HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 3:13 PM
PearlHelp.com

I work at OHSU, and drive over the Ross Island bridge every night. I've been seeing lots of lights on as well. ^_^

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 12:17 AM
PearlHelp.com

The Matisse completed???

Says their Craigslist ads:
http://portland.craigslist.org/searc...Ask=&bedrooms=

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 4:44 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
The Matisse completed???

Says their Craigslist ads:
http://portland.craigslist.org/searc...Ask=&bedrooms=
Wow.
$1,066 for 555 sq/ft. Do people pay that to rent in South Waterfront?
Theres also a 555 sq/ft apartment for $1181. Pricey.

And wow again. Scrolling through those photos above... the building is nothing special on the outside, and that's being kind. I get that the rent is for the apartment, but the building does not look like a place that could possibly command such high rent.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 7:02 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Wow.
$1,066 for 555 sq/ft. Do people pay that to rent in South Waterfront?
Theres also a 555 sq/ft apartment for $1181. Pricey.

And wow again. Scrolling through those photos above... the building is nothing special on the outside, and that's being kind. I get that the rent is for the apartment, but the building does not look like a place that could possibly command such high rent.
Location, location, location...

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 6:27 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Location, location, location...
That's my point. Does THAT location in its current state really command such prices? It isn't a destination neighborhood yet. I don't know anybody who GOES to South Waterfront for something to do. It doesn't even seem like a neighborhood to me, and it's totally removed from anywhere else.

Those prices seem too high to me.

...but what do *I* know?

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 10:32 PM
PearlHelp.com

I agree the rent is way to high. Even with the specials. The location isn't worth the premium yet at all. The closest grocery store is a ride on the streetcar... I'd almost want a car living there. The only thing they have going is the proximity to OHSU. I could literally sleep in 30 minutes until I have to be at work. I'm moving to the Pearl this Friday, I looked at places in the South Waterfront but wasn't satisfied with the lack of retail. I'm very excited to be moving into the city because I've lived in Oregon City for awhile. No more commuting!

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 12:55 AM
momentum

when Mirabella opens, and you put that demographic down there...going for their walks...hanging out in the parks and enjoying the golden years...i suspect more retail will pop up. as well, the diversity will start to create what will be the structure for a unique neighborhood. it takes times. I also agree, i think rent throughout the city is out of control!

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 6:52 PM

They were giving tours to some of the future residents of the Mirabella over the weekend. They temporarily opened up Pennoyer St. which is just south of the Mirabella. It was nice to walk down Pennoyer for the first time in two years!

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 8:23 PM

I just talked to Portland Parks and was told that the park won't be open for "weeks". They don't even have an estimated date of when it will open. They are waiting on a contractor to finish their punchlist. Apparently the contractor is moving pretty slow. How unfortunate, it is a great looking park.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 8:47 PM

I talked to some folks working on the park the other day as well. They told me one of the biggest holdups is that a large amount of the plants that "look" dead must be replaced as has been required by the city. He went on to tell me the plants are in fact still alive but wouldn't be their vibrant selves until next spring with some maturity.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 7:29 AM
shozbot!

South Waterfront Project To Restart
POSTED: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 02:40 PM PT
BY: Nathalie Weinstein
Tags: South Waterfront, The Tamarack

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/05/25...ct-to-restart/

A housing development for homeless veterans has been stalled in the South Waterfront neighborhood since summer 2008. But now, the Portland Bureau of Housing says construction on The Tamarack will begin this summer.

Margaret Van Vliet, executive director of the housing bureau, said the Portland Development Commission, Mayor Sam Adams‘ office and her office were able to make the project pencil out during the city’s recent budget work.

“We were able to sharpen our pencils and make everything fit,” Van Vliet said. “It took a while but I believe we have a viable project today.”

The $49.8 million project will use a combination of tax-increment financing from the North Macadam Urban Renewal area, bond financing and tax credit equity from a 4 percent low income housing tax credit available through the state of Oregon. The project’s funding strategy still needs to be approved by Portland city council. That vote will take place in September.

Designed by Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects, The Tamarack will be a six-story wood frame building with 209 apartments over ground floor retail and office space. The apartments will be available to families earning 60 percent of median family income, and 42 apartments will be reserved for veterans earning less than 30 percent of median family income.

Construction by general contractor Walsh Construction is anticipated to begin in November. Project developer Williams and Dame Development is currently seeking a nonprofit low income housing developer to be the long term owner and operator of The Tamarack.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 8:27 AM
PearlHelp.com

Affordable Housing is a go?

http://www.portlandonline.com/phb/in...52610&a=301631

This new housing development will be a five story wood frame building constructed on Block 49 in the North Macadam Urban Renewal Area. The project will have 209 affordable apartments over ground-floor commercial space and both underground and at-grade parking. ll 209 of the apartments will be affordable to households earning 60% of median income or less ($29,000 for a single person household). The project will include 42 apartments targeted to veterans and affordable to households earning less than 30% MFI ($14,700). The first-floor commercial space may be used for retail, office, or community services. The project will be very “green,” achieving, at minimum, a LEED Silver standard.

Construction is expected to start in late fall 2010, with completion in 2012. Financing for the $50 million project includes TIF subsidy from the North Macadam Urban Renewal Area (NMAC URA), 4% LIHTC, and federal and state grants. Additional private activity bond financing will be temporarily used during construction.

What is the plan for the building, and who will be living there?

All of the apartments will be affordable to households earning 60% of median income or less ($29,000 for a single person household). The project will include 42 apartments affordable to households earning below 30% MFI ($14,700) and targeted to veterans. The first-floor commercial space may be used for retail, office, or community services. The project will be very “green,” achieving, at minimum, a LEED Silver standard.

What is the program for the very low income units?

Veterans will be assisted through the Veterans Administration Supportive Housing program (VASH) and the Housing Authority of Portland’s (HAP) Moving to Work program. Both programs utilize HUD Section 8 program-based and tenant-based rental assistance. Support services for the Veterans will be provided by the Veterans Administration allowing the development to target homeless Veterans, or those at-risk of homelessness.

Who is developing the project?

The Portland Development Commission (PDC) purchased Block 49 as part of the strategy for funding infrastructure improvements in the south waterfront. The former owners, North Macadam Investors LLC (NMI), have been working with PDC to plan the project and have designed and permitted construction plans through the efforts of Ankrom Moisam Architects and Walsh Construction. Although PDC and NMI agreed that NMI would repurchase the site from PDC and develop the project; both parties believe that the development process will be facilitated by having an experienced non-profit organization control the ownership and operation of the project. The non-profit sponsor will be solicited through a Request for Qualifications to be released in May 2010. The selected non-profit will form a related entity to act as the general partner or manager of the limited partnership, or limited liability corporation, to own and operate the development. It is anticipated that NMI (doing business as Williams and Dame Development), Ankrom Moisam and Walsh Construction will continue in their respective roles as development consultant, architect and contractor. The new entity, controlled by the sponsor non-profit, will develop and own the project.

Is PDC managing the project, or the new Housing Bureau?

PDC will continue to own the site until it is transferred to the new owner. PDC and the Portland Housing Bureau (PHB) are working cooperatively to implement the project with PHB as the lead bureau. It is anticipated that the new owner will enter into a Disposition and Development Agreement (DDA) with both PDC and PHB for the conveyance of the property and into loan agreements with PHB for the funding.

How will the project be financed?

Primarily, the project will utilize bond financing and tax credit equity resulting from an allocation by the state of the 4% low income housing tax credit.

How much TIF will be used?

An estimated $28 million in new TIF is needed for this project. This new TIF funding and past TIF expenditure for land acquisition and predevelopment expenses results in a total TIF expenditure of approximately $30 million.

Will this project always be off the tax rolls?

As affordable housing controlled by a not-for-profit corporation, the residential portion of the building will not be taxed. It is expected that the commercial spaces will be subject to property taxes unless the uses otherwise qualify it for exemption.

What are the TIF set-aside income guideline goals?

The following TIF set-aside income guidelines apply to the North Macadam Urban Renewal Area (NMURA).

Proposed Income Guidelines: Resource allocations will meet the following criteria: Income/Spending Category

(MFI/housing type)

Proposed Income Guidelines

Estimated Unit Potential

FY06/07 – FY11/121

0-30% MFI Rental Housing

50% - 70%

NMURA - 135-190 units

31-60% MFI Rental & 0-60% Homeownership3

20% - 40%

NMURA - 85-175 units

61-80% (100%2) Homeownership

0% - 20%

NMURA - 0-65 units

Low Income Community Facilities4

0% - 10%

Not applicable

Will this project meet the income guidelines of the Set Aside?

During the current timeframe, TIF set-aside goals require 39% of the TIF available for projects in the North Macadam Urban Renewal Area to be spent on affordable housing projects. After completion of the Central District projects, the TIF set-aside goal will adjust to 30% of total URA project resources. All of the 208 units in the Block 49 project are affordable (0-60% MFI) thus bringing the North Macadam URA expenditures into alignment with the TIF set-aside policy.

The project will be the first affordable housing project in the district. In addition to meeting the goal of spending at least 30% of Urban Renewal Area TIF on affordable housing, the project will also strive to meet some of the TIF set-aside policy income guideline goals. The Income Guidelines require at least 50% of the URA TIF set-aside allocated to units in the 0-30% MFI range and at least 20% allocated to units in the 31-60% MFI range.

How does the project meet NMURA Housing policies?

The North Macadam Housing Development Strategy and the Central District Development Plan are the key documents that outline quality, production, and income goals for housing in the North Macadam URA. This project meets many of the housing goals outlined in these strategies by creating a mixed income mixed use housing project near major employers and transportation.

Project Timeline:

Summer 2010 – Issue Request for Qualifications

September 2010 – Obtain City Council approval of funding

October 2010 - Underwriting and closing

Late Fall 2010 – Begin Construction

Other ways the project meets public policy goals:

* Project transforms a formerly contaminated site into a highly sustainable, LEED Silver apartment building
* Will add to the tax base for the commercial portions of the building
* Provides transit oriented housing opportunities at the end of the Streetcar line
* Meets the City’s Minority, Women, and Emerging Small Businesses percentage of contracting goals of 20%
* Provides apprenticeship opportunities for construction workers
* Pays quality, family wages (BOLI Commercial)
* Adds to the economic diversity of the South Waterfront district
* Builds a vibrant neighborhood with active ground floor office and retail
* Provides stimulus to the local economy now while it is needed the most

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 8:44 AM
PearlHelp.com

Check out the "Typical floor plan" on the site... It looks a lot like Lovejoy Station in the Pearl. Which is also affordable housing. The only real big difference is not every unit has a balcony like Lovejoy Station. The courtyard will sit on top of the parking garage just like Lovejoy Station... And only a one level garage (like Lovejoy Station, LOL). Lovejoy Station offers apartments at 80% MFI and 60% MFI, I will be curious to see if this building turns out the same.

http://www.portlandonline.com/phb/in...52610&a=301631

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 9:35 PM

South Waterfront project to restart

POSTED: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 02:40 PM PT
Tags: South Waterfront, The Tamarack
A housing development for homeless veterans has been stalled in the South Waterfront neighborhood since summer 2008. But now, the Portland Bureau of Housing says construction on The Tamarack will begin this summer.

Margaret Van Vliet, executive director of the housing bureau, said the Portland Development Commission, Mayor Sam Adams‘ office and her office were able to make the project pencil out during the city’s recent budget work.

“We were able to sharpen our pencils and make everything fit,” Van Vliet said. “It took a while but I believe we have a viable project today.”

The $49.8 million project will use a combination of tax-increment financing from the North Macadam Urban Renewal area, bond financing and tax credit equity from a 4 percent low income housing tax credit available through the state of Oregon. The project’s funding strategy still needs to be approved by Portland city council. That vote will take place in September.

Designed by Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects, The Tamarack will be a six-story wood frame building with 209 apartments over ground floor retail and office space. The apartments will be available to families earning 60 percent of median family income, and 42 apartments will be reserved for veterans earning less than 30 percent of median family income.

Construction by general contractor Walsh Construction is anticipated to begin in November. Project developer Williams and Dame Development is currently seeking a nonprofit low income housing developer to be the long term owner and operator of The Tamarack.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:36 AM
A before E

That is some good news.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 9:05 AM
shozbot!

Group wants South Waterfront to ditch cars

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/05/27...to-ditch-cars/

POSTED: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM
Tags: South Waterfront, transportation management

More than 500 residents are expected to join the South Waterfront District in the next couple of years. The South Waterfront Transportation Management Association's goal will be to reduce residents' reliance on cars so that undeveloped land can be used for new projects instead of parking lots.

Several hundred new residents are expected soon in the South Waterfront District. Both the Mirabella and Matisse residential towers - offering a total of nearly 500 new units - are set to be completed this year. And work on The Tamarack, an affordable housing development with 209 units, is scheduled to wrap up in 2011.

The district may be able to accommodate such an influx of residents, but not necessarily so many motor vehicles. So, to avoid future development space being sacrificed for parking lots, regional government Metro last week approved funding to create a transportation management association to guide South Waterfront residents to car-free transportation options.

The South Waterfront TMA will include residents, developers and business owners in the neighborhood and will be supported by the Portland Bureau of Transportation, the Portland Development Commission, Metro and Oregon Health & Science University. Metro has committed $150,000 over the next three years, and that total will be matched by South Waterfront residents and businesses via condo association fees and private assistance.

A Lloyd District TMA formed in 1994 was instrumental in helping reduce the amount of single vehicle trips through employee transit pass programs and outreach to local employers. While 76 percent of Lloyd District employees drove to work alone in 1995, only 43 percent do so today, according to Rick Williams, executive director of the Lloyd TMA.

“When I started, the Lloyd District was geographically isolated between freeways,” Williams said. “All of the parking was free, so it was a parking lot for downtown. We understood that we couldn’t continue to do business when we’re building a parking stall for everyone who works here. That’s the same issue in South Waterfront.”

Leslie Poirer, executive director of South Waterfront Community Relations and a member of the South Waterfront TMA, already has heard from South Waterfront employees who feel there isn’t enough parking in their neighborhood.

A streetcar line runs through South Waterfront, but many people who work in the area rely on free and metered parking available in empty lots. She faced a challenging situation recently when an empty lot was being used for parking without a developer’s permission.

“People were parking boats and RVs there without permission,” Poirer said. “We encouraged the developer to turn it into paid parking, which is what it is now. This neighborhood is not built out, so there is perceived space that’s actually reserved for future development.”

A bigger problem for South Waterfront, Poirer added, is that many people don’t know how to reach the district by car.

However, developer and TMA member Dike Dame of Williams & Dame Development said constrained automobile access could help the association reach its goal of reducing the amount of vehicle miles traveled in the area by 30 percent before 2030.

“As the district grows it will be important that improvements be made to both south and north portals to accommodate additional traffic,” Dame said. “But it also presents an opportunity to show people how they can take advantage of other options for moving about, such as streetcar, bike lanes and walking paths.”

The Lloyd TMA was able to greatly reduce single vehicle trips by offering employers transit passes at reduced rates through a partnership with TriMet. With more residential users than work commuters in its district, the South Waterfront TMA will have to pursue a different strategy, Williams said.

“South Waterfront could be the first TMA to have such a heavy residential and commercial focus,” Williams said. “They could do residential pass programs and residential bike programs. They are dealing with reverse commute decisions. My job is to get people to the Lloyd District. Their job will be about commuting in and out.”

The South Waterfront TMA in its first year will offer brown-bag speaker series, transportation safety education and a quarterly meeting for new employees and new residents to learn about the district and transportation options. It also will advocate for a bike-sharing program, electric-vehicle charging stations and additional bike parking for the neighborhood.

Poirer said South Waterfront Community Relations has been developing relationships with residents since the area began to form several years ago. Those existing connections between residents will go a long way in helping the South Waterfront TMA meet its goals, she said.

“Our residents are already very involved with committees about dog parks and community gardens,” Poirer said. “I call them my urban pioneers. It’s a really committed group and I don’t think it will be difficult to get folks excited about this project.”

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 6:10 PM

I agree that they need to have a future plan to deal with traffic in the South Waterfront, however I think it is a little ambitious to think they they can persuade people to not use cars. It is a very inconvenient neighborhood to get to.... by car is really the only way I'de bother getting there. We should work with the reality of the situation and not try to do yet another social engineering project in this neighborhood.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 6:10 PM
shozbot!

Here's the latest Mirabella update, with good interior shots, including the pool area:

http://www.mirabellaretirement.org/p...010/052810.htm

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 10:56 PM

Post South Waterfront is Portland's newest TMA (Tranportation Management Association)

exciting good news for SoWa =)

From bikeportland.org

Last week, Metro Council approved funding for the South Waterfront Transportation Management Association (TMA). The new TMA will be funded to the tune of $300,000 (half from Metro, other half matched by neighborhood businesses and residents of the area) over three years and is set to begin work on July 1st. Other supporters of the new TMA are developers, the City of Portland, the Portland Development Commission, and Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU).

TMAs are non-profit, public/private partnerships funded through the federal government's CMAQ (Congestion Management/Air Quality) grant program and administered through Metro's Regional Travel Options program. The idea behind them is to increase awareness and promote the use of biking, walking, ridesharing, and taking transit. Or put more simply, discourage single-occupancy vehicle use.

This will be the sixth TMA in our region and the first one created since 2001. Other TMAs currently exist for the Lloyd District, Clackamas, Swan Island, Gresham, and Washington County.

In a statement about the new South Waterfront TMA, Portland Mayor Sam Adams said it will "help residents and businesses with transportation choices so congestion and pollution don’t jeopardize the potential of the district.”

According to Metro, the new TMA already has a list of projects it hopes to get started on. Among them are increasing bike parking (which a recent report showed can be good for neighborhoods and businesses) and working with the City and other stakeholders on the Milwaukie Light Rail and Lake Oswego Streetcar projects.

A recent survey of South Waterfront residents compiled by the City of Portland showed that 83% of respondents (86 people took the survey) make at least 3 trips into downtown (about two miles north) from their condos each week. Below are results from that survey when asked how they get there:

What is your primary mode utilized for accessing downtown & Central City?
(Notice that no one who took the survey rides a bike!)

What is your secondary mode utilized to access downtown & Central City

If all goes well, the TMA hopes to decrease vehicle miles traveled in the district by 30% by 2030 (as per Portland's Climate Action Plan and myriad other city and regional plans). It will be interesting to see if those percentages in the charts above change after the TMA has been in operation a few years.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 8:44 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smendesPDX View Post
I agree that they need to have a future plan to deal with traffic in the South Waterfront, however I think it is a little ambitious to think they they can persuade people to not use cars. It is a very inconvenient neighborhood to get to.... by car is really the only way I'de bother getting there. We should work with the reality of the situation and not try to do yet another social engineering project in this neighborhood.
Huh. I've really only ever driven there once, and it is a pain.

Its a lot easier to bike, in my experience from living in SE Portland - just a quick trip over the Hawthorne, down riverfront park, and Moody. Probably takes the same amount of time, and there is of course no traffic to get stuck in.

However, for commuting purposes (in and out), the new Max line will surely help a lot. Too bad it will still have really poor access by transit from SW Portland.

I'm guessing that the reason no residents bicycle in SoWa would be demographics... how many rich old people do you see cruising around town on a Schwinn or a Trek?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland