HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 30, 2005, 11:48 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Arrow DUBAI | Developments Thread

Culwulla's diagram

quick view

poster

Edited by malec:

I have included a few new goodies this time.

How to read my tables.

The general progress of the towers and stats, etc.

How the construction is expected to progress on these towers. For this I didn't use official schedules, just did them based on my own intuition and observation of construction of these type of towers in general. They could be wrong so nobody should take these as set in stone at all. Also this is assuming things go as they are currently going now and no major surprises, good or bad.
You'll notice I've given timetables for damac heights and the lighthouse tower which are now on hold. Work on damac heights is supposed to start soon enough and also there is a chance more work will be done on the lighthouse. I've made the timetable assuming they do get started and then a main contractor. Same with burj al alam and the pentominium.

The projected number of supertalls as the years go by.

Dubai Supertall Progress Report

Nakheel Tower

As dead as a door nail.

Burj Dubai

Cladding work has increased in speed recently

Pentominium

Piling is finished and excavation is going on to reveal the pile caps. The main contractor is ACC who have a lot of experience building supertalls. They have built or are building the princess tower, elite residence, almas tower, rose rotana, etihad towers and central market in Abu Dhabi.

One Park Avenue

Dead.

Dubai Towers

Dead

Burj al Alam

Piling work has been restarted here and is going on at a fairly quick pace. Piling is supposed to be completed at the start of the next year.

Burj al Fattan

The height has been revealed as 463m from a document from somebody working on the design. The demolition is pretty much done now. We will see soon whether this area becomes a construction site or a car park!

Bin Manana Twin Towers

Piling continues but slowly.

Damac Heights

Nothing here but there is a redesign expected and apparently Damac still want to build this in some shape or form.

Marina 106

This has gotten very slow recently. Almost on hold I think but we will see.

Princess Tower

This has definitely slowed down. The tower rises only one floor every two weeks now. Core is on the 66th floor.

Marina 101

Once the regular floors started this started rising quickly. The tower is now on the 26th floor.

The Lighthouse

Piling has been completed but this is now on hold since there has been no main contractor selected.

23 Marina

Progress is steady, not slow and not fast. They have started work on the last section of floors which is a set of 24 floors which will have balconies with pools on them. Will be interesting to see how they look. I expect progress to slow down a little because of every second floor being different. Should reach 300m in the new year I think.

Emirates Park Towers

Excellent progress here. Somewhere above the 60th floor now and should pass 300m before the end of the year.

Elite Residence

This is also very slow. They have been building the 2nd and 3rd floors above the podium for ages and are only now starting to get past.

Almas Tower

Still not completed but is actually partially occupied already.

Al Attar Tower

Progress continues on the cladding but very slow. Nothing yet on the spire.

The Torch

Progress continues to be very good here. The tower is on the 75th floor while the core is at the 77th or 78th floor. This should reach 300m in a few weeks.

Rose Rotana Suites

A completed but unused tower on SZR.

The Skyscraper

Very very slow, almost dead.

Al Yacoub Tower

Work here has picked up speed once again after going on hold for a while. The height has increased by a few floors and lots of cladding (but ugly) has been put on. The tower seems to be somewhere near the 65th floor while the core is around 2 or 3 levels above.

The Index

Very slow still but there is progress at least. Cladding at the tower is continuing at a slow pace.

HHHR Tower

Cladding work is progressing well and this tower should be complete early next year.

Ocean Heights

Excellent work here and looking great too. Tower on the 68th floor and core probably on the 70th. Should top out before the year’s end.

Infinity Tower

Work is progressing well here. The tower is on the 14th floor while the core is somewhere near the 20th.

Al Hekma Tower

Dead

Last edited by malec; Aug 9, 2009 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2005, 5:31 AM
Ascension

Aside from Ocean Heights, nothing really stands out. Burj Dubai, as tall as it is, is rather boring to me. I don't give a shit how tall it is.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2005, 6:00 AM

The day a 205 floor building gets built I'll die. They say anything over 60 floors (I think) is basically a financial loss.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2005, 9:25 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRidgeFever
The day a 205 floor building gets built I'll die. They say anything over 60 floors (I think) is basically a financial loss.
Not necessarily, it all depends on where it's built. It's cheaper to build in Dubai for various reasons so I'd say this limit you're talking about is a good bit higher there.
For example the 160 floor Burj Dubai is costing $800million while the Trump international hotel that's half the height is costing $740million according to emporis. Out of that list the Burj Dubai, the Al Burj and probably that 110 floor residential are the only buildings above this limit I think. While Emaar (Burj Dubai) and Nakheel (Al Burj) can afford to make a loss with these, the construction companies for the others cannot as some only have one tower in Dubai. It's not the government that's ordering 20 300m towers to be built but the companies decide this themselves. If they couldn't make back the money why would they bother building this high?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2005, 9:28 AM

Well malec u should think twice because nothing can satisfy those americans.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2005, 9:34 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

No need to be so harsh
Anyhoo, just found out the Burj Dubai Lake hotel is 300m but skyscrapercity just went down, AGAIN and can't get the renders and info
Will add as soon as it's up, now where the hell's that Skyscrapercity is shit thread?

OK, SSC back up and edited 1st post.

Last edited by malec; Jul 31, 2005 at 10:23 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2005, 6:33 AM
Posting Quick Reply

Hold on, so Burj Dubai's HOTEL is still taller than most buildings in America?!

Bastards.

I envy you.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2005, 7:47 AM

Al Burj and Al Durrah 2 are the only ones that are really elegant.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2005, 3:47 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Talk about fashon victims. What's going to happen in 30 or 40 years when all these towers go out of style. Can anyone say Brazilia.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2005, 5:29 PM

Question: Does anyone else feel that the buildings just seem to run all together looking like one another?

Yes the designs are different, but the overall style seems to look all the same and no longer does on building stand out. One thing that makes good architecture is one piece standing out from the rest. Just afraid the designers are getting carried away with the Jorge Jetson look.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2005, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw
Well malec u should think twice because nothing can satisfy those americans.
Woah... Hold on a sec, I need to recover, ignorance and idiocy always hit me hard...

He has a Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40336730@N08/

Old Posted Aug 1, 2005, 6:24 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU Arch
Question: Does anyone else feel that the buildings just seem to run all together looking like one another?

Yes the designs are different, but the overall style seems to look all the same and no longer does on building stand out. One thing that makes good architecture is one piece standing out from the rest. Just afraid the designers are getting carried away with the Jorge Jetson look.
Yes I agree that the styles of the buildings are pretty similar. I don't like how some of those towers look almost the same, ie: najd tower, princess tower, marina gardens and rotana hotel all look the same. As I said on SSC it's ok for 150m towers to look the same but not for 300m ones.
Within that list however, there are plenty of great designs too such as burj dubai, almas tower, al durrah, burj al arab, etc... which I feel will stand out for more than just because of height.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2005, 7:08 PM

Matty let the Dubai people brag. We know what we have right in front of us.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2005, 11:27 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Just added the estimated completion dates. I knocked back Burj Dubai by a year as it'll probably be late with construction (it's normal I guess as nobody has built to this height range yet).

And thanks to the mods for correcting the spelling mistake at the start

Old Posted Aug 2, 2005, 3:04 AM

If these buildings were American, I bet there would be nicer comments here (contrast the many praises heaped on the bland FT and awkward Calatrava).

I personally think Burj Dubai is one of the best 2000 ft+ proposals ever, together with Tokyo Millenium Tower and Miglin Skyneedle (and what's more, its actually getting built). It's Oz come to life, only much more elegantly proportioned.

The other 2000 ft+ tower I don't like. Nothing impressive but the height. I hope they don't build it - it will distract from the much nicer BD.

As for the remaining proposed towers, they are not that impressive in and of themselves, but I think they will look great together in the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2005, 3:09 AM

Insanity.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2005, 6:17 AM
▓▒░

So many tall towers and yet none of them manage to impress me. Not even that Al Burj one tickles my fancy. It looks like something that Paul Steelman would come up with on a good day.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2005, 6:23 AM
The True Avatar

Those are some prety nice looking towers for the most part. It would be cool to see them all built.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2005, 6:37 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'm lovin' the Al Burj tower.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2005, 9:16 AM

Most of them are extremely slender. I wouldn't mind a couple of big ones for a change.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations