HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 9:17 PM
-

MSY North Terminal Photos

Also a few new stores at Canal Place coming like a new BCBG store, Tory Burch, Gstar Raw, and Louis Vuitton

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 6:08 PM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I had a dream!
Well I don't think we'll see any high-rises in the FQ except in dreams. I believe the height limit is 50'. Still it is surprising the owners of those lots haven't tried to build something.

There are plenty of other opportunities for highrises, but they are mostly on Canal and Poydras farther from the river or along Loyola Ave.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 12:15 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Well I don't think we'll see any high-rises in the FQ except in dreams. I believe the height limit is 50'. Still it is surprising the owners of those lots haven't tried to build something.

There are plenty of other opportunities for highrises, but they are mostly on Canal and Poydras farther from the river or along Loyola Ave.
Those lots, IMO are the biggest waisted space of real estate in the entire city, besides the ones next to the Hilton

Also are we getting a freestanding Louis Vuitton outside of Saks? If so thats big news

Last edited by jjslonaker; Jun 17, 2018 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 2:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Those lots, IMO are the biggest waisted space of real estate in the entire city, besides the ones next to the Hilton

Also are we getting a freestanding Louis Vuitton outside of Saks? If so thats big news
Yes the current BCBG space

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 2:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Minue the highrise portion the premise for those french quarter lots works

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 4:08 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yes the current BCBG space
That's great news, maybe some other high end brands will open up as well.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:53 AM

Found this map pretty interesting courtesy of The Advocate Newspaper.

Here is the attached article. http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...e44aca6f8.html

I think we'll see areas in Gentilly and Central City moving into higher value brackets by the next update in three years. Central City due to proximity to the CBD, and Gentilly due to more typical middle class lifestyle of single family homes with a yard. The small pocket of lower values in West Carrollton will probably be completely gentrified by then. New Orleans East and Algiers will probably be little changed given the lack of investment in those areas currently. Seventh and Ninth Wards will probably see values increase near St. Claude, but farther back toward the lake I don't see much changing in the next few years. Curious what y'all think.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I think we'll see areas in Gentilly and Central City moving into higher value brackets by the next update in three years. Central City due to proximity to the CBD, and Gentilly due to more typical middle class lifestyle of single family homes with a yard. The small pocket of lower values in West Carrollton will probably be completely gentrified by then. New Orleans East and Algiers will probably be little changed given the lack of investment in those areas currently. Seventh and Ninth Wards will probably see values increase near St. Claude, but farther back toward the lake I don't see much changing in the next few years. Curious what y'all think.
I do agree that Gentilly and Central City are on the way up. Part of it is a chicken and egg situation, people are looking there for better value, but once the population grows enough, there will be more amenities to attract a more selective crowd. I suppose the same can be said of the East, but that is a bit further off.

I do remember talk of targeting St. Bernard Ave for improvement as was done on Freret St. and OC Haley, so that would hopefully spur some development. I think the next area to target should be North Claiborne. The area is generally run down, but it is well positioned and has plenty of buildings to renovate and lots to build on. With a coordinated effort to rebuild infrastructure, add landscaping, and deal with blight, it could be a very nice area.

Article on the Convention Center Hotel
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...c6feb346a.html
Jaeger seems to have shot himself in the foot with his opposition to the Harrah's deal yet looking to benefit from major tax breaks. I have to say it does seem like a very generous deal. 10% down payment from convention center funds and tax breaks that essentially pay for the building leave a lot of room for profit. I don't mind so much if the Convention Center and LSED want to give up their portion, but state and city taxes should be off limits. More visitors means more strain on public safety, infrastructure, and transit and this project needs to contribute a fair share towards those efforts. A better trade off would be more money directly from the CC's coffers. I know it's a challenging location, but there are plenty of hotels being built around the city without so much subsidy. And by the way Jaeger and the Convention Center are the reason the area is not attractive for a hotel developer. If they had put in some apartments, retail and did something interesting with the power plant, I bet hotel developers would be a lot more interested in the deal.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:06 PM

Rite Aid on Louisiana

I went into the Rite-Aid on La & St. Charles yesterday and all the shelves were empty. The cashier told me they are closing and that today is their last day. Anybody know if there's plans for that building? It's kind of a dump for such a prominent corner. I'd love to see them tear it down and build something nicer there, maybe with some apartments above.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:13 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Minue the highrise portion the premise for those french quarter lots works
Is everyone here opposed to highrise development on those lots? It's not like we would lose anything historic.

I don't know if true highrises are right for that site but certainly we could/should have 15 story buildings akin to the Monteleone. It's the 2010s now, we don't have to settle for some ugly parking garage monstrosity like Canal Place or the Sheraton/Marriott towers.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Is everyone here opposed to highrise development on those lots? It's not like we would lose anything historic.

I don't know if true highrises are right for that site but certainly we could/should have 15 story buildings akin to the Monteleone. It's the 2010s now, we don't have to settle for some ugly parking garage monstrosity like Canal Place or the Sheraton/Marriott towers.
There used to be this building on the corner of Decatur and Bienville that burnt down Mardi Gras 1975. I would love to see a developer rebuild it as apartments or condos with retail on the first floor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nolacampa...widget%3DTweet

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:56 PM

I'd be fine with something taller along the Westin, but I think it would have to taper down to 5-7 floors at N Peters and Bienville. That's still a huge area of potential development and a high rise would fit nicely in the Canal Place surface lot. I think if one were to propose something too large, the backlash would be fierce from the VCPORA etc. There is still plenty of room for highrises elsewhere, so that's probably not a battle worth waging at this point.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I'd be fine with something taller along the Westin, but I think it would have to taper down to 5-7 floors at N Peters and Bienville. That's still a huge area of potential development and a high rise would fit nicely in the Canal Place surface lot. I think if one were to propose something too large, the backlash would be fierce from the VCPORA etc. There is still plenty of room for highrises elsewhere, so that's probably not a battle worth waging at this point.
Hello everyone this is my first post on here but I really love all the post and comments and ideas everyone has on development in this beautiful city.

Is there any reason Why we have height restrictions in the warehouse district?
I can really see the warehouse district in NOLA looking like a cooler and less cookie cutter midtown Atl.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

The two blocks closest to canal place ( stepped down height limits would be best ) wouldnt bother me but the other ones i wouldnt want to see anything higher than whats currently allowed.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
The two blocks closest to canal place ( stepped down height limits would be best ) wouldnt bother me but the other ones i wouldnt want to see anything higher than whats currently allowed.
Same. Aside from the fact that I'm pretty sure zoning wouldn't allow it, the French Quarter really shouldn't have its access to the river obstructed any more than it already is. Those first couple of blocks by Canal Place though would be great for taller development. In an ideal world the city would own those lots and expand the riverfront park to provide a lot more green space in an otherwise congested urban area. I think if/when someone tries to build something on those parking lots there will be a LOT of controversy no matter what it is because it's basically in the Quarter. Try to go historic and people will accuse them of Disney-fying the Quarter. Try to go modernist and people will say it doesn't fit in with the neighborhood.

Realistically I think a 2-3 floor parking garage that takes the Miami approach and does its best to be architecturally interesting and not look like a parking garage would be the most benign option.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:57 PM

Let's hope they figure out the funding, but it's exciting to see this kind of transformative project moving forward. Hopefully these stops are just the beginning of a fast, affordable regional transportation solution that allows BR/NO/JP to combine forces and generate more economic power...

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...d9d4fbe0d.html

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:44 PM
-

Updated Lakeshore Landing Plans

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:46 PM
-

Former Cheesecake Bistro Building

nice to see that now this restaurant closed this tacky eyesore will be updated with a modern clean look and nice new restaurant concept! Anne Rice would approve!

2001 St Charles Ave, 2003 St Charles Ave, 2009 St Charles Ave, 1630 St·Design Review · Project #DR089-18 · Ref Code: 1NKLBZ
Download (4) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Copeland’s Cheesecake Bisllc
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
6/4/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Design Review for exterior renovations and addition of outdoor seating area for an existing restaurant in an MU-1 District and a CPC Design Overlay.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:49 PM
-

Phase 2 Bourbon Street

Second phase is now out to bid... looks like the city did much more extensive exploratory work for the bid package for this phase and as a result should avoid the mess that was phase 1.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations