HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Saint Lawrence Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I like the look of this. There is lots more room up the street for more development as well. This will bring new life into that area.
I'm hopeful. I could see the entire area that was designated for high density being filled up with buildings up to about 15 stories in glass and steel, brick - you name it. It will really make the area start to be reborn. I must admit that part of me was sad that my mom sold my childhood home there, but I understand it. I would've easily lived in it and invested money to re-do it. So much possibility for Fairview; the lots are about 4000 square feet and have great potential.

What I would like to see done is restore the original R-2 zoning for many of the lots from the Bi-hi over to Main. For some reason, when the area was annexed into the old City of Halifax, it was down zoned (despite being built at an R-2 level in the county). So many homeowners have legal basement units, but because there are no records have to go through hell to prove it (like my mom did). It's silly. Plus; what a great way to encourage redevelopment and a little bit more density. Someone could buy a house, take it down and build a duplex and have some extra $ for their mortgage!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 3:52 PM

The general design of this really reminds me of the Paramount, except in this case the larger structure is rotated 90 degrees. Even the trim detail on the smaller building is similar.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 12:15 AM

This is the next one to start for Fares. As the picture of the building is up and the whole site is caged in.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:27 AM
we built this city

Excellent... 6955 is visible from the West End mall parking lot and I'm sure this one will be too. A little skyline is building up in that area... Craigmore would be amazing to add in.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 9:28 PM
we built this city

Question: Which street does the smaller building front onto?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 9:52 PM

^The office portion should front onto Joe Howe.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 12:10 AM
we built this city

Thanks, that makes sense given the other building to the north.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 1:04 AM

Speaking as someone who grew up in Fairview, this will be an awesome project to bring people back to the area. I also think that because the lots in the area have such affordable homes but large sizes, there could be such a great potential for new infill homes in the area.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 5:40 PM

This project now has a name, i was walking in the area and saw a sign that said Saint Lawrence Place
so if anyone wants to change the name of the thread there it is

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 3:01 PM
You talkin' to me?

Does anybody know when this one will start? I read a disapproving letter towards it in the paper today and it reminded me of it lol.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 7:17 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Does anybody know when this one will start? I read a disapproving letter towards it in the paper today and it reminded me of it lol.
Haha, really? Is there anywhere in the HRM where people aren't against development. I mean, this building will be the most attractive thing in the area.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 12:26 PM

Noticed on my drive to work this morning that there is an excavator on site poking a hole in the ground - I was on the opposite end of the lot, so I didn't get a good look.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 6:40 PM

^That would make sense. With the Trillium almost done they should be starting on this one very soon.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 4:40 PM

There is now a website for this project and the new rendering below is from it. Some design changes have taken place. It is under the apartment section of the WM Fares site, last I read they had not made a formal decision with rental vs condo, so they must have decided to go rental. I suspect this one has been bumped down the totem pole with the Clyde Street lots taking priority.

Source

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 1:29 PM
BUILD!

On the WM Fares website it claims that the St. Lawrence is going to be 13 stories and not 11. Is there anywhere else that supports this?

From the site:

"Forget about snow shoveling or lawn mowing and focus on living in elegance at St. Lawrence Place. Our Thirteen-level building features 9 unique floor plans ranging from 1,214 to 1,541 square feet of living space."

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 1:34 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Not sure, but the rendering is 13. Easier to count on the left side.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 2:58 PM

I saw some permit drawings that indicate 13 - contractors have the plans for pricing now - could see this start in the next couple of months.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 4:52 PM

I don't believe the DA approved 13 floors; I wonder if they are applying to amend it?
The new design looks better, at least for me. The two buildings seem better integrated. Still not perfect...but 13 stories in that area (to me) would at least make up for that mockery of a building on Bayers Road.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 12:57 PM
Fizzix geek

I was at mexico lindo for supper last night, and the owner had the drawings of this development on his counter and was telling every customer that they should be supporting the development to help increase density in the area.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 1:22 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I don't believe the DA approved 13 floors; I wonder if they are applying to amend it?
The new design looks better, at least for me. The two buildings seem better integrated. Still not perfect...but 13 stories in that area (to me) would at least make up for that mockery of a building on Bayers Road.
Maybe the back 2 floors in the rendering are the "basement"? 11 floors from ground level? (grasping at straws here).

Looks really good. I hope that ends up being real mortared stone not that bolt on appliqué crap we are seeing all over the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth