HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
There was a Buick dealership somewhere near where the Monarch is.
Was that maybe Covert Buick?

There's also a photo on flickr from the Austin History Center of a VW dealership at 11th & Lamar.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 2:47 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^I think both probably had some dealerships, but I do remember there being a dealership at the Monarch location. They moved out, and then it was some outdoor ceramic/terracotta business that was in the parking lot temporarily while the Monarch organized.

There were others of course. Capital Chevrolet would have been one of them I'm sure. There was also a dealership around 12th & Lamar or thereabouts that famously lost a lot of cars in the 1981 Memorial Day flood. A bunch of brand new cars washed into the creek.
There used to be an Isuzu dealership on 5th near Nueces.

Not really a brand you hear much about any more, but my dad bought a truck there when I was a kid.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 4:25 PM

The Westin

Does anyone know if they've set up the crane at the Westin site on 5th yet?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 8:19 PM

From Jude's blog:

The Riley – New Development In Downtown Austin’s Warehouse District.

It's at 4th and Lavaca, where 219 West used to be. Across from Halcyon.

http://downtownaustinblog.org/2013/0...ouse-district/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
From Jude's blog:

The Riley – New Development In Downtown Austin’s Warehouse District.

It's at 4th and Lavaca, where 219 West used to be. Across from Halcyon.

http://downtownaustinblog.org/2013/0...ouse-district/

Nicely scaled for Warhouse district. Larger but not way out of scale! Yeah!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 11:33 PM

New rendering of 7Rio

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 12:22 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
There used to be an Isuzu dealership on 5th near Nueces.

Not really a brand you hear much about any more, but my dad bought a truck there when I was a kid.
I hadn't ever known that. My uncle had an Isuzu Pup back in the 90s - a small sized pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotliz View Post
Does anyone know if they've set up the crane at the Westin site on 5th yet?
They have to dig down 4 levels for the parking levels. So they won't be putting up a crane until all the dirt is removed. They might not get the crane up until the end of the year. Digging usually takes a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCrot View Post
Here it is. It looks good.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Nicely scaled for Warhouse district. Larger but not way out of scale! Yeah!
I like the scale and the presentation to the street is good. Austin could use a ton more infill like this. Personally - I'd rather see 50 projects of this scale in the CBD rather than a 1000'er. Austin has far far too much dead blocks, blighted lots and super low intensity building in the CBD to develop cohesive urbanism.

Nice progress in a few years, but a long ways to go and high-rises alone won't accomplish it. We need more projects that aren't as capitol intensive and can happen in less than ideal market conditions.

I think the major obstacle in the past to developing truly cohesive urbanism in the CBD has been (at least in large part) due to onerous parking requirements. Hopefully that problem can be alleviated.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Personally - I'd rather see 50 projects of this scale in the CBD rather than a 1000'er.
yeah i'm with you.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 10:03 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
yeah i'm with you.
Should you like to see taller towers in the CBD of Austin, then you obviously did not think your comments through. Austin is encumbered by Capital View Corridors. Should "50" more mid-rise towers be built in its CBD, on currently available property, we would not have enough room for another high-rise.

I would also like to see infill...having said that, I assume your "50" mid-rise buildings was at least a slight exaggeration.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 11:19 PM

I would love to see 50 or more of these infill buildings - on the CVC encumbered lots only which don't accommodate high rises. On all of the other lots I'm fine with 1000 footers.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Should you like to see taller towers in the CBD of Austin, then you obviously did not think your comments through. Austin is encumbered by Capital View Corridors. Should "50" more mid-rise towers be built in its CBD, on currently available property, we would not have enough room for another high-rise.

I would also like to see infill...having said that, I assume your "50" mid-rise buildings was at least a slight exaggeration.
i don't think of any of this as thoroughly as anybody here. and i really don't care. but when it comes to it, i am a practical person as much as anybody on here. yeah i'd like to see a thousand footer... but i would honestly rather infill before anything else (best to build supertalls around a cities character rather than the other way around, if it ever happens). if we start building supertalls after supertalls, it doesn't really contribute much to its character in some odd way. its a better idea to develop the city first and then start from there. if anything like it ever comes to fruition it would be several decades for that to happen. and that's still a big if. also the thing about 50 midrises... i really did not give emphasis on the number, rather i was simply agreeing with kohmet that hypothetically, it be best to infill as opposed to worry about getting a supertall.

also, i'd like to point out my continuing track record of derailing topics. it wasn't my intention to stir this into another debate of supertalls. oddly though, i'm really good at doing that.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 1:29 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I would love to see 50 or more of these infill buildings - on the CVC encumbered lots only which don't accommodate high rises. On all of the other lots I'm fine with 1000 footers.
Seconded. That kind of project above would be good along the major arteries outside of downtown and on the CVC restricted lots.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post

1. You'd be wise to not assume that I don't think about this stuff - I'm practically obsessed with it.

2. I care far far more about developing a livable, walkable vibrant downtown than I care about skyline. I'm not against tall buildings per se at all - there are great cities that are tall (Vancouver, Manhattan) and wonderful central cities that are not (Portland, Paris, DC etc.). But what matters to me more than anything is what is going on on the street, from the human perspective. I just don't care that much about skyline, at least, not in comparison to urbanism. That's why when I said I'd rather have 50 infill projects like these that activate the street, infill blighted and underutilized sections of downtown and create real urbanism, I meant EXACTLY what I said.

3. 50 wasn't an exaggeration on my part at all - in fact, I would say 50 more projects on this scale would be better characterized as "a good start".

And supertalls in Austin are going to be a rare rare occurrence (so rare we don't have one yet) if they happen at all. I'd rather not wait for one or two of these things to come along (and hope they are able to be financed, and get through 5 years of approvals without the economy tanking). So much of Austin's downtown is blighted - a lot of these projects happening can help to knit together the areas downtown to create something special.

Or to put it another way - I'd far rather be Portland, with it's squat skyline but incredibly impressive downtown than be Houston with it's marvelous skyline and disappointing urbanism.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
1. You'd be wise to not assume that I don't think about this stuff - I'm practically obsessed with it.

2. I care far far more about developing a livable, walkable vibrant downtown than I care about skyline. I'm not against tall buildings per se at all - there are great cities that are tall (Vancouver, Manhattan) and wonderful central cities that are not (Portland, Paris, DC etc.). But what matters to me more than anything is what is going on on the street, from the human perspective. I just don't care that much about skyline, at least, not in comparison to urbanism. That's why when I said I'd rather have 50 infill projects like these that activate the street, infill blighted and underutilized sections of downtown and create real urbanism, I meant EXACTLY what I said.

3. 50 wasn't an exaggeration on my part at all - in fact, I would say 50 more projects on this scale would be better characterized as "a good start".

And supertalls in Austin are going to be a rare rare occurrence (so rare we don't have one yet) if they happen at all. I'd rather not wait for one or two of these things to come along (and hope they are able to be financed, and get through 5 years of approvals without the economy tanking). So much of Austin's downtown is blighted - a lot of these projects happening can help to knit together the areas downtown to create something special.

Or to put it another way - I'd far rather be Portland, with it's squat skyline but incredibly impressive downtown than be Houston with it's marvelous skyline and disappointing urbanism.
This could go down hill like the affordable housing discussion. I think we all agree in the sense that there are room for both. A lively street level downtown isn't mutually exclusive of a downtown with lots of high rises. People wouldn't be clamoring for downtown high rise living if the excellent street scene in Austin didn't exist.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
This could go down hill like the affordable housing discussion. I think we all agree in the sense that there are room for both. A lively street level downtown isn't mutually exclusive of a downtown with lots of high rises. People wouldn't be clamoring for downtown high rise living if the excellent street scene in Austin didn't exist.
I'm not opposed to tall buildings. You won't find me in a charette moaning about how Austin used to be all cool and stuff. But they're hard to do, they're fragile things and if you're talking supertalls, they will meet incredible resistance in this city. And if I had to choose between 1 supertall and 50 of these mid-rises, I'd take the 50 in a heartbeat. We get so much more out that kind of development.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 2:42 AM

Hill Country, that affordable housing comment was funny.... We need more photos of buildings and renderings on this forum! If Shonda Novak doesn't announce a new building soon, I'm gonna start playing SIM city and sniff glue.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 2:53 AM

there is this....Courtesy of DowntownAustinBlog.

http://downtownaustinblog.org/2013/0...ng-of-block-1/

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:00 AM

Ask and I shall receive!!! Nice!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:04 AM

It does suck how the design for green has changed so much from the original proposals. I think it's gross how they've even changed architects like 3 times. I would have never rooted for Trammel Crow if I knew then what I know now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations