog eat dog world of pros sports the smart play is betting on yourself. With the amount of heads he’s turning at the Las Vegas summer league Morrison is already getting a return on his investment.

“Success breeds success,” Morrison says. “Canada has great coaches—not just great players. As the players have success people down south will start to wonder who are training these guys. As guys like me have success hopefully I can help inspire the guys coming up behind me. If we keep knocking on the door we can break it down together”.
As of June 21 2017, now an assistant with the Boston Celtics as well as the Canadian senior men's team.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 10:09 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
I hope you're right, and that this isn't another case of false hope. Canada expected to win a bronze in Montreal in 1976, but fell back. After 1983, it was believed that Canada had turned the corner after beating a US team that had Charles Barkley and Karl Malone, but the program again fell back. Again, in the 2000 Olympics with Steve Nash, Canada hoped to medal, but again fell. Once again, after the 2015 Pan Ams, Canada expected to do well in the 2016 Olympics but didn't even qualify.

Not really disagreeing with you, I'm cautiously optimistic for our chances in 2020, but many of us have gotten our hopes up before, only to have them dashed. The talent is definitely there, hopefully the organization and coaching is up to the challenge.
You echo how most Canadian basketball fans feel. Everything seems to be in place for us to break through but it's still just one win in a long line of heavy losses to the Americans.

We got obliterated by the US 111-60 in the FIBA Americas U16 Final June 18th. This isn't going to work unless the next crop of kids are competitive, and the age group players that come up after that. That 111-60 score was disheartening. Being 2nd best in the Americas doesn't mean much if the talent gap between silver and gold is large.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 6:29 PM
The New Republic

FIBA U19 World Cup: Canada defeats Japan for bronze

Courtesy of FIBA

Canada defeated Japan 67-60 to win its first ever medal at the FIBA U19 World Cup. Their only loss came yesterday in the Semi-Final, losing to Russia. Russia and the USA will play for gold later today. It's a rematch of the last World Cup final in 2015 which the USA won.

Congratulations girls! You played with the belief that you could win every game and it showed. This will do wonders for women's basketball in this country. Next time around in 2019, lets go for gold.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 6:53 PM

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 9:54 PM

^Strange looking arenas they have.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 2:23 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
^Strange looking arenas they have.
I thought the same. I suspect they were built for handball and/or volleyball.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 10:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I thought the same. I suspect they were built for handball and/or volleyball.
Apparently the main tenant of that building in Udine is basketball.

It is indeed weird. I don't see the need for an oval/circular seating setup given that most indoor sports are rectangular (basketball, volleyball, handball, ice hockey).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:15 PM
The New Republic

Likely yet another arena/stadium designed by people who don't actually watch sports, or the sport they're designing for. Rumour has it that the lead designer of Skydome had never been to a football game before. It's no surprise that it never worked for that sport. The gradient of the lower bowl is so slight you can't follow the play. Some seats you can't see the corner of the end zones.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada