HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:43 AM

Meet Canada's Most Expensive Condo

Nice to see we've learned nothing from London's experience with tehse kind of insane prices:

The $40 million purchase of a Fairmont Pacific Rim penthouse suite and a unit on the floor below was Canada’s most expensive condo purchase, according to Bloomberg news.

A Middle Eastern royal bought the “prestigious and coveted penthouse residence” for $25 million in June, and the additional unit upped the price to $40 million, according to the Vancouver Sun.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09...n_3975773.html

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:22 AM
Community Guy

Wasnt this Katz's unit?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Nice to see we've learned nothing from London's experience with tehse kind of insane prices:

The $40 million purchase of a Fairmont Pacific Rim penthouse suite and a unit on the floor below was Canada’s most expensive condo purchase, according to Bloomberg news.

A Middle Eastern royal bought the “prestigious and coveted penthouse residence” for $25 million in June, and the additional unit upped the price to $40 million, according to the Vancouver Sun.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09...n_3975773.html
The buyer has too much money to spend.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTania View Post
The buyer has too much money to spend.
Agreed; it's also not the most expensive condo (singular) in Canada.

The Toronto Four Seasons sold for $28M.

This pair of condos sold for $25M and $15M respectively and they remain 2 independent units. It likely is the most expensive multiple-condo family compound in Canada.

Buying 2 Bugatti Veyrons doesn't make for the worlds most expensive car, the Lamborghini Veneno still takes that crown.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 3:24 PM
I am the law!

I wonder if it is the most expensive condo purchase. I would imagine multiple unit purchases in these high end building being more common than most would think and there are always trusts buying blocks of suites in the mid range market.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 2:07 AM

I can not fathom paying that much for a room no matter how nice it looks. Why not buy a few islands anywhere in Canada with that money. Any idiot with money can build a building but you can't just build land. Get it while it's gone people theres not much of it left..

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 2:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
I can not fathom paying that much for a room no matter how nice it looks. Why not buy a few islands anywhere in Canada with that money. Any idiot with money can build a building but you can't just build land. Get it while it's gone people theres not much of it left..
If you have enough money it doesn't matter; you can buy the ridiculous condo and a few private islands. On top of that, a lot of people like to show that they can blow lots of money on unnecessary purchases. In those cases it doesn't matter so much what the things are. The important thing is that few people can afford them.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
Agreed; it's also not the most expensive condo (singular) in Canada.

The Toronto Four Seasons sold for $28M.

This pair of condos sold for $25M and $15M respectively and they remain 2 independent units. It likely is the most expensive multiple-condo family compound in Canada.

Buying 2 Bugatti Veyrons doesn't make for the worlds most expensive car, the Lamborghini Veneno still takes that crown.
I think he's gonna renovate it so all floors are accessible inside the unit. $40 million is insane. I could live off that for almost ever.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 3:26 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

This article isn't even accurate, it's 3 units and $53M last I heard.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I think he's gonna renovate it so all floors are accessible inside the unit. $40 million is insane. I could live off that for almost ever.
I think almost anyone could live off this very comfortably for the rest of their lives. You could actually keep it in stable, low-risk investments and make ~$450k every year. That includes keeping some of the interest to put back in the principle to ensure your $450k would grow with inflation year after year. I think I could find a way to survive on that....

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 9:26 PM
Here and There

I think it is time to sell my condo. Looks like things are getting blown out of proportion again and people have forgotten about what made the recession happen in the first place. Over-spending!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:25 PM

What a joke. I guess each to their own, but 40 million for a condo, wow..

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:28 PM
Look at me!

40 million dollars for a view of the Shaw logo, on a patio that will be deserted half the year at the least.

I'll keep my 3 storey triplex in Mile-end, thanks.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
you could have bought Big Gooseberry Island in NS for 1/10 the cost of this place

Quote:
Right out of a storybook, Big Gooseberry Island, has long been fondly known as one of the prettiest islands in Mahone Bay. With its white clapboard and shingled homes with red roofs, a boathouse, along with several outbuildings, the island’s treasured setting is truly magical and has been admired by many for generations.

The Village of Chester is a short boat ride away and offers a Playhouse, a yacht club, a seaside golf course, a rink complex and oodles of interesting shops and cafes.

Island Features: Captain’s house, second home, a guest cottage, a bunkhouse, and a boathouse.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 12:18 AM

Going down, faster than a broken elevator:

The most expensive condo on Canada’s MLS – and second-priciest home listing in the nation, after this $39.9 million West Vancouver house – was re-listed December 12 at an $8 million discount off its original January price.

The new price of the spectacular two-storey penthouse atop Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver’s Coal Harbour district is $29,998,000, which still makes it the second highest-priced listing on the MLS. It was listed in January 2018 for $38 million – and was for a while the most expensive home for sale in Canada – before being reduced mid-year to $34,995,000...

https://www.nsnews.com/canada-s-pric...tos-1.23535761

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 7:25 PM

LOL, still for sale. "Come back money launderers!"

https://biv.com/article/2019/06/cana...-no-price-drop

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 8:26 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
LOL, still for sale. "Come back money launderers!"

https://biv.com/article/2019/06/cana...-no-price-drop
It’s just my opinion, I don’t think the interior looks enticing enough for a nearly 30 million condo

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
It’s just my opinion, I don’t think the interior looks enticing enough for a nearly 30 million condo
Can any condo really be worth that kind of money? You don't own any land and you're just one vote on the strata corp.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:31 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
you could have bought Big Gooseberry Island in NS for 1/10 the cost of this place

See; this is where you folks don't get it. It's all about the clout you get when purchasing expensive stuff

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:22 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Can any condo really be worth that kind of money? You don't own any land and you're just one vote on the strata corp.
If you're that rich it probably doesn't matter? Right? - You are paying for access to the Hotel amenities at that point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada