HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 7:09 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2012 in ZHOUZHUANG, China

Zhouzhuang is the most touristy of the water towns near Shanghai. Having been warned beforehand that it was a big trap, I opted to see for myself just whether there is anything authentic left. It's an expensive day trip, not because of the transport, but the entry ticket into the town itself. After 2 hours on the bus, I entered the gates and water soon came into view.

This is one of the twin bridges, the most famous symbol of Zhouzhuang. Both were built during the Ming Dynasty in the 16th and 17th centuries.

A series of stone bridges traverse the rivers that criss-cross Zhouzhuang. The protective railings are very low, so don't count on them to prevent people from falling into the water. It probably wasn't the most important design point at the time when the bridges were built.

Traffic jam

Shen House was built in 1742 as a multi-courtyard luxury residence.

As one of the key tourist attractions, plenty of large tour groups were flowing into each courtyard, one by one. My only escape would be to pay a token additional admission to head upstairs to the sleeping chambers.

The token additional admission scared away all the other tourists. I had the whole floor to myself, with no interruptions at all to enjoy the various rooms and exquisite furniture on display.

There were windows that opened back out to the courtyards below, giving a different perspective to what I just saw downstairs.

Heading back downstairs, there was a bakery that sold traditional snacks.

The full set : http://www.globalphotos.org/shanghai.htm

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 3:39 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

A Chinese Venice.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 3:18 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Thanks for the tour hk.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 1:50 AM
SkyscraperSunset.com

Great thread and photos, HK!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 4:45 PM
Hong Kong

Pick up a piece of traditional Chinese clothing or cloth to bring home.

Dried fish and shrimp are readily available for sale.

Don't expect to find a McDonald's, KFC, or Starbucks here. This is what you will find for lunch. I did stumble across a high-end cafe later in the day though.

Quanfu Temple is at the edge of town, facing more modest quarters where fishermen at hard at work. The temple itself is a new construction in the 1990's as the original site was severely damaged in the 1950's.

Leaving the temple, I came across a shopping street, including this mobile "antique" shop.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 6:21 PM

Thanks for the pics, but you never came to a verdict, was it a worth the visit or not?

I'm headed to Shangahi for around for 2 weeks in May and I'm wondering if I should include it in my itinerary.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 2:15 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Thanks for the pics, but you never came to a verdict, was it a worth the visit or not?

I'm headed to Shangahi for around for 2 weeks in May and I'm wondering if I should include it in my itinerary.
I personally prefer the less crowded water towns of Zhujiajiao and Wuzhen. There are a few more off-the-beat ones in the area, but the 2 I mentioned are more easily accessible.

I haven't been to Tongli yet, but that is also a very good one according to the locals.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 3:37 PM
Hong Kong

Chengxu Temple is a Taoist worshipping venue dating from the Song Dynasty in the 11th century.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 2:18 AM

Nice. I like those interior shots.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos