HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

View Poll Results: Which do you most want to see upscaled reincarnation / reinterpretation?
Ur Ziggurat 0 0%
Giza Pyramid 1 16.67%
Pyramid of the Sun 0 0%
Temple of Kukulkan 0 0%
Lihue Pagoda 0 0%
Shiva Shrine at Prambanan Temples 1 16.67%
Parthenon 0 0%
Caryatids of Erechtheion 1 16.67%
Colosseum 0 0%
Pantheon 0 0%
Hagia Sophia 1 16.67%
Borgund stave church 0 0%
Other 1 16.67%
Can't decide. 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:03 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Ancient Structure Most Worthy of Upscaled Reincarnation?

The question I would like to pose concerns which of the following ancient structural types would be worthiest of modern-day reincarnation (or reinterpretation) on a larger scale. Now, I don't care about their relative economics - only which of them you would find most awesome to see reiterated in a modern city, using whatever material, superficial, or internal changes you think would best suit it while keeping the same general shape.

If necessary, you can simply imagine it reinterpreted as a hollow structure with the interior used in whatever way you care to suggest. The point is the shape of the building, and perhaps (if you wish) the colors and textures of the external and/or external surfaces. So I am using structures that, if they are not totally unique, at least typify a form (e.g., ziggurats, Mayan temples, Egyptian pyramids, Greek, Roman, etc.)

Here we see the Great Ziggurat of Ur, in modern-day Iraq (Credit: Wikimedia Commons user "Hardnfast"):

The Great Giza Pyramid of Khufu (/Kheops) needs no introduction (Credit: Nina Aldin Thune):

Consider the Pyramid of The Sun at Teotihuacan (Credit: Michael Wassmer):

Here is the Temple of Kukulkan ("El Castillo") at Chichen Itza (Credit: Daniel Schwen):

The Lihue Pagoda of Hangzhou (Credit: Bob Brooks):

Shrine of Shiva at the Prambanan Temples in Yogyakarta, Indonesia (Credit: Wikimedia Commons user "Masgatotkaca"):

The Parthenon needs no introduction. I am aware there have already been recreations of this and derivative buildings throughout the world, but perhaps it could be done more faithfully, in worthier venues, bigger, etc. Public domain photo:

The Caryatids of the Erectheion (Porch of the Maidens) (Credit: Guillaume Poille):

There are just too many ancient Greek structures worthy of emulation, so I'll just leave it at that for the Hellenic period.

The Colosseum (Flavian Amphitheatre) (Credit: David Iliff, CC Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5):

The Pantheon (Credit: Ian Monroe):

That will do for the Roman Empire. Only a couple more:

Now, the Hagia Sophia (with or without minarets) (Credit: Milos Radevic):

And the Borgund stave church (Credit: "Eduardo")

The above are examples of styles that I agree with enough to go through the trouble of posting them, so there are plenty of possibilities I've overlooked - and, of course, there are plenty I simply don't know about. So, if the ancient structure you most want to see reincarnated or reinterpreted in a modern city is not listed here, feel free to choose "Other" in the poll and discuss your favored structure in comments along with a photo.

Or if your choice is in the list, then feel free to offer additional images to illustrate features, provide better angles, show other buildings that you feel are better cases of the same style, or just show that building more clearly or in a better light.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture