HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 10:00 PM

Tall building electrical power usage

Anybody know a source or an algorithm to estimate (roughly) how many KW a tall building might use in a period of time?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
Heavy User

I'd imagine a million factors would come into play here:

Date of construction/energy efficiency/materials

Primary use (residential, commercial, industrial)

etc.

But...yeah, I don't have this kind of info. Maybe any general formula would have such a wide Margin of error as to be kind of useless without being more specific about some of the factors?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 5:32 AM

Rough estimate, order of magnitude

I understand. What I'm trying to do is to estimate the feasibility / sensibility of mounting one or more wind horizontal or vertical axis wind turbines on the roofs of buildings.

If the building is a really tall building, I suppose any wind benefit would be a small part of the building's total usage...therefore, probably not so practical. If the building is low with a large roof plan, adequate roof support and good wind, putting a small, lightweight vertical axis wind farm on the roof might make more sense.

I can estimate the case for low buildings with large roof areas (roughly) and get actual usage, but I have no idea how much electricity tall buildings use.

I read a post here titled "About power distribution" by MSOE_superforce87, but he or she only described power distribution, not usage.

A ballpark estimate is probably all I need for the time being.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 5:58 AM
Because I'm Clever!

I know the last real reply was in November, but given that it's already been bumped, I might as well offer an answer:

Bahrain World Trade Center

Quote:
The two towers are linked via three skybridges, each holding a 225KW wind turbine, totalling to 675kW of wind power production.

The wind turbines are expected to provide 11% to 15% of the towers' total power consumption, or approximately 1.1 to 1.3 GWh a year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain_World_Trade_Center

That works out to 4500kW to 6136kW power draw at any one time.

New York World Trade Center
Quote:
According to the agreement with the NYPA, UTC Power is to supply four 1.2 MW fuel cell systems, making it one of the largest installations in the world.
http://cleantech.com/news/2972/utc-p...-fuel-cell-bid

Quote:
Energy efficiency is a priority at the rebuilt World Trade Center, and a major piece of the green-building plan was installed on site starting in late October: fuel cells. Six fuel cells -- each nearly as large as a shipping container -- are now in place to supply about 30 percent of the power to 3 and 4 WTC.
6 units at 1.2MW each, in total providing 30% of the centers power runs out to 24MW for the 4 towers, or roughly 6MW each, in line with the Bahrain building. So it seems a modern green building on the scale of 2 million sqft draws 6MW.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:28 PM

The building of the lignite fired power station "Niederaussem, Unit K" is 172 metres tall. It has a generation capacity of 1012 MW.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering