HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1281  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 10:06 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Leftist Correctist
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 6,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
^ Its not really our president its congress!! Heck the American public should demand that House and Senate members should not be paid during this shutdown plus they should give all bribes and cash back that came from lobbyist's!!!
You should probably learn more
__________________
My signature proved way too controversial. Fiddling while Rome burns...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1282  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:29 AM
Kngkyle Kngkyle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago/New York
Posts: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
Again you guys in south Florida are Blessed to have this.
While the service Brightline is proposing is great, the only unique part about it is that it's being run by a private company instead of Amtrak. Let's face it, this isn't high speed rail. The trains max out at 79 mph which is less than most Amtrak corridors of any significance. Chicago to Detroit, St. Louis, etc. have 110 mph service.

Last edited by Kngkyle; Jan 21, 2018 at 2:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1283  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 6:34 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
While the service Brightline is proposing is great, the only unique part about it is that it's being run by a private company instead of Amtrak. Let's face it, this isn't high speed rail. The trains max out at 79 mph which is less than most Amtrak corridors of any significance. Chicago to Detroit, St. Louis, etc. have 110 mph service.
Top speed isn’t everything. Brightline includes numerous international best practices that are new to American railroads and represent a major efficiency gain over what Amtrak does. All high-platform, level boarding, fully-accessible. Stations are architecturally distinctive. Trains are double-ended to avoid locomotive changes or turnarounds. Coaches have a modern design that isn’t a holdover from the 1950s.

Regardless of how unimpressed you are with the top speed, this represents the first intercity rail in the US (outside of the Northeast Corridor) that comes close to European/Asian standards.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1284  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:32 PM
CastleScott CastleScott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento Ca/formerly CastleRock Co
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Regardless of how unimpressed you are with the top speed, this represents the first intercity rail in the US (outside of the Northeast Corridor) that comes close to European/Asian standards.
Yep this is a BIG reason why I feel this would be a huge success on routes in California like the Bay to Auburn which is an northeast Sacramento suburb, Sacramento to Bakersfield and some runs in SoCal like LA-SD. Not too long ago my wife and I watched as a brand new Brightline train pass us at a grade crossing south of the Siemens plant and its a drop-dead gorgeous train-my wife said too bad these don't run around here because that train screams CALIFORNIA!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1285  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:40 PM
Eightball's Avatar
Eightball Eightball is offline
life is good
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Historic Core
Posts: 2,267
Brightline looks great but the main thing is that it is private and in Florida. How is it better than the Surfliner? Now if all the extensions happen and CAHSR fails (unlikely) then sure. But CAHSR will blow this out of the water. Tickets on The Surfliner is cheaper than Brightline too. I guess you will probably say the Brightline trains are nicer and more modern which is accurate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1286  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:11 AM
CastleScott CastleScott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento Ca/formerly CastleRock Co
Posts: 1,025
^ Surfliner is nice and fun to ride-took one a couple of times down to San Deigo, Capitol Corridor trains are nice too-same equip just painted differently. Yes they were built in the mid 90s and aren't fresh modern and new like Brightline but they still serve a good purpose-Brightline is beautiful but the more I think of it we do need the double deck cars that we have here to cover the demand. The one thing I would love to see as these lines could be sped up a bit to 90 mph or even 110 in some spots and use them as connectors to CAHSR-I live in Sacramento and I could be dead and in the ground by the time a CAHSR spur reaches Sacramento.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1287  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:15 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
^ Surfliner is nice and fun to ride-took one a couple of times down to San Deigo, Capitol Corridor trains are nice too-same equip just painted differently. Yes they were built in the mid 90s and aren't fresh modern and new like Brightline but they still serve a good purpose-Brightline is beautiful but the more I think of it we do need the double deck cars that we have here to cover the demand. The one thing I would love to see as these lines could be sped up a bit to 90 mph or even 110 in some spots and use them as connectors to CAHSR-I live in Sacramento and I could be dead and in the ground by the time a CAHSR spur reaches Sacramento.
Double-decker cars pose challenges for disabled persons, slow down boarding and alighting, and are very expensive (hence, they don't get replaced very often).

You would have just as much capacity, and way more convenience, if you just ran twice the number of trains.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1288  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:27 AM
jd3189's Avatar
jd3189 jd3189 is offline
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loma Linda, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,820
Brightline, Surfliner, and other projects are especially needed in California and the West Coast in general where many can't afford to live in the coastal cities. Match this with smart development in the outer nodes and the unaffordability problem would be greatly reduced as people would rely more on high speed trains for commutes.

Brightline itself is beneficial for South Florida. People have more options to get around now and the major Miami station encourages more development in Downtown and Overtown and beyond into Wynwood, Civic Center, and Edgewater. It does the same for the downtowns of Fort Lauderdale and West Palm.
__________________
There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.
-Aldous Huxley

Continue improving until the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1289  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:04 AM
bobdreamz's Avatar
bobdreamz bobdreamz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Miami/Orlando, FL.
Posts: 7,319
Brightline vs. Tri-Rail video

This video is posted by a guy who is a huge rail fan in Florida and has been posting videos for years on all of the rail based systems here.

Brightline Update and First Ride

Video Link
__________________
Miami : 48 Skyscrapers over 500 + ft. | 152 + meters | 10 U/C !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1290  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 7:50 PM
N830MH N830MH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,154
Group meeting Monday in Stuart in effort to stop Brightline expansion

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1291  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:08 AM
jd3189's Avatar
jd3189 jd3189 is offline
An Optimistic Realist
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loma Linda, CA / West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,820
I live in Stuart. A station downtown would be nice. The FEC already crosses through so Brightline would bring passengers to the most "urban" part of town. Hopefully they approve this since the Treasure Coast (Martin and St. Lucie counties) have strong ties with Palm Beach County.
__________________
There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.
-Aldous Huxley

Continue improving until the end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1292  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:38 AM
electricron's Avatar
electricron electricron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 3,003
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I live in Stuart. A station downtown would be nice. The FEC already crosses through so Brightline would bring passengers to the most "urban" part of town. Hopefully they approve this since the Treasure Coast (Martin and St. Lucie counties) have strong ties with Palm Beach County.
The politicians from the Treasure Coast has spent more money on lawyers opposing Brightline trains than it would have cost to build a train station. Brightline has spent more money on lawyers opposing the other lawyers - there's little money or will left for either side to build a train station on the Treasure Coast anymore.

A little bit of honey and sweet talk might have had a different result.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1293  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 7:03 PM
Rational Plan3 Rational Plan3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 106
Well Florida is all about the Tourist dollar and the multi destination holidays must be quite high.

A regular good quality express train is all you need to attract large numbers of travellors , over the distances we are talking about in Florida. Orlando is the ideal stop for both arriving tourists and a natural hub for hotel bus links. No need for a hire car , better than a coach. The local rail service is an all stops service and would have required billions for four track the route for an express service. Plus if Tri Rail get a link to the New Miami station then that will help with lniks. If at all possible they should also think about a link between the two lines before the Orlando Split off, so people could switch between local and express services.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1294  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 10:11 PM
bobdreamz's Avatar
bobdreamz bobdreamz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Miami/Orlando, FL.
Posts: 7,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan3 View Post
Well Florida is all about the Tourist dollar and the multi destination holidays must be quite high.

A regular good quality express train is all you need to attract large numbers of travellors , over the distances we are talking about in Florida. Orlando is the ideal stop for both arriving tourists and a natural hub for hotel bus links. No need for a hire car , better than a coach. The local rail service is an all stops service and would have required billions for four track the route for an express service. Plus if Tri Rail get a link to the New Miami station then that will help with lniks. If at all possible they should also think about a link between the two lines before the Orlando Split off, so people could switch between local and express services.
Tri-Rail will open at the Miami station later this year.
__________________
Miami : 48 Skyscrapers over 500 + ft. | 152 + meters | 10 U/C !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1295  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 1:23 AM
N830MH N830MH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Tri-Rail will open at the Miami station later this year.
Do you have a source of this? How did you find out?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1296  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 1:18 AM
eleven=11 eleven=11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Do you have a source of this? How did you find out?
its been the plan for years
Half of tri-rail goes to Airport MIA
Half of tri-rail goes to new Downtown Miami station
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1297  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 1:20 AM
eleven=11 eleven=11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
Miami station on left - Marlins stadium behind
good pic
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1298  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 4:18 AM
bobdreamz's Avatar
bobdreamz bobdreamz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Miami/Orlando, FL.
Posts: 7,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Do you have a source of this? How did you find out?
All the attention has been on new baby Brightline this week but don’t forget about older brother Tri-Rail, which also rides the rails from West Palm to Fort Lauderdale and has for years.

But there’s no sibling rivalry, says Tri-Rail spokeswoman Bonnie Arnold.

“We’ve been working together for a number of years, because we will be using their Miami central station once it opens, to bring our service into downtown Miami, so we have a close relationship.

Source: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/am...fnIdMlYFb0FZK/

This has been planned for years :


http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca.../09-03-TriRail

Downtown Miami station :


http://www.sfrta.fl.gov/images/slide...a_platform.jpg
__________________
Miami : 48 Skyscrapers over 500 + ft. | 152 + meters | 10 U/C !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1299  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:02 AM
eleven=11 eleven=11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,053
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bes3aSDD...y=steven_murph
check out the photos , also PBS tv 2/7/2018 10pm
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1300  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:11 AM
eleven=11 eleven=11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,053
http://www.pbs.org/video/creating-sc...thetic-hv1zoh/
new show about skyscraper near train station
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:37 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.