HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
You're right, Calgary is the antithesis of an establishment city. One of the few places in North America a 38 yr old brown, Ismaili Muslim professor of non-profit management named Naheed Nenshi could get elected, and no one would think twice of it. It's a very freeing civic culture to be part of.
Or a 35 year old n00b named Don Iveson...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Portland would be NW 10th Avenue (they prefix the quadrant, and streets aren't numbered, only avenues). Seattle would be NW 10th Street, also with prefixed quadrant. SF doesn't use directionals and has few numbered streets and neither does LA. Neither does Vancouver for the most part in its inner city, so what's west coastish, much less "very very" west coast?
Yes, and out East it would likely be something like "King Street" or "Victoria Avenue" or "George Street" (or "Rue St-Laurent" or "Boulevard René-Lévesque") instead of any permutation of 10th, NW, and Street/Avenue like the Western examples you just listed.

So, you're basically helping prove my point with those extra examples.

This forum being about urbanity and built form, mostly, I think it can be an interesting experiment to try to figure out (as I candidly did in the open there) where pics of random urban fabric are from, by looking at the details. Sure, had I allowed myself to do more research, maybe I would have figured the traffic lights don't merely look 'generally Western', but are instead a Calgary-specific design because of this or that tiny detail. But that wasn't the point.

Oh, and by the way, if you re-read you'll see that the "Sun & Moon Psychic Boutique" sign is what I called "West Coastish", while the numbered street grid I considered (very very) "Western", which is really not the same thing as West Coast(ish). (And yes, I know NYC is a prime example of a numbered grid It's not like there's a law forcing Western cities to have one, and Eastern cities to not have one.)

Quote:
Also, we don't use "plains" in Canada. We speak of "prairies" and Calgary isn't, in my opinion, a prairie city at all. It's a foothills city or even a Rocky Mountain city... or better still, it's a Western Canadian city.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Plains

FYI.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Portland would be NW 10th Avenue (they prefix the quadrant, and streets aren't numbered, only avenues). Seattle would be NW 10th Street, also with prefixed quadrant. SF doesn't use directionals and has few numbered streets and neither does LA. Neither does Vancouver for the most part in its inner city, so what's west coastish, much less "very very" west coast?

Also, we don't use "plains" in Canada. We speak of "prairies" and Calgary isn't, in my opinion, a prairie city at all. It's a foothills city or even a Rocky Mountain city... or better still, it's a Western Canadian city.
Calgary's western boundaries touch the foothills, but IMO it is very much a "Prairies" city just like Alberta is a Prairie province, despite having mountains and Canadian Shield and boreal forest. It embodies those same feelings and cultural traits you'll find in Edmonton and Saskatoon and Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I wish Calgary didn't have the number system, to be honest. The beautiful names our streets used to have...

9th Avenue - Atlantic Avenue
1st Street - Notre Dame Street
etc...
At least yours aren't ugly mouthfuls to say.

"Oh, where are you at now?"
"Only at MEC on one hundred and twenty fourth street and one oh second avenue!"

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
but IMO it is very much a "Prairies" city just like Alberta is a Prairie province
I didn't want to needlessly press Rusty's buttons (I don't know what they put in the water in Calgary but it sure seems to make them thin-skinned) but now that you've said it I will add that it's crystal clear that Calgary is a Prairie city.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:46 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
From your link: "The Canadian portion of the Plains is known as the Prairies."

We really do say Prairies in English Canada, not Plains. Though it's interesting that the title of a famous book (and TV show) in the U.S. is "Little House on the Prairie."

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Kensington

url]
Peaceful by Chadillaccc, on Flickr
is this peace bridge?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
From the Bow Parkade a couple of days ago.

nice view.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
From your link: "The Canadian portion of the Plains is known as the Prairies."

We really do say Prairies in English Canada, not Plains. Though it's interesting that the title of a famous book (and TV show) in the U.S. is "Little House on the Prairie."
But by definition, the mere fact that one can talk about "the Canadian portion of the Plains" concedes that the aforementioned Plains do extend into Canada instead of somehow abruptly stopping at the 49th...

I'm very aware we call them the Prairies, but when referring, say, to architectural styles that are typical of Non-Coastal Western North America on both sides of the border, I think an appropriate generic word for the broadest definition of the area would be the Plains.

It kinda sounds stupid to say "Great Plains/Prairies", like they're not geographically the same thing. God did not create this little orb with the 49th in mind

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:11 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
is this peace bridge?
It certainly is.

Peace by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:15 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Calgary's western boundaries touch the foothills, but IMO it is very much a "Prairies" city just like Alberta is a Prairie province, despite having mountains and Canadian Shield and boreal forest. It embodies those same feelings and cultural traits you'll find in Edmonton and Saskatoon and Winnipeg.

At least yours aren't ugly mouthfuls to say.

"Oh, where are you at now?"
"Only at MEC on one hundred and twenty fourth street and one oh second avenue!"

Hmmm, nearly the entire western half of the city is in the foothills, and the entire northwestern quarter absolutely.

http://www.mappery.com/maps/Calgary-Topo-Bike-Map.jpg

Downtown, Nose Creek, and the Bow Valley (southern part of the city) are the transitional boundaries between the hills and the prairie. It's quite a stark contrast once you really notice.

But yes, I guess the street names not being a mouthful is a plus, but "Atlantic Avenue" has such a nice ring to it!!!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:26 AM

I guess you're right. Entering Calgary from the east you're in the flat prairie still, but exiting the city westbound towards Cochrane you're clearly in the foothills. It's an interesting place Calgary is in, geographically.

Is Atlantic Ave used in regular conversation among Calgarians, or do most refer to it as 9th Ave? I've seen Atlantic (9th) Ave written from time to time but in conversation I usually just refer to the area as Inglewood.

I too would love to see Edmonton re-adopt some of the historic (or even newer names) for certain key roads...

124th St - Edward St
105th Ave - Columbia Ave
97th Street - Namayo Rd (maybe change it to Namao)
118th Ave - Alberta Ave

Etc.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:44 AM
ARTchitecture

Ohhh no, the old names are pretty much never referred to, at least as far as I've heard. Not once. No one would know what the other was talking about most likely The old names were just so much nicer. I forget what 17th's was, but it was wayyyyy better than some stupid number. Maybe Broadway? I don't remember.

I admit that numbers are more comprehensive for directions, but come on, the human quality of beautiful names, some with historic meaning, should trounce that crap.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 6:26 AM

17th was Notre Dame Ave.

I think the numbering system is very helpful, but it's also very utilitarian. It's function over form. I think a middle ground could be achieved and Calgary is much closer to that middle ground where certain key avenues and streets which are well known enough that people will know where it is anyways could be named rather than numbered.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:59 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Hamilton Mountain has a lot of numbered streets, and I find it a nightmare. It's easier to remember someone lives on Ottawa St. or something than being like "Wait, was it East 32nd street or East 34th? I'm pretty sure it was in the low thirties. . . "

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 2:11 PM
Change is good

Calgary is located where the grassland prairies meet the foothills.
Edmonton is located where the parkland prairies meets the boreal forest.

It's a pretty different entrance to either city coming in from either the west of the east (more so in Calgary though)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, nearly the entire western half of the city is in the foothills, and the entire northwestern quarter absolutely.

http://www.mappery.com/maps/Calgary-Topo-Bike-Map.jpg

Downtown, Nose Creek, and the Bow Valley (southern part of the city) are the transitional boundaries between the hills and the prairie. It's quite a stark contrast once you really notice.

But yes, I guess the street names not being a mouthful is a plus, but "Atlantic Avenue" has such a nice ring to it!!!

It is very hard for Calgary not to share those same prairie cultural traits considering that a good portion of the city is from Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:46 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh for sure. I didn't mean to insinuate that we're not culturally a prairie city, just that literally half of the city is in the Foothills geographically.

I don't really know if there is such thing as a "foothills city" I guess the only other major Foothills metropolis is Denver. I guess these cities could be characterized by the ranch culture which developed in/around them as the cities matured. I believe both Calgary and Denver also have major rodeo festivals. That is sort of a shared trait/heritage.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:51 PM

Both cities have a strong ranching heritage, but the difference is that Denver tries to remove all traces of that history while Calgary embraces it.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:54 PM
ARTchitecture

That's so weird to hear. I wonder why they would try to erase such an interesting and unique heritage? Like, I mean it's obviously not super unique in the grand scheme, but for major cities it most certainly is. For cities that don't have much history to begin with, we gotta hold on to what we got!!!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:00 PM

Probably because Denver is trying to give the illusion of being more cosmopolitan and urbane and high brow than it actually is, so it has to removed perceived inferiorities from its local culture. It's dumb, but it is what it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada