HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:45 AM

Saddledome = So many missed concerts for Calgary...Sad!

Britney Spears just announced her North American tour today, and as no suprise, she is passing over Calgary due to Structural Integrity issues between her stage and the Saddledome...and she's not the first! In the last year we've missed out on Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw, Celine Dion...and I'm sure many, many more due to these issues! Love these artists or hate them, it would sure be nice to have the choice to see them in Calgary as opposed to having to make the trek to Edmonton...Does anyone else feel ripped off on this?? What options would they have to fix it, if any?? Would we just need an all out new stadium??

/rant here!!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:50 AM

Is there any way that a great new venue could be built that also manages to still be a deterrent to all the artists you list above?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:53 AM
What we play is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
Britney Spears just announced her North American tour today, and as no suprise, she is passing over Calgary due to Structural Integrity issues between her stage and the Saddledome...and she's not the first! In the last year we've missed out on Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw, Celine Dion...and I'm sure many, many more due to these issues! Love these artists or hate them, it would sure be nice to have the choice to see them in Calgary as opposed to having to make the trek to Edmonton...Does anyone else feel ripped off on this?? What options would they have to fix it, if any?? Would we just need an all out new stadium??

/rant here!!
If the act you are going to see needs that elaborate of a stage, then they probably aren't worth seeing.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:05 AM

Quote:
What options would they have to fix it, if any?? Would we just need an all out new stadium??
The problem as I understand it is that these acts all have stages that require hanging excessive amounts of equipment from the roof of the building, something that the Dome structurally cannot handle. Not to say the Dome is structurally unsound, but rather just wasn't designed for it. We're not the only city to have this problem, there are a number of other stadiums and arenas with similar limitations.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Fake News

At first I thought you were being sarcastic.

What frinkprof said.

I think it has less to do with "who" the act is, and more with the fact that Calgary is a large city, missing out on the opportunity to host big name artist...These concerts bring business to that area, generate jobs, and are culturally enlightening for the city...Love these artists or hate them...shouldn't mean the people of Calgary shouldn't have the option to see them...

I think a true "full service" arena/stadium is far more important than having a building shaped like a f&*king saddle! /rant

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:07 AM
Littering and............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
If the act you are going to see needs that elaborate of a stage, then they probably aren't worth seeing.
Good point. But the shitty acoustics in certain parts of the 'Dome make it worthless to see some shows

The fact that certain SaddleDome literature lists it's 'acoustic superiority' as a plus, is a joke. On numerous occasions, I've sat in parts of the 'Dome where any conversation on stage is garbled. The music masks the lack of clarity during the show.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Its all in the eye of the beholder I guess...Just because Britney Spears has more of a "theatrical/showman/dancing" talent as opposed to "vocal" talent doesn't mean she isn't worth being liked...Thats the beauty of art, it can be interpreted in many different ways! I don't think I need to be slagged because I like her, I was more or less asking about solutions (if any) the Saddledome could come up with to improve the integrity of the building and these stages!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
The problem as I understand it is that these acts all have stages that require hanging excessive amounts of equipment from the roof of the building, something that the Dome structurally cannot handle. Not to say the Dome is structurally unsound, but rather just wasn't designed for it. We're not the only city to have this problem, there are a number of other stadiums and arenas with similar limitations.
Thanks for the info Mersar...Do you know which city/stadiums also have this issue??

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:19 AM

Doug_Cgy, I was being a bit facetious with my reply above. It's just that you somehow managed to mention several of my most disliked artists, and I'm a guy who can appreciate a wide array of music.

Anyway, I agree that it would be great to attract more acts that currently bypass Calgary for one reason or another.

A new Saddledome-scale arena (new home of the Flames) will be built eventually, probably in under 10 years.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:21 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
I'll add myself into the snobby elitist category here, too.

Shows with a crowd of 100 people are infinitely better than the mass-produced pablum that passes for concerts these past few decades.

I swear, the 70s brought nothing but bad to society. Except Star Wars. And me.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:31 AM
Original Member since '99

the one im gonna miss is ACDC

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 8:16 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap384 View Post
Good point. But the shitty acoustics in certain parts of the 'Dome make it worthless to see some shows

The fact that certain SaddleDome literature lists it's 'acoustic superiority' as a plus, is a joke. On numerous occasions, I've sat in parts of the 'Dome where any conversation on stage is garbled. The music masks the lack of clarity during the show.
That's another problem with the roof shape.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 8:30 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

my vote is for a replacement of McMahon Stadium somewhere closer to the Stampede Grounds....or a "screw you, it was here before you were" attitude when it comes to hosting concerts at McMahon...

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 8:50 AM
effete latte-lifter

^^ You are right. The new football stadium (whenever that should happen) should be more central, and should host concerts. The current location is has better uses I think.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 3:34 PM
Community Guy

i dont mind it

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 3:55 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
i dont mind it
Of course you don't! Edmonton is like Phaneuf and Justin Timberlake et al. your Elisha Cuthbert... Btw, I still can't believe they suspended Avery!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 4:04 PM
City Maker

Quote:
These concerts bring business to that area, generate jobs, and are culturally enlightening for the city...
Okay, I'll agree that they are good for business but culturally enlightening? Hell no! They are mass produced culture hogs if anything.

Quote:
I think a true "full service" arena/stadium is far more important than having a building shaped like a f&*king saddle! /rant
Hey! Don't be dissing the 'dome, it's one of the few iconic pieces of architecture this city has.

Quote:
Thats the beauty of art, it can be interpreted in many different ways!
It's correct interpretation is as utter crap though!

Quote:
I don't think I need to be slagged because I like her...
True. Everybody has the right to their own opinion, but what is also true is that everybody else has the right to slag them for it.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:37 PM
Derp

Aw dont worry Calgary guys, we can sell out our structurally superior stadium without you having to make the gruelling trek alllllll the way up to Edmonton.
All joking aside, that really does suck though. Usually the largest grossing tours with the biggest artists are the ones with these elaborate stages. I would be bummed too.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:38 PM
Community Guy

"Usually the largest grossing tours with the biggest artists are the ones with these elaborate stages. I would be bummed too."

which IMO is unfortunate as well... sure "shows" are good sometimes, but great bands need no show, they are the show

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation