HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 10:56 PM

The rendering looks okay, but the fact that it is the same developer/architect combo that did the building just wrapping up down at Fremont makes me skeptical. My favorite element of that project is the faux stone vinyl panels on the retail portion. I also recently found what appear to be nearly the same building in downtown Gresham.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
My favorite element of that project is the faux stone vinyl panels on the retail portion.
Me too! Who designs this shit? How do they sleep at night?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 1:05 AM

Rode by the site of this proposed building the other day and noticed the rendering -- lots of potential. Odd site. I wonder what's in store for the rest of eastern half of that block...

http://colabarchitecture.com/colabpr...sippicook.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 2:37 AM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Rode by the site of this proposed building the other day and noticed the rendering -- lots of potential. Odd site. I wonder what's in store for the rest of eastern half of that block...

http://colabarchitecture.com/colabpr...sippicook.html

Is it me or does the rendering look way out of scale compared to the adjacent house? Not a fan of ribbon windows and the lack of detail. Cheap metal panels fill in the blanks and could have ill results.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 7:25 PM

I think that's because you usually don't get to see the facade of a building like that in full elevation. So instead of breaking up the massing, or adding different levels of articulation, the design kind of smacks you in the face with it's broad side so prominent and austere.

I'm in agreement that the site has lots of potential for design cues, but that the current proposal seems rather bland.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyTao View Post
So instead of breaking up the massing, or adding different levels of articulation, the design kind of smacks you in the face with it's broad side so prominent and austere.
I wonder if the austere facade was to provide a contrast for the swash of color that is the "loggia"?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:31 AM

I think my bar is set so low with infill here that I get excited about anything that doesn't have a flying roof and vinyl siding. I like the triangle shape of this building and I think the cafe/retail space and opening on the top floor look promising. Materials used obviously could make or break it. I do have an affinity for minimalism (but also love our beautiful early-20th-century architecture that we so enjoy tearing down). Also I like the fact that this is on such a small lot -- opens the door to different/interesting things happening on the rest of those empty lots up towards Fremont. I heard rumors of an ampitheater a few years ago.

NJD, what sort of design approach would you like to see here, or in any new development for that matter?

GreyTao, welcome to the forum! Hope you keep posting!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 7:10 AM

COLAB has a lot of interesting 'speculative' projects. I absolutely love their idea for the Burnside Bridgehead and the Convention Center hotel/condo mixed-use idea.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:01 PM

Three things bother me about COLAB's (and other firms) current style:
-They look like they are designed using software-induced limitations of material choice and auto-placement on plane line features (among other limitations/auto-functions of current technology). This makes designs flat, mathematical, and easy to emulate. This project was designed for a MacBook screen, not for a human being.
-IMO This building has no architectural longevity, and will require remodeling in 20-30 years much like all the 'new' styles of the last 60-80 years (since pre-fab construction techniques/ materials first appeared).
-This style is a boring rip-off of what the dutch have been doing for decades. I would prefer a newer architectural style; one that has more material, cultural, and weather-warding roots in the NW.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:40 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD View Post
Three things bother me about COLAB's (and other firms) current style:
-They look like they are designed using software-induced limitations of material choice and auto-placement on plane line features (among other limitations/auto-functions of current technology). This makes designs flat, mathematical, and easy to emulate. This project was designed for a MacBook screen, not for a human being.
-IMO This building has no architectural longevity, and will require remodeling in 20-30 years much like all the 'new' styles of the last 60-80 years (since pre-fab construction techniques/ materials first appeared).
-This style is a boring rip-off of what the dutch have been doing for decades. I would prefer a newer architectural style; one that has more material, cultural, and weather-warding roots in the NW.
True, but

I would argue that Portland primarily needs new affordable retail, housing, and offices built in the city and neighborhoods to increase density, and do so in a manner that improves rather than detracts the urban environment. Not all buildings need to stand out.

And all buildings will be renovated at some point anyway. Nothing wrong with minimalism.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 2:58 AM

I guess I should have started out with the praise this project deserves instead of going strait to design mockery. Regardless of my criticism, I do like this development. Creative work space is always welcome, and so are the car-free amenities, small cafe nook, and light industrial space at basement level. In fact, I've been wondering why no one has helped stretch Mississippi toward the city and connect to the Russell Street area. There is a lot of DOT land down there, but really the two retail streets are not far apart. I digress, any architectural expression cannot possibly please everyone always, and COLAB's designs strike a bad chord with me... mostly for the blatant use of computer aided drafting.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 4:09 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD View Post
I guess I should have started out with the praise this project deserves instead of going strait to design mockery. Regardless of my criticism, I do like this development. Creative work space is always welcome, and so are the car-free amenities, small cafe nook, and light industrial space at basement level. In fact, I've been wondering why no one has helped stretch Mississippi toward the city and connect to the Russell Street area. There is a lot of DOT land down there, but really the two retail streets are not far apart. I digress, any architectural expression cannot possibly please everyone always, and COLAB's designs strike a bad chord with me... mostly for the blatant use of computer aided drafting.
I can understand that, they are a very high tech focused firm, so everything they do is going to have that computer design look to it, which can sometimes feel out of place in Portland...but sometimes it works when it comes to things like the Tube in downtown.

They are definitely a very unique firm in Portland that has definitely been more willing than some to try different ideas with architecture, but like any architecture, not everyone is going to like it.

Also, I am guessing that site is a bit of a challenge and most developers and architects would simply overlook such a site and leave it empty rather than try to figure out how to fit something there. Hopefully the materials they use will be of quality because bad materials can wreck any design.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 5:36 AM

This is now U/C:

...on the block between Cook and Fargo. Great to see this happening but a shame that the PDC screwed up the project on the next block designed by THA. Would have been nice to see both blocks getting some residential density at the same time.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 5:48 AM

New proposal for a four-story building in Sellwood, at SE 23rd and Tacoma.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
New proposal for a four-story building in Sellwood, at SE 23rd and Tacoma.
I'm not at all surprised. With the Orange line coming I'd expect to see even more apartments and office space around that area.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 12:05 PM

In post #1542 of this thread, Mr. Walch noted a proposal for a 5-story building to fill the south half of the block with the new New Seasons on Williams. There's now a pre-app conference notice, including drawings. Warning: link contains architecture from LRS.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 4:17 PM

Are they really proposing a surface lot with it?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Are they really proposing a surface lot with it?
Isn't the parking for New Seasons?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 5:27 PM

Yes, I think so. They're not doing themselves any favors with how they chose to illustrate that elevation.

But seriously - what on earth are they doing stepping back at the corners?

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 8:26 PM

Williams has a lot of charm now, but the degradation started with The Albert. The Rachel is next, and now LRS is doubling-down on the prison-bunker theme with this. Ugly as can be. Yes, density is good, but where's the imagination on Williams? Gone long ago, that's for sure.

The problem with Portland is that its now overcome with developers looking to get in on the frothy apartment game, with the overwhelming majority building crappy garbage like this. I can only think of a few projects that have added to the Portland aesthetic rather than destroying it, and certainly nothing on Williams.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland