HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

181 Fremont in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:54 PM
Get me out of here

11/15/16

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Heller Manus saved it all up for this one, the simplistic sophistication of 181 Fremont is timeless and an exceptional addition for the SF skyline.
And kudos to general contractor Level 10 Construction for spectacularly transforming Heller Manus's vision into reality.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 12:21 AM

Not a bad view from the top

@181Fremont on Twitter

Or the ground

181 Fremont by ℙαґḯṧḯ℮ηηε, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 4:04 PM
Get me out of here

11/17/16

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:25 AM
Green Berniecrat

I took these today, this building looks even more awesome in person!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:54 AM

^ Looks like just another 30-40ft tip of the spire as the final piece to go up. My wifie and I were in SF just briefly for 3 days for an out patient procedure at Univ SF near AT&T Park. I'd love to post some pics I took with my cell phone but haven't done that before (took a bunch of 181 Fremont and Salesforce and even some skyline pics from the park around Coit Tower-the elevator was out of order in Coit Tower).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 7:04 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
^ Looks like just another 30-40ft tip of the spire as the final piece to go up. My wifie and I were in SF just briefly for 3 days for an out patient procedure at Univ SF near AT&T Park. I'd love to post some pics I took with my cell phone but haven't done that before (took a bunch of 181 Fremont and Salesforce and even some skyline pics from the park around Coit Tower-the elevator was out of order in Coit Tower).
Yep, that's the last bit of height to be added, and it's going to look marvelous once it's up there. You can upload your pictures onto a free image hosting site online (I use postimage.org) and copy the link using the little mountains icon on this forum!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 7:57 PM

Wish they could've added another 17-story segment to the top (or two ), but I'll take it! This sure is a beauty.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
Not a bad view from the top

@181Fremont on Twitter
This is why Salesforce Tower needs an observation deck.

Anyway, this is turning out to be a really great building. The shape and colors are good, and it blends well with the rest of modern San Francisco. On a side note, am I the only one who thinks this kind of looks like a miniature Bank of China Tower?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post

Anyway, this is turning out to be a really great building. The shape and colors are good, and it blends well with the rest of modern San Francisco. On a side note, am I the only one who thinks this kind of looks like a miniature Bank of China Tower?
Perhaps someday they will add an observation area to Salesforce or Oceanwide.

No you are not the only one who thinks that. It's been noted by many numerous times early in the process. I think this tower is more attractive actually. Not at symmetrical, chunky or glossy.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:49 PM

An issue with observation decks is if it doesn’t have a designated elevator it becomes a huge inconvenience issue for the building's tenants. There would also need to be extra security and safety requirements to deal with hundreds of non-tenants pouring into the buildings daily.

The deck would have to be profitable enough, or valuable somehow to sustain the costs of a private elevator, extra security and somehow not be a hassle or safety issue to the buildings tenants.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 9:08 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post

You'd have some amazing views! Careful of the neighboring Millennium Tower's impending fall though.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 11:47 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Careful of the neighboring Millennium Tower's impending fall though.
It's leaning the other way.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 1:09 AM

The other day I got some good pics of both towers out of the ole windshield on eastbound I-80 just before the bridge but don"t know how to get the URL so I can post off my I phone..

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 2:14 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
It's leaning the other way.
As far as I heard it's leaning North West, which means it could still scrape Salesforce if it fell, since it [Millenium tower] is directly east of it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 3:14 AM

I predict Millennium will be dismantled within a short time frame from now. Hopefully they can put a nice 800 footer in its place (bolted solidly to bedrock).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 3:47 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I predict Millennium will be dismantled within a short time frame from now. Hopefully they can put a nice 800 footer in its place (bolted solidly to bedrock).
There is very minimal to no bedrock anywhere below downtown San Francisco (unless you drill way way way down). Most of downtown is built on sand, silt or mud, with only a few pockets of harder rock base. Otherwise, the majority of the land is frighteningly susceptible to liquefaction if an earthquake with enough intensity were to strike the area (God-forbid; such a thought terrifies me).

And while designing with seismic issues in mind is required in California, the desired effect is to minimize damage as much as possible in order to protect and ensure the health, safety and welfare of occupants (essentially the same credo for architects in general).

Here is a great resource that shows the soil composition of every part of the Bay Area:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/nca/soiltype/map/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
There is very minimal to no bedrock anywhere below downtown San Francisco (unless you drill way way way down). Most of downtown is built on sand, silt or mud, with only a few pockets of harder rock base. Otherwise, the majority of the land is frighteningly susceptible to liquefaction if an earthquake with enough intensity were to strike the area (God-forbid; such a thought terrifies me).

And while designing with seismic issues in mind is required in California, the desired effect is to minimize damage as much as possible in order to protect and ensure the health, safety and welfare of occupants (essentially the same credo for architects in general).

Here is a great resource that shows the soil composition of every part of the Bay Area:

Both 181 fremont and salesforcetower are right next to mellenium and they go 280-300ft down to bedrock. So it can and is being done.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post

Well the issue isn't that the tower wasn't drilled to bedrock per se, but that a reinforced concrete frame of 60 stories is just too damn heavy to not have been bolted to bedrock. There are many towers nearby not bolted to bedrock, however, they are puny in size and/ or steel framed, so much lighter and are not compacting the landfill so much to the point that they are sinking.

Once the tilt gets to the point that the elevators no longer operate safely, the building is a loss. Even before then, the parking garage may become condemned and inaccessible.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 4:01 PM
Get me out of here

11/22/16

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive