HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #51841  
Old Posted Yesterday, 12:19 AM
Noir_Noir Noir_Noir is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post


The 1902 CD lists the Model Hand Laundry at 509 Ceres Avenue, which means that 507 was Ravera & Viotto's saloon/wine & liquor wholesale business at 507 Ceres Avenue.


By 1907 it was John M. Miller's Saloon.



rescarta.lapl.org


If the picture is from 1908/09, which is a possibility, the bar's proprietor was Herman M. Claussen.



The poster appears to be promoting a boxing match of lightweight "Battling Nelson" (Oscar Mattheus Nielsen)


boxrec.com


He boxed three times in Los Angeles according to his fight record. All three bouts were at the Pacific Athletic Club Pavilion (Naud Junction Pavilion).

February 4th 1908 - lost to Rudy Unholz.

March 3rd 1908 - drew with Jimmy Britt.

July 13th 1909 - lost to Ad Wolgast.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51842  
Old Posted Yesterday, 1:12 AM
Mstimc Mstimc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
It requires assembly....looked kind of difficult.
Weren't these things made of cardboard? Note the reference to "sturdy 200lb. test material".
__________________
Tim C
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51843  
Old Posted Yesterday, 5:36 AM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 741
Speaking of 507 Ceres Avenue . . .



LA Times of 11/28/1899, via ProQuest via CSULB Library

___


LA Herald of 7/26/1903 via UCR Center for Bibliographical Studies and Research

___


LA Herald of 2/2/1918 via UCR Center for Bibliographical Studies and Research
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51844  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:21 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The 1902 CD lists the Model Hand Laundry at 509 Ceres Avenue, which means that 507 was Ravera & Viotto's saloon/wine & liquor wholesale business at 507 Ceres Avenue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
By 1907 it was John M. Miller's Saloon.


rescarta.lapl.org

If the picture is from 1908/09, which is a possibility, the bar's proprietor was Herman M. Claussen.
Excellent! Thanks Hoss & Noir Noir.






I asked if anyone could decipher this poster.


DETAIL / from the above photo.

Sure enough! Noir Noir comes to the rescue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir Noir
The poster appears to be promoting a boxing match of lightweight "Battling Nelson" (Oscar Mattheus Nielsen)


boxrec.com


He boxed three times in Los Angeles according to his fight record.
All three bouts were at the Pacific Athletic Club Pavilion (Naud Junction Pavilion).

February 4th 1908 - lost to Rudy Unholz.

March 3rd 1908 - drew with Jimmy Britt.

Battling Nelson

josports

History: On February 4, 1908 at Naud Junction Pavilion in Los Angeles lightweights Battling Nelson and Rudy Unholz fought in the main event.
Unholz prevailed winning a ten round decision. Under the city ordinance, no decision could be given. <- - -Huh?

Price: $235.00





I found an interesting tidbit in his book, Battling Nelson, in his own words.


google_books




I searched everywhere for more information on Barney Bloom's Turkish Baths [on Third st] but kept running into dead ends.






That is, UNTIL....I searched under "baths" and found Bloom spelled Blum.

Aha!

lapl / 1906 city directory.



but I can't figure out the address because of the weird way the 1906 directory is laid out.


Here is the complete page.




Is this the Third st. address (as mentioned in Nelson's book)...or a different address? (note: it's listed under SOUTH SIDE)

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51845  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:30 PM
Fnarf Fnarf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Seattle
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post




spittoons and tobacco spit...spread around by shoes.

.
Unless this is one of those pissoir troughs previously mentioned here.

A few very divey, men-only pulquerias in Mexico City had open urine troughs along the base of the bar until very recently, possibly even still. So convenient! So gross!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51846  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:31 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,010
. . .so how was the fountain pen going to help? ...was it engraved with the robber's name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor

LA Herald of 2/2/1918 via UCR Center for Bibliographical Studies and Research
Tony Mussel is the perfect name for a bartender.

Thanks for the info. odinthor. I appreciate it.


.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51847  
Old Posted Yesterday, 9:38 PM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,461
Mystery corner.... 54100 W. Sunset. Cross street?


MSF

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Yesterday at 10:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51848  
Old Posted Yesterday, 10:35 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,690


It's N Western Avenue at Sunset, so the sign actually says "Sunset Blvd 5400 W". Here's a later (1979) shot from a different angle. It looks like the Village Cafe is still on the corner.


LAPL
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51849  
Old Posted Yesterday, 10:43 PM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

It's N Western Avenue at Sunset, so the sign actually says "Sunset Blvd 5400 W". Here's a later (1979) shot from a different angle. It looks like the Village Cafe is still on the corner.
Hey cool Hoss.....that's about the time I lived on Santa Monica Blvd. in Hollywood.
Thank you. and for the correction of the number...

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Today at 2:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51850  
Old Posted Today, 1:38 AM
Godzilla Godzilla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Hey cool Hoss.....that's about the time I lived on Santa Monica Blvd. in Hollywood.

Thank you. and for the correction of the number...

Back in 2012, when dinosaurs were still traversing the area,

that photo provoked some other images of the immediate vicinity. See, e.g., http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5681159&postcount=7527
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51851  
Old Posted Today, 2:25 AM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Back in 2012, when dinosaurs were still traversing the area,

that photo provoked some other images of the immediate vicinity. See, e.g., http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5681159&postcount=7527
My photo post image goes back to page 376....long long before my time on NLA. That was 2012. I was just a kid then.
We all love to see reposts. Hey thanks.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Today at 2:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51852  
Old Posted Today, 2:57 AM
Flyingwedge's Avatar
Flyingwedge Flyingwedge is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post


I found an interesting tidbit in his book, Battling Nelson, in his own words.


google_books




I searched everywhere for more information on Barney Bloom's Turkish Baths [on Third st] but kept running into dead ends.



That is, UNTIL....I searched under "baths" and found Bloom spelled Blum.

Aha!

lapl / 1906 city directory.



but I can't figure out the address because of the weird way the 1906 directory is laid out.


Is this the Third st. address (as mentioned in Nelson's book)...or a different address? (note: it's listed under SOUTH SIDE)

Yes, some of those early directories are hard to follow!

Battling Nelson's memory was off by one street because the turkish bath was at 132 E. 4th Street in the Hotel Venice
building, which we visited in a few posts starting at the bottom of page 1388 and continuing at the top of page 1389.
The building was still standing the last time the googlemobile went by in February 2017.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51853  
Old Posted Today, 10:57 AM
Noir_Noir Noir_Noir is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 157


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
The building was still standing the last time the googlemobile went by in February 2017.

Looks like the building had a prospective intimate date with the wrecking crew once before.

In among the permits for the Venice Hotel/turkish baths building is this close shave with demolition from June 1970.

At that point it says the owner was the City of Los Angeles.



ladbsdoc.lacity.org


Guess the wreckers were busy elsewhere and the building was stood up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.