HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 7:55 PM

by the way....
WTF does " " mean?!?!?

poodledoodledude

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodledoodledude View Post
by the way....
WTF does " " mean?!?!?

poodledoodledude

"see post above"

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 2:43 AM
I want a 458

Poodledude... that was a LOT of great information. My excitement for downtown just raised another notch. I want to see some demolition now!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 12:23 PM
Expatriate

Quote:
devdogAZ--
central bank is LOCAL, and so is far west bank....i wouldn't be surprised to see if both those banks started to find some land in downtown provo and go UP!
Not entirely true. Far West Bank was acquired by AmericanWest in Spokane last year, although they retained the local name. Central is far too cheap to build a new, flashy highrise in Provo. I've audited both banks and would be very surprised to see one of them build any significant new structures anytime soon.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 2:26 PM

didn't know that about far west bank....or central for that matter.

i guess what i mean by 'local' is they are pretty much just found in utah county. sure, you may have an office here and there outside of the county, but those two banks are pretty much utah county banks.

...and it seems like far west bank has had their hand in the cookie jar when it comes to financing projects....know what i mean?

although, you have to admit, that central bank has and EXCELLENT location now that other banks are becoming more high profile with their higher buildings!

poodledoodledude

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 11:46 PM
100 days to economic ruin

Quote:
guys, just heard from my same 'agent' that there is going to be a couple of 14 STORY BUILDINGS COMING RIGHT OUT OF PROVO CANYON!!!!! so, in other words, right at or near the old power site....

if you remember, originally, that was supposed to be the orem plaza hotel--an 8-10 story building that fell through from hammonds....he later went to pleasant grove and is the one developing the embassy suites etc...

the way he said it, was it sounded like it was going to be in orem, but that both cities were working on things to make it fit the area....

i'm sure it's an orem issue, since that is, technically, orem...but for some reason he knew about it, which makes me REALLY wonder...

at any rate, just thought i'd throw that out there!! LETS GO UTAH COUNTY!!!!

poodledoodledude

Here's a picture of the area:

I just don't like the idea of 14 story buildings in this area. The 4-5 story ones, barely work for me.

14 story buildings in Provo, need to be downtown.

I can't imagine that the people on the Orem hill (west side of photo) would be very happy with a couple of tall buildings blocking their view.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 12:13 AM

i agree...

smiling bob--

yes, i agree man...although i'm THRILLED to be getting them in our little valley, i think they would be out of place here. i think orem is crazy for letting this go through!

if you remember, hammonds came to provo years ago and wanted to build an 8 story embassy suites in this same area....in riverwoods to be exact. provo told him that in order to have that big of a building, he needs to go downtown, and that anything over 4 stories would not fit in this area.

so, he went to orem, and orem wanted it there, but it fell through. so, i think orem is still wanting something like that there....but i agree, if i was a neighbor, i would want it downtown provo where all the other higher buildings are being built.

we should ask what wasatch one thinks of this since he is a neighbor of this area....has he heard anything? what are neighbors saying??

poodledoodledude

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 12:51 AM

^^^
I really have to think that all of those surrounding multimillion dollar homes/Pallisades ledge,East bench and Riverbottoms are not going to let this happen.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 5:46 PM

Quote:
smiling bob--

yes, i agree man...although i'm THRILLED to be getting them in our little valley, i think they would be out of place here. i think orem is crazy for letting this go through!

if you remember, hammonds came to provo years ago and wanted to build an 8 story embassy suites in this same area....in riverwoods to be exact. provo told him that in order to have that big of a building, he needs to go downtown, and that anything over 4 stories would not fit in this area.

so, he went to orem, and orem wanted it there, but it fell through. so, i think orem is still wanting something like that there....but i agree, if i was a neighbor, i would want it downtown provo where all the other higher buildings are being built.

we should ask what wasatch one thinks of this since he is a neighbor of this area....has he heard anything? what are neighbors saying??

poodledoodledude
So are these buildings on the Orem or Provo side of the line? I sure hope it's not the Orem side. That would put them right around the substation and the building that is already there. Not much room for a couple of 14 story buildings, but we are talking about Orem here. They have no sense of design or planning. The process basically consists of does the thing fit on the site? Okay go ahead even if it looks like crap, drives down property values, or creates problems and headaches down the road.

Orem does not plan for anything.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 6:44 PM
Belt Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBob View Post
Here's a picture of the area:

I just don't like the idea of 14 story buildings in this area. The 4-5 story ones, barely work for me.

14 story buildings in Provo, need to be downtown.

I can't imagine that the people on the Orem hill (west side of photo) would be very happy with a couple of tall buildings blocking their view.
I dunno. I think some highrises would grow on me in the area. The problem is there is no street grid to handle the traffic, and they probably wouldn't build a proper garage, so there would be a sea of parking.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 6:59 PM

smiling bob--

dude, i'm TOTALLY agreeing with you! i really think orem has a problem with planning.

look at the walmart situation. they let walmart go in and THEN thought....hhhhmmmmm...sandhill road isn't working anymore...i wonder why?!?

the provo towne centre was built, provo was there fixing roads, worked with UDOT to get another freeway offramp built--in part thanks to novell....etc....

also, it seems orem doesn't have the neighborhood structure that provo has. we have neighborhood meetings when ANYTHING goes in, and it seems that orem doesn't have it that way...i could be wrong, but i have a lot of friends live in orem and they had NO idea what a neighborhood meeting even was!

and im sorry, but STATE STREET needs some SERIOUS help! who was it that called it the UGLIEST road in america?? i would NOT like that thing running in between my city-- and where are the trees? it always seems like orem has NO trees....

don't mean to drag orem out on this, but they do have a different mentality...sort of a build it now and worry later what happens...especially with roads and infrastructure...and planting trees....

at any rate--

i'm pretty sure this is on the OREM side of the line....i heard it was going to be where the power substation was going to be---which doesn't really do anything anymore anyway from what i've heard.
so, orem may want to be the city that has the NEW tallest, but i think it will be an eyesore to the community....

BUT...doesn't everyone from out of town think this is PROVO anyway??

i would if i wasn't from here....

poodledoodledude

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 7:29 PM

New Guy

Hello all, I stumbled across this site by accident, but am very glad to find it. I was born and raised in the Provo area but moved to Salt Lake while attending the U as an Urban Planning major. I am fanatical about the Utah Valley and the developments I see therein. I hope I can contribute to the dialogue, and it is great to have a first hand look into future growth and planning in Utah County. I don't know how relivent this might be to your conversations, but as I was dropping off plans to Murray City yesterday, I saw laying on the counter three set of plans for the new Cheesecake Factory at Fashion Place Mall. At first I was stoked because I love that place, but as I questioned more about it from a gentlemen over at Murray City, he mentioned that they are lucky to have it. Apparently the Cheesecake Factory was planning to sign on at the proposed Traverse Ridge development just Southwest of Cabela's. This man at Murray said that because of scaled back plans and other considerations, the Cheesecake Factory grew impatient with the developer and got out of their contract. Anyway, if anyone know what the status of the Traverse Ridge Lifestyle development plans are, I would be interested.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 7:29 PM

New Guy

Hello all, I stumbled across this site by accident, but am very glad to find it. I was born and raised in the Provo area but moved to Salt Lake while attending the U as an Urban Planning major. I am fanatical about the Utah Valley and the developments I see therein. I hope I can contribute to the dialogue, and it is great to have a first hand look into future growth and planning in Utah County. I don't know how relivent this might be to your conversations, but as I was dropping off plans to Murray City yesterday, I saw laying on the counter three set of plans for the new Cheesecake Factory at Fashion Place Mall. At first I was stoked because I love that place, but as I questioned more about it from a gentlemen over at Murray City, he mentioned that they are lucky to have it. Apparently the Cheesecake Factory was planning to sign on at the proposed Traverse Ridge development just Southwest of Cabela's. This man at Murray said that because of scaled back plans and other considerations, the Cheesecake Factory grew impatient with the developer and got out of their contract. Anyway, if anyone know what the status of the Traverse Ridge Lifestyle development plans are, I would be interested.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 7:40 PM
Belt Route

Welcome to the forum!

Now watch all your free time dissappear forever! (j/k)

But seriously, thanks for the info. I think that helps us see that the mall at Traverse Ridge may be pretty much dead. As for cheesecake factory, I hear it's pretty swanky.... Costs almost as much as a tank of gas! ;-)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 8:05 PM

I guess Utah got smarter in the past year since Cheesecake Factory said they could not come to Utah due to not enough Bachelor degrees. As for the mall at traverse mountain, NOBODY KNOWS! I wish someone had some info. Oh, and welcome Erector!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 8:34 PM

Funny you should mention that. I asked the same question and I was told that they indeed did a demographic study which included a 15 miles radius of the Gateway area, which includes portions of Davis County, and determined that "their" demographic did not have the same 35-50, suburban family, $60,000+ income a year to fit into their clientel. So apparently the brighter minds, and better money comes from the South side of the SL Valley and into Utah County.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 8:47 PM

Quote:
smiling bob--

dude, i'm TOTALLY agreeing with you! i really think orem has a problem with planning.

and im sorry, but STATE STREET needs some SERIOUS help! who was it that called it the UGLIEST road in america?? i would NOT like that thing running in between my city-- and where are the trees? it always seems like orem has NO trees....

don't mean to drag orem out on this, but they do have a different mentality...sort of a build it now and worry later what happens...especially with roads and infrastructure...and planting trees....

poodledoodledude
A big part of the reason Orem is so ugly is that Provo has worked hard to maintain its sense of history and keep it's sense of beauty. It reminds me of having a neighbor who spends hours keeping their yard up and your yard looks average, but next to your neighbors it looks like crap.
Provo is the neighbor with a great yard and Orem looks average.
Provo still has tree lined streets which I think add to its beauty, a defined downtown which they work to keep. University Ave. isn't the best looking street, but for a main thoroughfare it does look better than most, especially compared to State St.
Funny thing about State St. is that it's just as ugly in Provo as it is in Orem. It's too commercial in nature with no thought or planning on how to make it look better.
Provo concentrates all their efforts on downtown, East Bay and Riverwoods, but hasn't done anything that I've seen to improve State St. Too many of the business are run down car lots or closed gas stations. With UVRMC making all their improvements and building new buildings you would think it would spill over and provide opportunities to improve the surrounding area. It might still happen because it seems to work in spurts. Once an area is improved, then an adjacent area kicks in to update their look. I would like to see the stretch from Provo River to 1720 N. fixed up first. I know they have tried to fix up the strip mall where Dallas Roberts beauty school is, but all the car lots need to go. It's a big area with tons of potential.
If you come into Provo from University Parkway you get one view of the city, but if you enter on State St. it's completely different.
Sorry Wasatch, but Provo's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't like living there.
Anyone have any ideas about what can be done with North State Street in Provo?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 9:11 PM

state street...

yes, smiling bob....i can agree with you on that..and south state street in provo is the WORST of all! talk about run down, junky, etc...

you know, the first thing i'd do on state street on 1720 north and south is to plant some trees! trees go a long way....it would be a start, but it would go a long way!

kinda like how a gallon-o-paint can go a long way at improving a room. i think if provo planted some more trees on that end of town, it would look better. there is an awful lot of concrete on that part of town. that part where dallas roberts is does need to be cleaned up a bit....a nice remodel would do wonders.

...but south state street in provo needs help, needs it badly, and needs it soon it provo wants to attract any kind of development...in my opinion.

poodledoodledude

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 9:15 PM

question--

guys, question for you all...

my 'agent' owns some land down there on old state street and agreed with me whole heartedly (sp?) that south state needs work.

he asked me point blank to help him develop the land down there! he asked me with some ideas on what he could put in there....its around a bunch of residential and some old commercial on state street just south of the cemetary.

i live in this neighborhood, so i'm familiar with it....

any ideas? what would YOU put in that area??

i think it needs a good grocery store down there with all the growth going in....but it almost needs some nice single family homes and a park added....

just wondering...

what do you all think?

poodledoodledude

WELCOME ERECTOR!!! GOOD HAVING YOU!!!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 9:21 PM

I used to live down by the cemetary at the Villa Maria apartments. There is a grocery store at 300 south and state street, so another one so close may not be good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West