HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
In the midst of my first stay at the Delta. While I would say that "VG" (formerly the Velvet Glove) at the Fairmont is a better restaurant than Blaze, the rooms at the Delta are a notch above the Fairmont. Definitely not luxury, but more up to date. However, I still prefer the Inn at the Forks. If they ever signed up with one of Marriott or Hilton's soft brands I would never stay anywhere else when here.

One thing to keep in mind, when they are trying to check out opposing NHL teams there is a lot of security and the lobby can get congested. At other times things are much more casual. e.g. Bruce Boudreau was holding court in the lobby earlier this evening.
I don't think Winnipeg will be looked at as a serious option on the conference/trade show circuit until we get a few more Marriott/Starwood (SPG) hotel banners downtown. I'm still shocked True North went with Sutton Place (even considering their existing relationship) and not an SPG hotel, since it's attached directly to RBCCC. It's a serious issue for downtown as many companies will only allow employees to book at their preferred chain/network... which is almost always SPG.

Sutton Place would have been perfect for a Westin.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's a serious issue for downtown as many companies will only allow employees to book at their preferred chain/network... which is almost always SPG.
Huh?

Wherever I've I have worked, there have always been 'preferred' hotels for business travel but it's never an issue if you're going somewhere where that chain is not available. It's not like you're banned from travelling places that don't have locations from whatever chain the company has ties to. But even if it is that big of an issue for someone, there happens to be a big Marriott Rewards/SPG hotel across the street from the RBCCC.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 4:22 AM

There's lots in the city but not downtown. The Delta is the only one. I know when my people at my old employer had people come into the city, they stayed by the airport for that reason (Delta was too expensive) event though all of our meetings and business were downtown. And I know it's like this for many.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
There's lots in the city but not downtown. The Delta is the only one. I know when my people at my old employer had people come into the city, they stayed by the airport for that reason (Delta was too expensive) event though all of our meetings and business were downtown. And I know it's like this for many.
Your old employer's situation sounds exceedingly weird, to be frank. Hotel prices in Winnipeg are not that high, regardless of where one stays. I googled the Delta and they have rooms for around $140-160 a night for the next couple months. I don't get what kind of employer a) insists on SPG/Marriott hotels, but b) would balk at a pricetag of $140-160 a night.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 7:34 PM

Actually buzzg is correct. Large corporations will negotiate with a hotel chain. You give us a dedicated corporate discount code for our travelling employees, we guarantee a certain number of rooms per year. Depending on the corporation, HR may enforce staying with that chain unless there is no other option.

In Winnipeg, if your corporation has a deal with Hilton, you are not staying downtown. Marriott buying Starwood has meant that those with deals with Starwood can now stay at the Delta (if it has rooms available) rather than being forced to the airport or the suburbs.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
In Winnipeg, if your corporation has a deal with Hilton, you are not staying downtown. Marriott buying Starwood has meant that those with deals with Starwood can now stay at the Delta (if it has rooms available) rather than being forced to the airport or the suburbs.
But that's exactly it... there IS a Marriott/SPG affiliated hotel next to the RBCCC now. buzzg said it was too expensive for his former company, but the idea that a company with a Marriott/SPG deal (whose rooms tend to run at above average prices) would find the $150 or so a night at the Delta too expensive for their patronage is hard to believe.

Anyway, the point is that there is a downtown/TNS/RBCCC option for the companies locked into Marriott/SPG deals. Having the Sutton Place become a Westin or Marriott or whatever else wouldn't have fundamentally changed anything in that regard.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 10:23 PM

While at 393 rooms the Delta is the largest hotel in Winnipeg, in the great scheme of things it is not that big of a hotel as far as downtown convention oriented hotels go. It doesn't take that much to get occupancy to a decent level which bumps the rates up. As the only Marriott/Starwood choice downtown it will really focus demand.

What would have really helped more than a "Sutton Place" would have been a Hilton flag.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 9:28 PM

Big development plans from the group bringing the WHL team to Winnipeg, with some side benefits to UofM.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...504557802.html

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 10:35 PM
BANNED

I think it would be great to position Winnipeg as the North American centre of Hockey Development, as is part of their plan.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2019, 1:19 AM

It's ambitious and I certainly wish those involved all the success in the world. Thinking big is exciting and invigorating. Here's to hoping it all comes to fruition.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:00 AM

I'm sad to see the Investors Group signage has been removed from the office tower at Portage and Rt. 90. Was a nice spot for a nationally-recognized company to assert its prominence to people arriving into the city from the airport.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I'm sad to see the Investors Group signage has been removed from the office tower at Portage and Rt. 90. Was a nice spot for a nationally-recognized company to assert its prominence to people arriving into the city from the airport.
They rebranded to IG Wealth Management. I assume they’re just changing the logo.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
They rebranded to IG Wealth Management. I assume they’re just changing the logo.
I know about the rebrand, just wonder if they vacated this location with their recent downsizing..

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I know about the rebrand, just wonder if they vacated this location with their recent downsizing..

Sure this doesn't have anything to do with the fact they just moved some offices into 201 Portage?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Sure this doesn't have anything to do with the fact they just moved some offices into 201 Portage?
ya or that too! I hope another prominent company gets the signage rights to the building on portage! looks better with something on there IMO.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:42 AM
Winnipeg

I remember that Manitoba policy makers are going to release a strategic plan of increasing the momentum of private investment. Excellent news for me. In my opinion this is probably going to be one of the best news for Winnipeg

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
201 Portage is part of a new strategy on how to cater to the wealthy clients they are focusing on. It's not a relocation of offices.

They may have relocated to head office though. They moved their call centre out of portage place to the head office due to excess space after layoffs. That and there were security issues at PP. The offices were broken into a handful of times, computer equipment stolen, staff working into the evenings cited safety issues as well.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
201 Portage is part of a new strategy on how to cater to the wealthy clients they are focusing on. It's not a relocation of offices.

They may have relocated to head office though. They moved their call centre out of portage place to the head office due to excess space after layoffs. That and there were security issues at PP. The offices were broken into a handful of times, computer equipment stolen, staff working into the evenings cited safety issues as well.
Most of the people in 201 are moving to the IKEA area once their new offices have been completed.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:24 PM

What I had heard is the IG Wealth Management move from Portage @ Route 90 to 201 Portage Ave is a temporary one and most/all of the office will be moving to a new home. I had though they were moving back to their old space but were moving out to do some large scale renovations there.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Most of the people in 201 are moving to the IKEA area once their new offices have been completed.
Moving to the wasteland of south Kenaston. Terrible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan