HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 4:26 AM

I had dinner tonight with the president of ArrowStar Development. They are the company building the Joaquin Village student housing development and they also have the lease on the former Hotel Roberts property at 200 S. University Ave. Here's some of the info he told me:

With regards to Joaquin Village, he said they're slated to go back before the Planning Commission on July 11th and this should be for final approval. It's already been approved by the City Council and for some reason it has to go back to Planning, which he said is very unorthodox, but he's planning on it being totally approved next week. He said it will be a 22-month build once they get started, so it will probably be available for Fall 2009. There is only going to be about 3,000 sq. ft. of retail on the main floor ("a small C-store, salon, hot dog stand") and I asked him why they didn't do full retail on the first floor with a grocery, video rental store, sandwich shop, etc. He smiled and said that was too big of a gamble in that area, but I sensed that there were some additional issues he didn't really want to discuss in that setting.

As for the Hotel Roberts property, he said it will likely be a couple of years at the earliest before they do anything. They own the TraveLodge that's on the north side of the block, but the operator still has a lease for a few years. They've agreed on a price with the owner of the Mexican Restaurant (Los 3 Amigos) but he said that guy is playing both sides of the fence and hasn't decided if he wants to sell or have space in the new building. He said the Post Office was not at all interested in moving until about two months ago and now they are sending a proposal, but he said it appears they will want an entirely new Post Office built on a different parcel the USPS owns right near there. Even though that building is ancient and there is a nice, big, relatively new Post Office less than a mile away (on 900 S. in East Bay), they still do all the sorting for the downtown area in the downtown office.

Anyway, he said that they were gearing up to get started earlier, because they had an agreement in place for Zions Bank to lease about 60,000 sq. ft. but that ZB decided they wanted to own their own real estate and that's when they decided to build their own tower that is soon to be announced. I asked if the announcements about University Tower and Zions would cause him to hold off on starting on his project, and he said yes. They will wait to see what happens with the leasing of commercial space in those buildings.

He said ArrowStar was one of two companies that put in proposals for the University Tower site, but ArrowStar was unwilling to include any residential in their proposal (he said they don't have luck with downtown residential) and therefore the other proposal was chosen. I'm not sure why he doesn't like to do that kind of residential (they're building all kinds of residential developments around the valley) but the Hotel Roberts property will also not have any residential. When they finally do build it, he said it would have first floor retail, then a mix of hotel and commercial. He said it would be nine floors and between 300,000 and 400,000 sq. ft.

He said that the upcoming Zions Bank proposal will not be where the Qwest building is on the west side of that block, but it will be along University and will mean the removal of most of those buildings along the street. I'm not sure about the Crazzy Canuck building specifically, but the rest of them along there (Goldsmith Jewelers, The Cotton Shop, etc.) will be torn down. He didn't say how tall he thought that one would be.

Finally, I asked him if he'd heard any rumors about a Federal Court building being built in the valley and he hadn't, but then he immediately said that if one were built, it would be on the block directly adjacent to the county courthouse and directly north of the Provo Mariott, just as we suspected. He also said that the convention center that's being planned will not be on the block between Center/100 N. and Freedom/300 W., but instead will be on the block north of that, where Zions Bank and those old movie theaters are. He said the city already has that whole block tied up, and was having a hard time consolidating the block to the south.

So, there's my news. Hope you find it interesting.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 5:42 AM
I want a 458

that was some good info!

...of course, im sure your dinner conversation had nothing on our lunch chat

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 10:02 PM
I want a 458

The Zions bank project should be announced in 1-3 more weeks!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 12:21 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
Nope, nobody is excited here....lol

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 12:35 AM
Belt Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
If that ain't a party........

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 2:47 AM
Bring out the cranes...

That's good news Wasatch_One, keep us to date.

I hope this Zion Bank Tower will be a new tallest for Provo. ( Hoping for at least 12-stories ) Can't wait to see what's in store.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 11:23 AM

This is getting pretty exciting. It would be great to break out a new tallest for Provo.

Here's something to entertain us for the day, "A new building on BYU campus."

New home for BYU TV/Trustees OK fund raising for new broadcast facility

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0...197752,00.html

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 12:12 PM

Guys, Devdog mentioned Goldsmith Jewelers being torn down. Isn't that a very well kept and attractive, historical structure?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 4:07 PM
Belt Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

This is getting pretty exciting. It would be great to break out a new tallest for Provo.

Here's something to entertain us for the day, "A new building on BYU campus."

New home for BYU TV/Trustees OK fund raising for new broadcast facility

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0...197752,00.html

I "would" theoretically work in that building..... but I doubt I'll be working for BYU-B when it's completed. From what I hear in the halls at work it's 3 years away minimum ... but they keep having "planning meetings," it this is a done deal, it's simply a question of when. I'll let you know if I see any renderings.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 4:40 PM

I'm new to this place, but I love the information that is found here! I read somewhere on this site about the new BYU Philanthropies building going up next to the old UVSC building (where I currently work) and someone had mentioned that they should tear down the old UVSC building.

Well, for what it's worth, BYU is currently working on architectural plans for a new IT building. It will be 3 stories tall and somewhat larger than the Philanthropies building next door. Demolition of the two wings at the rear of the main building is supposed to happen in a few weeks (although we've been hearing that for months now).

Those of us in the IT department currently working in the main part of the building will remain until the new building is completed whereupon the remaining portion of the UVSC building will be demolished. Technically, final approval for the building has not been given, only permission to have plans drawn up. However, due to the current condition of the existing building, we have been told that approval will certainly happen. The final plans are supposed to be finished by year's end.

Last edited by kbashby; Jul 10, 2007 at 4:48 PM. Reason: Adding additional information

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 4:47 PM

Welcome Kbashby!

Can't wait to see the Zions tower rendering. Hope it doesn't disapoint. What's the status for the tower that was just announced?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 7:08 PM
I want a 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbashby View Post
I'm new to this place, but I love the information that is found here! I read somewhere on this site about the new BYU Philanthropies building going up next to the old UVSC building (where I currently work) and someone had mentioned that they should tear down the old UVSC building....
First off, welcome kbashby! Stop by often and add some thought... there are about 6 or so of us skyscraper dorks in the Provo area.

A new building will be nice in that area, I hate the huge surface parking lots that front Univ ave., it gives such a rundown feeling to me in that immediate vicinity.

My (get ready...) Cousin's- husbands- step-dad (...ya get that?) ..developed and owns the medical building across the street, and they are building a phase II of the project soon.

With the medical building(s), new philanthropies bldg, new IT building in the area, plus the Alpine Village nearby will really help out that area along Univ Ave.

BYU basically can build what they want in this town... and with their most recent additions, I have no problem with it (Football facilities, JFS building, GB Hinkley bldg etc)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 11:14 PM

A very big welcome Kbashby, hope we'll be seeing a lot of you.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 9:44 PM

Thank you all for the kind welcome. I have lived in Provo for nearly all of my 40 some-odd years and have loved watching this town grow up.

I was glad to hear the rumor about the new medical building across the street from BYU's Philanthropies building. It had looked like they were readying themselves to tear down the rest of those old building, but then stopped. If only the people that own the Malt Shoppe would fix that place up. It needs so much more than new paint applied by bucket throwers.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 11:05 PM

Hey Guys!!!

well, after a MUCH needed vacation, i'm back!! i've missed you all.... am i CRAZY or WHAT?!

no, seriously, what did i miss??

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 11:06 PM

welcome KBASHBY!! good to have you on board man....i'm poodledoodledude....i've lived in provo since i was a kid....yeah, i've gotta get out, but i like this town....

poodledoodledude

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 11:22 PM
Belt Route

Too late to save some history....

Just what Provo needs ... more bland condos.

http://www.abc4.com/news/local/story...6916764&rss=20

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Guys, Devdog mentioned Goldsmith Jewelers being torn down. Isn't that a very well kept and attractive, historical structure?
Goldsmith is in the building just north of the nice, historical building you're talking about. I don't think that building will be torn down. Goldsmith's building is nothing to write home about, as is The Cotton Shop just to the north of that. I'm pretty sure those will come down for the Zion's Bank proposal. Since it's not going to include the site of the Qwest Building that some of us had speculated about, it's going to have to take many of those buildings along Univ. Ave. in order to have room to build.

Here is what I'm talking about:

The red outlined building is Qwest and it's not going away. The blue outlined building on the SW corner of the block is the nice two-story historical building and I don't think it's going away either. The green outline is Goldsmith Jewelers, the pink outline is The Cotton Shop. I'm pretty sure those are coming down, as well as the buildings north of them outlined in light blue. On the NW corner of that block is a stand-alone Subway Sandwich shop and a small mexican restaurant, both outlined in purple. Not sure if they will stay or not, but if the rest of the buildings along the street come down, they're going to look pretty silly in the shadow of a 10+ story tower.

Last edited by DevdogAZ; Jul 13, 2007 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 4:00 AM

^^^
Thanks Dev for the orientation. I've always liked that little structure on the corner. Glad to see there's no danger of having it torn down.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 4:07 AM

My pleasure. I'm supposed to be studying for the bar, but this is so much more interesting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West