HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 7:55 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Savannah, GA - Paradise of urban parks

I spent the first two days of 2013 in the twin gems of historic southern urbanity, Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC. My trips there were short, just a few hours in each, but well worth the detours off I-95. Having never previously been to either, I was happy to finally see first hand the cities that were once America's 5th and 21st largest.

We arrived in Savannah on the afternoon of New Year's day. Savannah is laid out like a classic river city, with an industrial downtown fronting on the water, and neighborhoods behind, all following a strict grid of streets. It looks much like what Philadelphia and Montreal must have, once upon a time.

The waterfront is a pedestrian promenade, with old warehouses converted to restaurants and shops. It's very tourist oriented.

These tracks carry a streetcar that's famous in transportation planning circles for being completely wireless. Alas, the streetcar is strictly a tourist operation and only runs a couple of days each week, so I didn't get to see it. The technology for wireless streetcars is still very rare, because it's only good for short stretches.

More from the waterfront:

The Talmadge Bridge, completed in 1990.

Immediately behind the waterfront the land slopes sharply uphill. There's a weird feature a block up called Factor's Walk, where there's a terrace between "street level" above and "street level" below. In this image, the waterfront is off to the left, and the rest of downtown is off to the right. People hoping to get from one to the other have to go up stairs. The bridges connect to the backs of buildings which front on the water, so you don't have to walk all the way down if you're entering those buildings from the upper part of downtown.

This is Bay Street, the first major street up the hill.

One of the things that makes Savannah famous is its collection of squares. Look at a map of Savannah and they stand out immediately. Every couple of blocks, equally spaced throughout the grid, there's a park. In the center of the city you're never more than two blocks away from one. They make Savannah's urban park system one of the best anywhere, and the envy of much larger cities all over the world.

The first square I found was Ellis Square, which is one of the most unique. It was destroyed in the 20th Century to be turned into a parking lot, or something awful like that, and has only recently been converted back into a park. While most of the other squares retain their historic character, this one is undeniably modern.

Just off Ellis Square, Saint Julien Street is a short pedestrian mall.

From there I walked south into the neighborhoods, passing through the more historic Johnson Square, Wright Square, Chippewa Square, Madison Square, and Monterey Square. I'm not sure which picture is from which square.

The squares are superbly scaled. They are just exactly the right size. Big enough to offer an escape, but small enough that they don't feel empty if only a couple of people are in them. That's a difficult trick to pull off. And they make effective, functional, and beautiful use of furniture and art. Anyone interested in urban park design must visit Savannah.

The neighborhoods are quiet, but very walkable. Completely urban.

There are some apartment buildings, and plenty of detached townhouses, but rowhouses are more dominant.

Alley houses are abundant. More abundant than in most northern cities, even. They come in all shapes and sizes, from mundane...

... to almost luxurious.

There are a couple of bigger boulevards cutting through. The southern trees make them pretty unique.

Here's another square! They dominate the layout of the city. You pass through them every few minutes.

A mile or so inland from the waterfront lies Forsyth Park, Savannah's "Central Park". Vastly bigger than a square, it's a different sort of space entirely. However, the entry way into Forsyth Park is very like a square, with a walkway leading to a big central fountain.

Quite a fountain it is.

Past the fountain there's another walkway, through the arboretum section of the park, and back to its larger more open area.

There are playgrounds, monuments, open fields, performance areas, you name it.

Along the edges of the park: mansions.

Except some of them aren't mansions anymore. A building like this in a bigger / more prosperous city wouldn't be an animal hospital.

I thought this was funny.

One bad thing about Savannah was its transit. I saw a lot of tourist shuttles, but I never once saw an actual city transit bus. Literally not a single time. I did see a bus stop, obviously from decades ago.

Savannah is a natural biking city and I did see a lot of people biking. There weren't many bike lanes, but traffic was low, so maybe they aren't really necessary. Check out this bike route sign, though. Pennyfarthing, anyone?

Walking back towards downtown from Forsyth Park, I passed through more squares: Chatham, Pulaski, Orleans, and Telfair. Not sure which one this is:

It started to get dark as I headed back into downtown.

Check this out: Green brick. Not a common thing.

This was neat: a sports bar projecting the Rose Bowl (happening at the time) on a blank wall:

Also neat: This store's awning, which doubles as a map of the city. You can see the squares prominently.

Parting shot: Factor's Walk at night, back near the waterfront:

Keep your eyes peeled for Charleston, later today or tomorrow.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 12:58 PM

One of my favorite cities ever. My grandparents live on nearby Hilton Head Island, I visit Savannah often.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 2:33 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I'm so envious, wish I was there right now. Savannah and Charleston are my two favorite Southern cities. Fun set of pics, and those parks are gems. Thanks for the tour Cirrus, look forward to Charleston.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 3:45 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Damnit! You beat me to the punch! (I was in Savannah in mid-December)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 3:47 PM

been couple of times, just a gorgeous, gorgeous place

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 4:33 PM

Great shots! Savannah's streetcar runs on diesel.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 5:26 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

A very attractive city, but it looks so much better to me in the air of winter. It was hot and rainy and itchy and lightning-y when I was there.

http://www.drivingmrspacey.com/MGGE_portrait.jpg

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 6:59 PM
Red October standing by

thanks for the pics. i'll be there in about 2 weeks.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 12:45 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Very Montrealish-looking

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 1:28 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

There is something very attractive about rowhousing/good urbanity and tropical-ish flora.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 2:50 AM

I don't know why you don't see more Savannah on here. Great pics. I always say that if you asked me to design a new city from the ground up, I'd start by ripping off Savannah's squares and go from there.

Good to see you got a photo of the fountain! I'll never forget when I was in Savannah, the tourist-trolley driver told us we were all required to come back to Forsyth Park and take a picture of the fountain. "Would you go to Paris and not take a picture of the Eiffel Tower?" he said.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
been couple of times, just a gorgeous, gorgeous place
Never met someone from Boston who has been to Savannah (or Charleston) and not tripped over themselves in appreciation. I love Savannah. It feels so much like home, yet has so many differences that pop up in totally unexpected ways.

Fantastic pics and tour, Cirrus!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 4:48 AM

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 9:17 AM

Attended SCAD (architecture) for undergrad in the early 90's, it was a magical place. Back then you could rent a full floor of a historic townhouse with marble fireplaces and crystal chandeliers for $400/mo. I lived on Monterey Square, then Wright Square, then several of us got together and built out a loft on W. Jones. The owner charged us $325/mo for a 5,000'sq second floor raw space- of course we had to put in the kitchen and bathroom.

Those were the days!

Savannah got hot after "Midnight" so I cherish what we had before that.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 10:45 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

It looks so comfortable. Great scale. Thanks for the pics.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Never met someone from Boston who has been to Savannah (or Charleston) and not tripped over themselves in appreciation. I love Savannah. It feels so much like home, yet has so many differences that pop up in totally unexpected ways.

Fantastic pics and tour, Cirrus!
very true Shawn. We've been to Charleston too but as nice as it is Savannah has it over Charleston in spades, in my opinion. If it were not for it's heat and humidity and Sonoma County, i would retire to Savannah

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 12:01 PM

Looks like SCAD still uses Eichberg Hall for arch/interior studios. Spent many late nights there!

SCAD Group pool pics on flikr http://www.flickr.com/groups/scad/pool/35794429@N05/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 6:54 PM

Beautiful pics, Cirrus. Glad you enjoyed the small area you explored.

And Savannah very much has a transit system, it's pretty up to date for a small metro. Downtown free zone, hybrid buses, google app, new intermodal station under construction, etc. Can't believe you didn't notice.

http://www.catchacat.org/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 7:21 PM

It's not that it was an oversight. I mean, I looked.

Maybe they just didn't run any service since it was a holiday.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 7:28 PM

^A distinct possibility - that was probably it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos