HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Am I the only one underwhelmed by the final result?

I was hoping it would reach past 2000feet. But then again, I understand the significance of the height. I'm disappointed in the actual height of the building though. I would have loved for the building to be 1776 feet high with a spire that pierced 2000 feet.
I'm not underwhelmed at all. It's a very tall building - why would an extra 400 feet make it that much better? It's just as tall as the original north tower and it restores the downtown skyline.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 2:31 AM

the last page has some amazing pictures!

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 2:50 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
Shiny

©tectonic
The mast really makes this taller than it it by just roof. The radome would have given it more balance and depth but at least we have something that will crown Lower Manhattan as the rest of the city grows ever upward.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 4:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Man View Post
It would have be nice if they lit up One World Trade Center in red, white, and blue in honor of it becoming the tallest building in the United States.
I like this idea. You never you, they may do it.

To all those working on this building, I applaud you I would love it if this building would include a plaque of some sort of all those that worked on the construction of World Trade Center (The Twin Towers) during the late 60s, and workers of One World Trade Center today.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 4:12 AM

The old north building was 1,368' with a 359' broadcast tower above that for a total of 1,727' to the top of the lightning rod. Now we have 1,368' with a communication ring to 1,401' and a total height of 1,792' to the lightning rod. It is funny how a 359' foot tower was not to tall but some say this tower is to tall even though all you see is the part from 1,401' to 1,792' or 391' sticking above the large communication ring. 359' vs 391' only 42'

Last edited by sw5710; May 12, 2013 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 6:38 AM

Boy, its amazing how tall the SPIRE SUPPORT STRUCTURE is. It's spindly and ugly looking now (as is any unclad, unfinished building), but its really going to look great when they complete it by installing the ARCHITECTURAL ELEMENT that makes this a spire; that beautiful RADOME! ...wait, they are not going to complete the construction of One World Trade Center? 4 billion dollars and the final 20 million will not be spent? Well, at least the building is nice and it is 5 feet taller than the original north tower at 1373 feet. Maybe the spire will be completed one day and NYC will have a 1776 ft building.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 7:28 AM

Exclamation Topping Out One World Trade Center (May 10th, 2013)- ASharmaEarth411HD

On a Pleasant Friday Morning, May 10th, 2013, One World Trade Center Topped Out, Reaching a Symbolic Height of 1,776 feet!

http://youtu.be/m9aSpx6i2M0

The Installation of the Final Sections of the Spire was a well-applauded and emotional achievement. Resilience, Hope, Renewal, and Strength are words that mark's One World Trade Center's Significant Milestone.

The Rebuilding of the World Trade Center Site is known to be one of the most Massive and Complex Construction Projects to date.

Construction of the World Trade Center is Still In Progress. Moving Forward!

Track Details-
Song: Homecoming
Album: Illusions (2011)
Artist: Thomas J. Bergersen

An ASharmaEarth411HD Compilation***
Subscribe to ASharmaEarth411 and Stay Tuned For More Progress Updates!

Last edited by asharmaearth411; May 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 11:48 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
The old north building was 1,368' with a 359' broadcast tower above that for a total of 1,727' to the top of the lightning rod. Now we have 1,368' with a communication ring to 1,401' and a total height of 1,792' to the lightning rod. It is funny how a 359' foot tower was not to tall but some say this tower is to tall even though all you see is the part from 1,401' to 1,792' or 391' sticking above the large communication ring. 359' vs 391' only 42'
Hush ... some people don't want to know that. The Tiwns were perfect in every possible way, even the North Tower's mast was adorable to all, right?
I wrote a similar comment just the other day, it really is ridiculous.

Vertigo-Inducing Photo Taken From 4 World Trade Center This Morning

Last edited by hunser; May 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 12:32 PM

Now that I've had some time to take in 1 world trade center as a nearly completed building...

I think it's a decent building. It's not bad, but not great either. The spire seems awkwardly big for the building...the facade (while high quality glass) isn't particularly beautiful...and the transition from the base to tower is also awkward....

I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

I'm happy is coming close to completion...and I think it will be great for NYC. But I was hoping for something 8+ out of 10 or better.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 1:25 PM

Well you know. One persons 2.0 is another persons 9.0 Some things will be is subjective!

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post

I think it's a decent building. It's not bad, but not great either. The spire seems awkwardly big for the building...the facade (while high quality glass) isn't particularly beautiful...and the transition from the base to tower is also awkward....
I think the cladding has to be some of the best anywhere in the world, it's super slick and should age well because of its varrying reflections. The thing on top is the most dissapointing part, that should never have been allowed to go forward. It's just gross. The roof should also have been 200 feet taller, height wise it's obsolete right out of the gate. But overall I'd say the building came out very well, call me impressed!

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 2:26 PM

the cladding's been up there for months and in some places years, it needs a good washing before the building's opening.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 4:37 PM

Who agrees with me that they should light up One World Trade Center in pink to honor Mother's Day?

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 4:58 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
Now that I've had some time to take in 1 world trade center as a nearly completed building...

I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

I'm happy is coming close to completion...and I think it will be great for NYC. But I was hoping for something 8+ out of 10 or better.
Aww. I'm so sorry that this building doesn't meet your standards.

Seriously though, you're stating all these opinions of yours as if they are fact. We don't all agree with you. In fact, I think most people would totally disagree about the facade not being "particularly beautiful."

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
NY guy. This is my favorite. All the detail you can see.
As for the beacon. Will this one be brighter then any other beacons such as the one in Houston on that building. I forgot it's name.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 9:01 PM

When will they add the missing glass panels? There's a few missing on the bottom.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
Seriously though, you're stating all these opinions of yours as if they are fact.
It's wasteful to stick an "in my opinion" to something that is, by nature, an opinion. Someone being grammatically precise when they're stating their opinion doesn't degrade the value of your opposing one, but some people here sure do get defensive about it. If an internet forum was a country, opinions would be its currency.

Anyway, now that the spire is topped out, I have to say the overall picture has turned out better than I feared it might. As someone who never really cared for the radome in the first place, I appreciate the grittier industrial aspect of it, however accidental it might be. It seems to me (as an outsider) fittingly Gotham. Particularly in those shots looking Northward towards Midtown, where the spire appears to be flanked by the others.

It's amazing how much taller the building looks with the glass completed to the roof. And I love when the sun is reflecting on one of the triangular faces and it looks a bit like someone stuck a supertall version of the Transamerica Pyramid inside a jewel case.

Now I'm mostly curious about the base. With the glass fins still tucked in, it's the last piece of the puzzle, and -- with the ineffectiveness of renders at conveying textural detail -- we unfortunately can't just peek at the picture on the front of the box. It would be terrible if they just left the glass the way it is. Maybe it's better in person? The horizontal stripes aren't doing anyone any favors (said your sassiest, most fashionable friend). But I'd bet that when the fins are extended, things will shape up. Fingers crossed anyway.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 9:56 PM

does anyone else feel like the tip of the spire actually makes the rest of it look a lot worse because we get a taste of what could have been?

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 10:43 PM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
does anyone else feel like the tip of the spire actually makes the rest of it look a lot worse because we get a taste of what could have been?
I had that fear, but looking at it now from my studio in the Village, I find that it blends evenly with the 'raw' structures beneath it. It looks like a fine-tipped spear, an image much more fitting in NYC than a narwhal's tusk (as much as I did adore that tusk). It's hardly ideal, but it's a result I can live with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive