HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 10:02 PM
Belt Route

I'd say one of the following....

1) Highrise.
2) Freeway interchange (for the heck of it)
3) Lowrise.

Okay, seriously though, if it's what I'm thinking, I'd say it'd have to be autocentric since it's on State Street. I'd say a medi-clinic or some sort of 2-story office park, with a lot of grass and shrubs around it.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 10:19 PM

Why Cheesecake Factory would care about Bachelor degrees beats the hell out of me, and it really isn't that expensive (maybe $8-20 for entree's) so I'm not sure why they shunned the Gateway. Besides a 15 mile radius would include all of the Aves and East Bench down to about Olympus cove which includes many educated and well to do people. Of course it also includes Rose Park, Poplar Grove and Central City which are MUCH less so; so average that out and I guess it didn't cut it. I really don't see how Murray would if Gateway didn't.

Cheesecake factory does indeed have excellent cheesecake, however as far as the dinner menu is concerned, it's just a smattering of various styles and tastes with no cohesiveness whatsoever. The menu is about a dozen pages long if I remember correctly and the food really didn't leave a lasting impression on me. It's a great place to get dessert after dinner somewhere else though.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:21 PM

I would agree. I have never had anything there except the cheesecake. As for shunning Gateway for Murray, I can only see it as a more central location, and the advantage of the point of the mountain I see as just locating to a high growth area with copious amounts of future retail, that is if that retail is ever built.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:22 PM
Belt Route

What's the general price-range of Cheescake Factory? $10/person, $20? $30? La Quille-ish at $100?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:29 PM
100 days to economic ruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodledoodledude View Post
guys, question for you all...

my 'agent' owns some land down there on old state street and agreed with me whole heartedly (sp?) that south state needs work.

he asked me point blank to help him develop the land down there! he asked me with some ideas on what he could put in there....its around a bunch of residential and some old commercial on state street just south of the cemetary.

i live in this neighborhood, so i'm familiar with it....

any ideas? what would YOU put in that area??

i think it needs a good grocery store down there with all the growth going in....but it almost needs some nice single family homes and a park added....

just wondering...

what do you all think?

poodledoodledude

WELCOME ERECTOR!!! GOOD HAVING YOU!!!
South State has too much residential development and most of it's rentals. I don't know if you have enough $$$ for a developer to come in.

I know the city has talked about wanting to do something with the Ironton area, but nothing ever comes to pass. Ironton needs to be the first area developed. I would think it would need to be more commerical in nature. Manufacturing or high-tech. The are putting buildings in over in East Bay and the Riverwoods, but why not put incentives in place to build up the Ironton area?

It's just one more place to work and I think the city is busy enough with downtown projects. They'll get the the ironton area someday.

I do miss the Pioneer drive-in.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:39 PM
I want a 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBob View Post
...Sorry Wasatch, but Provo's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't like living there.
Anyone have any ideas about what can be done with North State Street in Provo?
Well, mr Bob... youre a little too country to live in the city

As for north State St in Provo, I as well agree that it is one of the biggest travesties in Provo is how ugly and under-utilized the Provo River is in the urban landscape in this general area. Its all industrial buildings or older student housing along its banks.

First off, why wasnt Provo's downtown created around its banks, I will never know. Of course this is another story...

Im not a big fan of 1200 -1800 north and State St. in Provo. When im on the city council (yes, that will happen in the not so distant future )... I want to focus on 3 main areas in Provo.

1. the city's gateway along Center St from 500 West out to I-15. This area is crucial to the city's image.

2. the future transit hub area of 6th south to Center St and Univ Ave to 9th west. Major changes need to made in this area to make sure that the FrontRunner is successful.

3. the Orem hill down to Utah Valley Regional Medical Ctr. along State St. and the Provo River.

I love Provo!

Last edited by Wasatch_One; Jun 26, 2007 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:46 PM
I want a 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
What's the general price-range of Cheescake Factory? $10/person, $20? $30? La Quille-ish at $100?
Guys, Guys, Guuuuuys. Ive been to the Cheesecake Factory on many occasions.

Seriously, nothing that special. The cheesecake is good (of course Im not a huge fan of cheesecake in general, though I did like it) ...but I agree with SLC Forme, the menu is mediocre at best. They try to bring too many food styles together to really specialize in any one area (except cheesecake.)

My guess is that it will be one of those places where people are all about the place for a year or so until the next new national restaurant comes in.

215, prices are medium range $10-$20 from what I remember.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:57 PM

Wasatch One, Now that would be cool,"You on the city council." I like all of your stated platform thus far. Also do you think you could get some momentum going to bury the maze of power lines along the Univ. Ave. gateway as you enter from Provo Canyon. I love what is going on all along that area, from the Canyon to the Riverside Country Club, but I have a pet peeve against all of those stupid power lines.
Also, did I hear you right? They are going to develop the land across from Macaroni Grill and the Riverwoods. Incredible!!!!!! I will celebrate when those old duplexes from the sixties are GONE, GONE, GONE.!!!!!!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
Well, mr Bob... youre a little too country to live in the city

As for north State St in Provo, I as well agree that it is one of the biggest travesties in Provo is how ugly and under-utilized the Provo River is in the urban landscape in this general area. Its all industrial buildings or older student housing along its banks.

First off, why wasnt Provo's downtown created around its banks, I will never know. Of course this is another story...

Im not a big fan of 1200 -1800 north and State St. in Provo. When im on the city council (yes, that will happen in the not so distant future )... I want to focus on 3 main areas in Provo.

1. the city's gateway along Center St from 500 West out to I-15. This area is crucial to the city's image.

2. the future transit hub area of 6th south to Center St and Univ Ave to 9th west. Major changes need to made in this area to make sure that the FrontRunner is successful.

3. the Orem hill down to Utah Valley Regional Medical Ctr. along State St. and the Provo River.

I love Provo!
Country???? Like Provo is the big city?

But you are correct. I am not a downtown person. I like the energy of a downtown, but only to visit, not to live in the midst of.

What's your idea about the future transit hub area? Tough to do much with train tracks cutting through the area?

What do you think North State needs to become? Retail, Office space, or one big Audi dealership?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 12:26 AM
I want a 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBob View Post
Country???? Like Provo is the big city?

But you are correct. I am not a downtown person. I like the energy of a downtown, but only to visit, not to live in the midst of.

What's your idea about the future transit hub area? Tough to do much with train tracks cutting through the area?

What do you think North State needs to become? Retail, Office space, or one big Audi dealership?
Oooooh Johnny boy, Provo is a megalopolis compared to where youre from! ...haha

Hey, and yeah, I wouldnt mind a new Audi dealership in that area, cause you know how I LOOOOVE KEN GARFF!!!

And the rest of you forumers, were just ribbin with each other. We know each other in real life. No harm no foul, eh?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 12:30 AM
I want a 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Wasatch One, Now that would be cool,"You on the city council." I like all of your stated platform thus far. Also do you think you could get some momentum going to bury the maze of power lines along the Univ. Ave. gateway as you enter from Provo Canyon. I love what is going on all along that area, from the Canyon to the Riverside Country Club, but I have a pet peeve against all of those stupid power lines.
Also, did I hear you right? They are going to develop the land across from Macaroni Grill and the Riverwoods. Incredible!!!!!! I will celebrate when those old duplexes from the sixties are GONE, GONE, GONE.!!!!!!

SmilingBob and I talk about how much we hate the substation at the mouth of Provo Canyon. We'll place removal of the substation as #4 on my list.

Yeah, they are in the rezoning phase for that development south of Mac Grill. I read something in the city council agenda about 5 months ago, so I know the ball is rolling. Also, if you look on Zillow.com, youll see that all of the properties have been bought up over the past 6-12 months.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 4:21 AM

LOADS of questions and responses....

k, guys....lots of q and a's to ask and answer:

1. notice i said a GOOD grocery store in my post... i don't consider the one on 300 south a 'GOOD' grocery store...too old, needs to be updated etc....

2. wasatch one--buddy, you are running for city council?! dude, i'm behind you all the way man....i'd be there to support you to whatever needed to be done to get you elected and fix the problems of this awesome city!!!

3. isn't that where the 14 story buildings are being built? to replace the power substations? just wondering...i know I broke the news, but im sure he mentioned that the area would be cleaned up.

4. i've also heard thru the grapevine that UDOT wants to adjust the 800 north to provo canyon intersection....not sure if the phase they are working on now is only phase I of that project, and if the provo canyon part is phase II? what have you all heard?

5. you guys ever heard of "bundy park?" my friend and i went there the other day....creepy place....i guess the rumor has it that ted bundy buried some of his victims there, and now it's a deserted park! the tables are still there, and everything is overgrown...EEEWWW...just gives me the HEEBEE-GEEBEES just writing about it....anyway, it seems like a diamond in the rough. if you dont' know where it is, it's just west of the timpanogos storytelling park....there is a small building in front of it, and some cars park there and go walking in....OOOHHH! i get the goose-bumps just thinking about my experience in there...way CREEPY! is this parks history a RUMOR, or is it legit? which city owns it? is it Utah County property? it could be a cool park it SOMEONE would clean it up!

6. i still can't get over the fact that wasatch one is running for city council sometime in the near future! way to go man!

7. when are city elections for the provo mayor? i know provo has a full time mayor, and am shocked that orem is still a part time mayor that makes like 8000.00 a year or something... ?? anyway, any news would be great on that end...

8. sooooo.....when are we all getting together for a latte or something? part of me is wanting a nice, cold, st. provo girl! yes, the drink...don't know if you are all into the 'drinking' thing, but i like one here and there...

9. i like the idea of a medical office place in that land down by state street with LOTS of shrubs...good idea.

10. what do we have to do to get some city lights down by wasatch one?? it's SOOOOO dark and creepy down there with NO lights in the city...is this a UDOT issue? as the area grows down there, i'm beginning to see WHY there are SOOOO many accidents down by riverwood....no city/state street lights....there is a couple by the semafores, and that's it....also, the striping needs to be adjusted...

thanks guys!

poodledoodledude

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 11:51 AM

Great News/ Street connecting Provo Canyon Road to University Avenue is finally being completed.

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0...194378,00.html

Stuart Johnson, Deseret Morning News.

Brandon Overman smooths concrete for a sidewalk next to a new road that will connect Canyon Road to University Avenue at 4800 North.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 4:57 PM
I want a 458

This road is long overdue! This access will ease the bottlenecks at 3700 N/Univ and where Canyon road splits off from Univ Ave (~5500 N)

As for me running for city council... haha, let me clarify myself. Yes, it is my plan but there is still some serious preparation... so Im thinking within the next few years (not necessarily the next election, but then again, who knows )

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
Oooooh Johnny boy, Provo is a megalopolis compared to where youre from! ...haha

Hey, and yeah, I wouldnt mind a new Audi dealership in that area, cause you know how I LOOOOVE KEN GARFF!!!

And the rest of you forumers, were just ribbin with each other. We know each other in real life. No harm no foul, eh?
I'll have you know we now have 3 traffic lights in town.

And about the Ken Barf dealerships. My mom taught me that when I didn't have anything nice to say that I shouldn't say anything at all. Therefore I will be silent about the Barff dealerships.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 7:01 PM

Blake Roney, of NuSkin, needed office space and rather than build a new building he's converting residential units in the Provo Wells Fargo building into office space.

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_6240934

Wasatch you need to talk with Danny and have him start a new, big time, construction project for their company.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 10:33 PM

With regard to the many developments on Traverse the general contractors and subcontractors for those projects are being asked not to discuss any of the plans. I don’t know why they are being secretive but that is what I know.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 10:36 PM

well, at least we know that there ARE contractors and subcontractors even if we have no info. I was under the impression nothing was happening.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
With regard to the many developments on Traverse the general contractors and subcontractors for those projects are being asked not to discuss any of the plans. I don’t know why they are being secretive but that is what I know.
For each development/developer or just one in particular?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
I can't imagine that any generals/subs would be under contract and then asked to wait this long. Generally when projects get bid, the timeframe is known and the contractors bid or don't bid based on whether they have time/manpower in their schedule when the project requires it. You don't usually see something go to bid and then not break ground for a couple of years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West