HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 1:58 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 2:15 PM
Euroscraper

What i find so fascinating about the memorial is the fact its just as perfetct as in the early renderings, if not better.

And look at those reflections in the pools.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 10:38 PM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
If that's the case, it's first time in its history that it's done that. Before the memorial's opening, that cam was glued in the same position.
For the past few weeks, during the day it points up at the sky, and at night it's in the regular position showing the memorial.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 2:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioFX View Post
What i find so fascinating about the memorial is the fact its just as perfetct as in the early renderings, if not better.
I'm hoping those trees are covered with snow by the time I make an official visit, if I don't do so sooner.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 2:16 AM
Bionic Boogie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmGThsqnha8" target="_blank">Video Link
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 2:49 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Here are some pics I took on my visit to the Memorial on Friday. It was a great and moving experience. It is a must do if you are in NYC. I will also be posting more pics in the related threads as well over the next day or so.

An interesting thing happened to me when I started to take pictures of the vent structures. I was detained by security and the NYPD. Once I explained my knowledge of the structures and my purpose for taking the photos (to share them with you all here at SSP) and not just taking pictures of the security cameras I was free to take more. They were very courteous and understanding.

Enjoy!

Preview Center

911 Memorial Entrance

911 Memorial

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 3:00 PM

Out of all the times i've been to ground zero, this is the first time I've been to The World Financial Centre.... gotta say, it was amazing. crowds of people, people sharing stories, etc... It's hard to describe what you see from the windows though... you're in complete awe. a lot of emotion down there.
"this is where it all went down"

Windows at The World Financial Centre:

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a ticket to the Memorial Park, but I'll be sure to reserve one well in advance for my next visit.

some more:

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Great pictures, pnapp1. Thanks for sharing them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
There's been some discussion about the lamps before, and I've liked their profile from afar, but I've never seen them up close. Now I know what they're intended to look like: the former twins.

Quote:
I wonder why the PA chose to build these on the memorial site instead of building them across the street in Liberty Park. They look kind of cramped and out of place here.

Last edited by Don098; Oct 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 5:43 PM

I think the lamp stanchions pick up on the striations of the museum pavilion as well. Still not a fan of those vent structures though. The stainless steel finish makes them too noticeable, like they are an actual piece of architecture....which they should not be. They should disappear completely. It would have been better they slope the concrete more, and let ivy grow up the sides, so that they appear more as a berm then an actual structure.

But they are built, and the memorial overall looks great, so I can't complain.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 10:19 PM

Don, I would imagine at least part of the reason why they put those in the memorial is to drown out some of the noise, and visual effects of the West Side Highway, which is always very very busy and would take away from the serenity and sense of calm I think they're trying to achieve at the memorial. There's probably an actual reason which has to do with the site plan, layout and logistics and all that, but from a practical reason that was probably considered, and there isn't any space at all on the other side of the West Side Highway. Hope that helps.

And this page probably has the best collection of photos I've seen of this.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 10:25 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Great pictures, pnapp1. Thanks for sharing them!

There's been some discussion about the lamps before, and I've liked their profile from afar, but I've never seen them up close. Now I know what they're intended to look like: the former twins.

I wonder why the PA chose to build these on the memorial site instead of building them across the street in Liberty Park. They look kind of cramped and out of place here.
They where actually really nice looking for what they are. One thing they did well was hide West Street and the Traffic. Didn't notice it once. Considering their location, they actually blended in well I thought.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 10:29 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Don, I would imagine at least part of the reason why they put those in the memorial is to drown out some of the noise, and visual effects of the West Side Highway, which is always very very busy and would take away from the serenity and sense of calm I think they're trying to achieve at the memorial. There's probably an actual reason which has to do with the site plan, layout and logistics and all that, but from a practical reason that was probably considered, and there isn't any space at all on the other side of the West Side Highway. Hope that helps.

And this page probably has the best collection of photos I've seen of this.
I was actually typing my reply above without even seeing this post. You must have been reading my mind. They did exactly that.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 12:56 AM

Great pictures everyone, I dont think Ive seen a single picture that makes the memorial look bad. Looks great from every angle.

Quote:
An interesting thing happened to me when I started to take pictures of the vent structures. I was detained by security and the NYPD. Once I explained my knowledge of the structures and my purpose for taking the photos (to share them with you all here at SSP) and not just taking pictures of the security cameras I was free to take more.
Ah yes, nothing says "monument to freedom" like "detaining citizens for taking pictures".

What despot trains NYPD these days?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 1:31 AM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Ah yes, nothing says "monument to freedom" like "detaining citizens for taking pictures".

What despot trains NYPD these days?
It really wasn't that bad. I was just asked to step over to the corner and one of the security team kindly asked me what I was the reason I was photographing them. It was just one quick answer from me and my knowledge of what they were and I was aloud to continue. No big deal.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 1:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
some more:

The view there is always awesome, and will only be more so down the line...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 2:35 AM

IMG_3688.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3686.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3682.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3725.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3708.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3707.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3745.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3746.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3747.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3748.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3744.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3743.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3741.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3737.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3734.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3732.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3701.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

IMG_3704.JPG by denkmanttlb, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 1:30 PM
New Yorker for life

One of the sadder realizations about the memorial is that there are many victims to come...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...k_man_rev.html
Dying of cancer, Newark man revisits Ground Zero to pay final respects

Chaz Fudge, who is believed to have developed lung cancer from asbestos inhalation
during the 9/11 attacks, revisits Ground Zero Tuesday.

By Richard Khavkine
October 05, 2011

Quote:
Tuesday, inside the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, Fudge twice kneeled to the granite ground, overcome by emotion. In tones just above a whisper, he talked about the carnage, "the blood" and "the bodies."

Wearing a dark turtleneck, blue blazer and overcoat, Fudge walked to a corner of the South Pool, accompanied by Chaz III, now 21; Joe Daniels, president of the memorial foundation; and Thomas Rollerson, president of the California-based Dream Foundation, which paid for and facilitated Fudge’s trip.

Under cloudy skies, with the sun’s light occasionally refracting against glass towers again reaching skyward, Fudge peered into the waterfalls. Hand over hand, he ran his fingers along the names engraved on the southwest corner of the bronze parapet. He kissed them.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 3:20 PM

I can't even imagine all that the poor man has gone through. First the attack, then much of his family passes away.

I met a man this summer at the Millennium Hilton who was on his way to the planned Silverstein Properties meeting that morning and had just stepped off an elevator when the plane hit.

He moved to Las Vegas soon after the attack and this was his first time back to NYC - 10 years later. I don't blame him, nor can I imagine what it was like for these people.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 2:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
I can't even imagine all that the poor man has gone through. First the attack, then much of his family passes away.

I met a man this summer at the Millennium Hilton who was on his way to the planned Silverstein Properties meeting that morning and had just stepped off an elevator when the plane hit.
Silverstein himself was supposed to be at that meeting. There are also countless people who have or will become ill as a result of being in the vicinity on that day. I consider those people victims as well, even though the toll took years to manifest. There will be no memorial for these victims.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture